Help naming new lens ring mount spherical pano heads
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: Help naming new lens ring mount spherical pano heads

Share/Bookmark
  1. Help naming new lens ring mount spherical pano heads

    #1
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,476

    People have been requesting a multi-row lens ring mount pano head. I think it is time to make them happy.
    The first model use the vertical rail from NN3 and QRC-40B from the Ultimate line. A new upper rotator is made to fit QRC-40B. Lower rail from NN3 can also be used. But I decide to make a shorter rail to use with the new rotator mini. The result is a compact spherical lens ring mount pano head.




    Can you suggest a good name for it? what about one that utilize the lower rail of NN3?

    Here is a bigger model using the vertical rail and upper rotator of NN4.
    I also make a shorter lower rail for it. For camera and lens above 1.25kg, this model is needed. Of course, rails from Ultimate line can also be used. So it can be a hybrid of NN4 and Ultimate M series.



    Can you suggest a good name for it? what about one using the original long lower rail of NN4?

    Thx a lot in advance.

    Nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  2. #2

    Those are well engineered products.

    But all you had to do was put this:
    http://store.nodalninja.com/index.ph...-8mm-f3-5.html
    on this:
    http://store.nodalninja.com/index.ph...ing-plate.html

    And then we wouldn't have to buy a new upper rotator and install it and then buy a quick release clamp.
    Just saying....

    That new smaller lower rail looks useful but won't fit on my NN3 rotator.
  3. #3
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Saddleworth UK
    Posts: 242

    The problem here for naming, is that you are doing a mix and match of components from the various systems.
    No doubt people will come up with their own selection depending on the camera and lens, that they need to match.

    You could have a a section of combined special purpose components.
    offering the components that the customer would need to make up a particular configuration.

    This would show the various configurations and parts lists ( existing users would only need to purchase additional parts that they did not have)
    New users could buy the whole kit.
    Naming would then be limited to the full kits. Kit A B C etc.
  4. #4
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,476

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrywoodenpic View Post
    The problem here for naming, is that you are doing a mix and match of components from the various systems.
    No doubt people will come up with their own selection depending on the camera and lens, that they need to match.

    You could have a a section of combined special purpose components.
    offering the components that the customer would need to make up a particular configuration.

    This would show the various configurations and parts lists ( existing users would only need to purchase additional parts that they did not have)
    New users could buy the whole kit.
    Naming would then be limited to the full kits. Kit A B C etc.
    Hi Terry,

    Yes, naming is challenging in this case. That is why I ask. We will at least have 2 models as shown. They do not include lens ring or upper rail.

    Nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  5. #5
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,476

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    Those are well engineered products.

    But all you had to do was put this:
    http://store.nodalninja.com/index.ph...-8mm-f3-5.html
    on this:
    http://store.nodalninja.com/index.ph...ing-plate.html

    And then we wouldn't have to buy a new upper rotator and install it and then buy a quick release clamp.
    Just saying....

    That new smaller lower rail looks useful but won't fit on my NN3 rotator.
    The lens ring plate for NN3/4/5 is also ready. So you should also be happy. :-)
    Price is $30.

    Nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  6. #6
  7. #7
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Saddleworth UK
    Posts: 242

    Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    Hi Terry,

    Yes, naming is challenging in this case. That is why I ask. We will at least have 2 models as shown. They do not include lens ring or upper rail.

    Nick
    What ever you end up calling these, you must also list the components separately, existing users are always thinking up new unexpected ways to use things.
    For naming...
    I would invent a new category of "Special component based heads" and name these as multi row ring heads" within that category. adding light duty or heavy duty as required.
  8. #8

    This just popped into my head --- Ring mount adapter kits for XXX --- 'cause that's what they are.

    Actually, there is not a general name for the three arm style pano head.
  9. #9
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: Ottawa, Canada
    Posts: 13

    How about MRR, pronounced "em are squared" for multi-row ring.
    Numbers could be added to the end for different models like MRR3 and MRR4. Not sure about the model using modular parts, maybe MRRM.

    Kevin.
    Last edited by KevinM; 06-25-2012 at 08:09 AM.
  10. #10
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Sep 2009
    Location: Los Angeles, CA
    Posts: 361

    Does this mean that I don't need to make any more adapters? Darn.

    A lens ring mount pano head. Finally a factory option has arrived. Good job.

    Nice to see that you put the Arca clamping knob opposite the lens ring clamp. I can't tell you how many times I grabbed the wrong knob. Although for right handed people, it is just a bit awkward. I removed the lens ring knob and replaced it with the bolt that hold on the lens ring knob. Problem solved.
  11. #11

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    Does this mean that I don't need to make any more adapters? Darn.
    A lens ring mount pano head. Finally a factory option has arrived. Good job.
    I remember a lot of nay sayers.
  12. #12
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,476

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    Does this mean that I don't need to make any more adapters? Darn.

    A lens ring mount pano head. Finally a factory option has arrived. Good job.

    Nice to see that you put the Arca clamping knob opposite the lens ring clamp. I can't tell you how many times I grabbed the wrong knob. Although for right handed people, it is just a bit awkward. I removed the lens ring knob and replaced it with the bolt that hold on the lens ring knob. Problem solved.
    the smaller model really shines with the Sony Nex system. I guess the lens ring works for lots of Nex lens. I may need to make a longer lens ring plate though.

    Nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  13. #13
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Sep 2009
    Location: Los Angeles, CA
    Posts: 361

    Does the camera need to be so high? Shortening the vertical arm will make the unit more compact and lighter. With a hand held Nadir patch shot or a Nadir adapter shot, having the camera closer to the rotator should not present an issue. You could even make the clamp and rotator scale all one piece instead of two. Smaller and lighter still.
  14. #14
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Sep 2009
    Location: Los Angeles, CA
    Posts: 361

    Nick,

    You are still thinking too big. A Pano Head for the NEX type of camera can be much smaller. The size difference between the largest fisheye and smallest standard lens cannot be much more than 3/4". Since you will be grabbing onto the lens, that translates into a maximum sideways adjustment of only 3/8" or so. Think inside the box, really small. Size does matter.

    Dennis

  15. #15

    I use an SPH2 on my monopod. It's even smaller than the NN3 and there's still dead ends of metal hanging off the lower rail and tilt rail. The vertical rail could be a little shorter depending on which lens.

    The NEX cameras are really tiny and light. All current panoheads are way over kill for them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •