NN5 for mosaics

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN5 for mosaics

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN5 for mosaics

Hi everyone,

I have zero experience in panoramic photography and I would highly appreciate any help from experienced photographers.

Gear I use:
    Canon 60D, no battery grip
    Canon 100/2.0 EF
    Canon 200/2.8 EF L

Is NN5 strong enough for 200mm lens or I better go for M1? This is not simple question for me because if NN5 will do the job than why should I spend extra money for M1 which maybe overkill in my case.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nostromo View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have zero experience in panoramic photography and I would highly appreciate any help from experienced photographers.

Gear I use:
    Canon 60D, no battery grip
    Canon 100/2.0 EF
    Canon 200/2.8 EF L

Is NN5 strong enough for 200mm lens or I better go for M1? This is not simple question for me because if NN5 will do the job than why should I spend extra money for M1 which maybe overkill in my case.
    M1 is much stronger than NN5. When the light is low, it allows you to use slower shutter speed. It is just like tripod, some people always buy the most sturdy tripod.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Is M1 much heavier than NN5? I was not able to find direct comparison between M1 and NN5. For me size and weight is important.
    Users Country Flag

M1L RD16 is about 1.6kg. NN5 Rd16 is about 1.15kg.
    However, the material for M1 is much stronger.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Nostromo,

to cut all your questions short,

M1L RD16 is a great panohead. The only one you can get right now which handles 2,5° intervals in upper rotator and can handle your lens and equipment, inclusive 70-200 lens is NN5 RD16. In case NPP is behind sensor like Nikkor 70-200mm, you just swap the upper rail to the front. Nikkor 70-200 is much heavier and longer than your 200mm/f2.8 Canon lens isn't it? I used my NN5 a long time with D3 and all the big boy lenses like 14-24, 24-70, 70 -200. In case of very heavy side winds to the equipment, I talk of 6bf, the M1 is more stable.

So if you can not wait for M2, go for the NN5 with Nadir Adapter right now and use the RD16 on M2 in the future.

Cheers,
    Heinz

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    M1L RD16 is a great panohead. The only one you can get right now which handles 2,5° intervals in upper rotator ...
    The upper rotator has a minimum pitch increment of 7.5°. The RD16 has a 3.75° minimum yaw increment.
    John
+ Reply to Thread