NN4 vs M1!!!

Thread: NN4 vs M1!!!

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN4 vs M1!!!

Hi all! I work with a NN3 (old) at -15 °, Nikon D7000 and Nikon 10.5mm. I want to change the NN3! Which is better for the equipment I have? The NN4 or M1? What differences have these? What is the difference between M1-L and M1-S?

I appreciate your support!

Vedder
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Vedder View Post
    Hi all! I work with a NN3 (old) at -15 °, Nikon D7000 and Nikon 10.5mm. I want to change the NN3! Which is better for the equipment I have? The NN4 or M1? What differences have these? What is the difference between M1-L and M1-S?

I appreciate your support!

Vedder
    NN4 has similar build quality to NN3. It is just bigger and stronger and with 15 deg interval lock on the upper rotator.
    M1 is much superior in quality. It has 7.5 deg interval lock on the upper rotator. It is modular in design and will be more upgradable.
    M1S is smaller and lighter version for fisheye users without sung battery grip. M1L is for all lens type and support battery grip.

All models work for your current camera and lens. And each is worth the price. So it is just a matter of your budget.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Vedder,

NN4 is developed for Lighter Equipment end lenses up to 100mm while M1 is the end of the line for Bigger Equipment and longer lenses. The different in upper rotators: NN4 goes with 15º intervals with different presets possible while M1 has already 7,5º intervals.

NN4 has a lot of possibilities upper rotator settings with varieties in upper rail horizontal presets.

NN4: 0º 15º 30º 45º 60º 75º

NN4 5º Preset: 5º 20º 35º 50º 65º 80º

NN4 7.5º Preset: 7.5º 22.5º 37.5º 52.5º 67.5º 82.5º

NN4 10º Preset: 10º 25º 40º 55º 70º 85º

NN4 has fixed set of rails in upper, lower and vertical rail. M1 has different lengths to serve as upper and lower rails. In total the rails are longer on M1 than NN4. NN4 rails are slightly shorter than old NN5 rails. This means on M1 you can use longer focal lenses that need a 210mm rail for example like 70-200 or 24-70mm nikkor lenses.

M1 uses fixed positions for the camera and slides the rail in clamps into NPP position. NN4 works similar to NN3 with camera clamps.

M1 has click stops on all clamps. Using the new camera plates you have a automatic centered position for repeatable accuracy.

M1-S is less stable compared to M1-L, thinner rails with one side arca style attachment instead of two sides on M1-L. In total the rails are shorter on M1-S: 160mm instead of 170 - 210 on M1-L.

The central point is that you have to decide what camera lens combination you like to use. If you like to use lenses > 100mm lenses, you have to go for M1-L.

There will be a M2 version in the future for lenses like 300mm/f2.8. Most of M1 parts can be used for M2. From NN4 you can stay with the RD16 only.

Right now NN4 will serve your needs. Lighter, cheaper. M1 would be your Rolls Royce.

Heinz

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post

M1 uses fixed positions for the camera and slides the rail in clamps into NPP position. NN4 works similar to NN3 with camera clamps.
    I wish there was a video or photo to explain this feature

If you look at the photos at http://store.nodalninja.com/pano-heads/m1.html (click on View Product), you will be able to see that there is an Arca style clamp mounted onto the upper rotator. The camera is mounted at a fixed position on the upper rail (one end), and adjustment to the NPP is achieved by sliding the upper rail forwards and backwards in the rotator clamp. Being a modular system, it is also possible to contrive a configuration in which the rail is clamped at a fixed position and the camera is mounted on a QR plate that slides along the rail, as in the NN3/4/5.
    John

Now I see, thanks!

But what if NPP happens to be behind sensor? Is there a way to slide upper rail in proper position ?
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nostromo View Post
    Now I see, thanks!

But what if NPP happens to be behind sensor? Is there a way to slide upper rail in proper position ?
    you just reverse the upper rail and reverse mount the camera.

Nick

Fanotec

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    NN4 has similar build quality to NN3. It is just bigger and stronger and with 15 deg interval lock on the upper rotator.
    M1 is much superior in quality. It has 7.5 deg interval lock on the upper rotator. It is modular in design and will be more upgradable.
    M1S is smaller and lighter version for fisheye users without sung battery grip. M1L is for all lens type and support battery grip.

All models work for your current camera and lens. And each is worth the price. So it is just a matter of your budget.

Nick
    Wacky idea #3890

If you used a crown gear on the upper rotator with a spring loaded compression nut, you could get a finer interval with the same precision. You could easily get a 5 deg interval with precision and durability.

Hi, thanks for the info! I work with a Nikon 10.5mm at -15 °, I can work well at -15 ° with NN4? Another question, I have the RD16 Rotator, but I have to buy another rotator! I want to buy the RD4, works well with NN4, right? Last question! What other accessories do I have to buy to work well with NN4??

Thanks for your help!

Can anyone help me with these questions?

Thank you!
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Vedder View Post
    Hi, thanks for the info! I work with a Nikon 10.5mm at -15 °, I can work well at -15 ° with NN4? Another question, I have the RD16 Rotator, but I have to buy another rotator! I want to buy the RD4, works well with NN4, right? Last question! What other accessories do I have to buy to work well with NN4??

Thanks for your help!
    Yes, it works fine for you. you can use RD16 on NN4, no need to get a RD4. But you can use RD4 if you will.

Nick

Fanotec