Help naming new lens ring mount spherical pano heads

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help naming new lens ring mount spherical pano heads

Share/Bookmark
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    Does the camera need to be so high? Shortening the vertical arm will make the unit more compact and lighter. With a hand held Nadir patch shot or a Nadir adapter shot, having the camera closer to the rotator should not present an issue. You could even make the clamp and rotator scale all one piece instead of two. Smaller and lighter still.
    Well, I don't want to make too many new parts. The rig is suitable for most cameras with lens ring clamp.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

The number 1 question still continues to be what configuration pano head is best suited for me? We get many phone calls and emails daily from folks overwhelmed with the selection process so they find it find it easier to simply contact us direct. Some calls will go on for 15+ minutes with one answer leading to 2 more questions. Finally after running through every model for their camera and workflow they will leave knowing which is best suited for their needs. And we can tell by talking to them they hardly even bother going through all the information on the website to learn about each model.
    We need selection process easier to understand.
    IMO since we already have base configurations for each series and most understand the rotator options we could offer a "custom" build option for each series i.e. - NN3 MKII-C, NN4-C. On line when they custom build they start with base components and build as needed with price determined by combination.
    The second most visited webpage on our site is the product selector. We're working on next generation interactive product selector as we speak and hope to have it completed in coming weeks.
    I would like to see the selection process kept simple so adding C for custom would allow allow those requiring very specific configurations to build to suit rather than selecting from additional models.
    We could even have simply NN-C for total custom build.
    Bill
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    IMO since we already have base configurations for each series and most understand the rotator options we could offer a "custom" build option for each series i.e. - NN3 MKII-C, NN4-C. On line when they custom build they start with base components and build as needed with price determined by combination.

We could even have simply NN-C for total custom build.
    Bill
    NN-C sounds good. But I want to create a bundle with R1/10 with the smallest config. So maybe it is better to give it a model name. we can use NN4-C for the NN4 variants because their components are from stock part list.

Nick

Fanotec

for each base series:
    NN3-C
    NN4-C
    R-C
    M-C

Bill

In my mind, that only makes it more complicated. And I'm very familiar with your products. A newbie would think that an NN3-C is an entirely different product than the NN3. Like the NEX 3 vs. the NEX c3 -- different product with similar name.

You have the NN3; NN4; R1/10 and M series. Leave it at that and then clearly list the options for each. I think that's the flaw in your web store. The options are sort of all in a pile even though there is a link from each product to those options, once you get into the options, they are not well categorized and segregated.

I could go through a step by step critique of your web site if it would help. The first thing to do is get rid of all those annoying moving introductory pictures. And be more complete for example, on your nodalninja.com site, you only mention the NN3 MKII and the M1 in the sliders. Then in the menu, your Products and Store are all out of sync. And on the Products, you still show the NN5/5L and the NN180 as products when they are discontinued and should be in the discontinued category only.

I could go on but there's really a lot wrong with your store and web site. You should contract a good web designer.
    Last edited by DemonDuck; 06-30-2012 at 12:01 PM.
    Users Country Flag

About product selection guide.
    Let's face the fact. Despite the detailed specs and product brochures, how much time did you spend on selecting a camera, a phone, a printer........
    The choice may be very simple - any current one will be fine for you. But if you want the best value for your current and future need, you need to do some home work. Usually, I search for reviews and forums.
    our product line is still quite simple, if a customer just want a model suitable for him/her, I can easily make a recommendation. But only he/she can make the best choice for himself/ herself.

Nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    for each base series:
    NN3-C
    NN4-C
    R-C
    M-C

Bill

An alternative for C (custom) is BTO (built to your order).
    What about NN3 BTO? Does it sound better?

Fanotec

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    About product selection guide.
    Let's face the fact. Despite the detailed specs and product brochures, how much time did you spend on selecting a camera, a phone, a printer........
    The choice may be very simple - any current one will be fine for you. But if you want the best value for your current and future need, you need to do some home work. Usually, I search for reviews and forums.
    our product line is still quite simple, if a customer just want a model suitable for him/her, I can easily make a recommendation. But only he/she can make the best choice for himself/ herself.
    Nick
    I'm sure this is what the majority of people are doing but we still get the questions coming in on phones, emails and FB that we need to answer and certainly don't mind doing so. 99.9% of customers are friendly and a real pleasure to work with. We usually fit most into the NN4 and go up or down from there depending on equipment and workflow.

We will be working on doing up some videos that show all models and maybe even show some side by side comparisons.
    Having a display room at our offices is great too for those that live close by and those passing through. We have one customer that enjoys driving up from Tucson (2 hrs) every couple of months just to have hands on with new stuff.
    If anyone is every passing through the Phoenix area you're welcome to stop by our offices to see our lineup. It is advisable to call first (480-659-9899) so we make sure we have the time set aside to show you things. Our offices are on ground level and handicap accessible.
    Excuse any messes - we are a working office :-)

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    An alternative for C (custom) is BTO (built to your order).
    What about NN3 BTO? Does it sound better?
    IMO if it was between C or BTO I would vote for C

It should just be NN3 and on the NN3 page there should be an Options menu. The NN3 is the base kit and the options are replaceable like the rotator and/or plate. You are making it more complicated than it needs to be.

With your new web site, you don't even need your store anymore. Each page should be the gateway to the product purchase with options. Amazon doesn't have a store -- it is the store. Be like Amazon.

Here's what your first page should look like:

Nodal Ninja full spectrum provider for all your panoramic photography hardware needs. Sold World wide to begining amateurs and leading edge professionals. Our clients include (Google, NASA etc. etc)

Then below that blurb telling people who you are you have a small section on each of NN3; NN4; M series and R series.

For example:

NN3 is a small, light versatile conventional mount panoramic head for single row and multi row panoramas for cameras from compacts to small DSLR's and the new mirrorless cameras.

When the user clicks on that section, he's taken to the page where he can configure and purchase the NN3 and any accessories and go directly to checkout.

Your web site is an implicit questionnaire where the user answers implicit questions and is lead through to the final determination of his needs. You don't need a product selector either.

I think I've probably said too much so I will leave it here .....
    Last edited by DemonDuck; 06-30-2012 at 02:34 PM.

I think that DemonDuck has a good point here.

Whilst I agree totally with Nick that most prospactive purchasers will do their homework I do think that lots of different suffixes can be confusing and DD's suggestion is used on car websites where the user starts with a model then choses the configuration (e.g. trim, wheels, engine size, fuel, etc.).

As DD suggests, listing the main products with a good description lets the prospective purchaser home in on a product then good explanations of the features and options enable them to decide if this the right choice or to go back and focus on a different product, which is what I do when looking at lenses for example.

Hugh.
    Last edited by Hugh; 07-01-2012 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Addition thoughts
    Users Country Flag

The NN range of heads and components has increased vasltly over the last few years.
    The difficulty for a user now, is what can fit to what.

I suspect components need to have a simple way of indicating "what" they can be made to fit.
    Such as this componet can fit "A" "b" "C" head, or only "A" "C" Where "ABC" are included in the codes of the heads.

I expect there is doubt in the minds of every one, including the resellers.

Great feedback guys and much appreciated. We'll work over the coming months to fine tune things a bit.
    We're also monitoring visitor paths with in-depth onsite tracking and advanced analytics. I want to point out also that "most" find what they are looking for. But it's a percentages thing and there will always be a small percentage that still need a bit of guidance with product selection.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Terrywoodenpic View Post
    The NN range of heads and components has increased vasltly over the last few years.
    The difficulty for a user now, is what can fit to what.

I suspect components need to have a simple way of indicating "what" they can be made to fit.
    Such as this componet can fit "A" "b" "C" head, or only "A" "C" Where "ABC" are included in the codes of the heads.

I expect there is doubt in the minds of every one, including the resellers.
    This is why I suggested an Options menu on each specific page. For example, on the NN3 page, only those options and accessories that actually fit and function on the NN3 are listed. Simple decision by exclusion.

More A's and B's and C's and Ultimates and Marks and all that other descriptive verbiage only confuses and becomes even more hard for the web site to stay consistent.
    Last edited by DemonDuck; 07-01-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Given the current line-up I'd say this looks like a Nodal Ninja 2 to me ;-) Or a NN3-LensMount.

I'm certainly interested... for my OM-D E-M5 + Samyang 7.5mm system, to give me something lighter than the NN3 for back-country hiking and capturing the full 360x180.

Looks like the nadir adaptor would work with this config as well.

Any idea when this will hit the market?

Andy.
+ Reply to Thread