Leveling the M1-L

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leveling the M1-L

Share/Bookmark
  1. Leveling the M1-L

Users Country Flag

For what its worth...
    Bought the EZ-Level with my NN5; does a good job - glad I have it. Intended to buy another when I bought the M1-L but was told not to as it had a tendency to drop off. Now, I use Manforto's leveling center column as my primary levering device; I set the tripod legs to the height I want the camera to be at and then leave them alone. With the NN5, the EZ-Level is my "fine tuning" and adjustor as I move around the circle. I also have Manfroto's leveler, the equivalent to the EZ-Level but it is much more heavy duty (and heavier)(got it before I discovered the leveling center column). Got it out to try with the M1-L and I think it works great for fine-tuning.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BaltimoreBob View Post
    For what its worth...
    Bought the EZ-Level with my NN5; does a good job - glad I have it. Intended to buy another when I bought the M1-L but was told not to as it had a tendency to drop off.
    This issue is only for heavy camera and lens using nadir adapter in the swung out configuration. The camera and lens are too far away from the leveler, generating a large bending torque. It is still safe to use though.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Bob,

once you swung out for Nadir2, in some cases the Nadir Adapter will move inside the "legs", opposite side of the camera. But then you re level with Ez-Leveller II, and everything is fine again. At first check that all the "legs" are fixed at medium position. Plus use the counter screws. It works fine and I always use the EZ- Leveller for fine tuning. My experience with it is very good. Even with D3 14-24mm/f2.8.

Heinz
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    This issue is only for heavy camera and lens using nadir adapter in the swung out configuration. The camera and lens are too far away from the leveler, generating a large bending torque. It is still safe to use though.

Nick
    I did buy the M1-L for use with my D3 and my "heavy lenses" and I believe I so said when asking questions during purchase - my comment was NOT a critism but rather what I thought might be helpful...
    Users Country Flag

Bob,

Thx for your helpful comment. I added mine, because there have been comments on the forum not to use the Ez-Leveller II, because it might move inside the"legs" with heavy equipment. I like it and use it for all my equipment.

Heinz

BTW: Did you already receive your QR40A and U3 camera Plate for D300s and NN5? How is it going?

When I have my Nikon D700 24-70 lens on M1-L with nadir adapter leveled with Ez-Leveller II perfectly, after turning it 180 degrees bubble on LR goes outside the circle significantly. Whatever I do I can't keep it in the middle of the circle all the time. I'm new in pano photography so It might be silly what I'm writing, please let me know is it normal, do I need to adjust level few times during a head spin? Thnx a lot.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Leon,

Just level the bubble once before first shot. Then take your shots around. Doing this, the bubble will move without any consequence for the stitching. This is normal. Do not re level during head spin.

Using the Nadir Adapter, re level after you have opened up the Nadir Adapter for Nadir 2 shot. You will have some torque on the system which can be easily leveled with EZ-Leveller II.

We know about this question, you are not the first one.

Heinz

Cool, thnx for your help. You sawed me lots of scratching head :)
    Users Country Flag

Since the legs on my Manfrotto tripod are so easy to adjust, I do not use any sort of leveler. The result is no flexing of any part of my rig when I swing the camera out for the Nadir patch shot. No need for re leveling for the patch. Because my panoramas are spherical, leveling the pano head is not critical at all. I get it close then do the final leveling when I stitch.
    Users Country Flag

Heinz, I somehow missed your question... Sorry
    Yes, I did receive the QR40A and U3 for my D300 - They work great!
    Again - many thanks
    My next project is a plate for the D800 which I got yesterday - a quick look seems to show that the U3 will do the job for the 800 on both the NN5 and the M1-L.
    Bye the way, looks like Nikon took a lesson from NN and listened also. The D800 has a focal plane mark on the top of the body to the left of the control panel and the manual states that "The distance between the lens mounting flange and the focal plane is 46.6mm (1.83 in)"
    Last edited by BaltimoreBob; 06-08-2012 at 01:18 PM.
+ Reply to Thread