Small new toy

Thread: Small new toy

Share/Bookmark
  1. Small new toy

Today i get myself a new toy for making vr panoramas:

a shorter centre column for my Manfrotto tripod:

The price was also small: € 29,20
    Users Country Flag

The way it looks I take for granted that it is NOT a leveling column - if I am worng, please - post the details and where you got it. I have the standard length leveling center column which, on the one hand is a boon, on the other its length is a pain.

Hello Seacat,

How are you getting on with your short centre column?

I was looking at the possibility of buying one at the end of last year when I found that the centre column on my Manfrotto tripod seemed to be always in the way of my nadir shot when using the Nadir adaptor.
    I plan to make some experiments having read the advice from Heinz, but this looks like a good solution.

Best regards, Hugh.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Hugh,

May be I might step in. It works fine, for 055 tripod you might have to turn around the rubber ring to get a flat surface. For both center columns shown in Seacat's thread, you can take off the rubber cup and replace it with 055 LAA Adapter. This will add a 3/8" screw to the bottom end of the center column in case this is needed.

The short center column will not show in Nadir1 shot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4149.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4150.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	539Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4148.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	538

Sorry, I do not know why my Pics in portrait mode are turned around uploading to Forum. May be someone else knows. Would be nice for me to get to know. The last pic shows Manfrotto 555B center column for comparison.

Cheers,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 03-12-2012 at 10:09 AM.
    Users Country Flag

http://www.dlsphoto.net/M1PanoHeadMods/

Scroll down to see the short center column. Since the tripod legs on my Manfrotto tripod are so very easy to adjust, I do not use any type of leveler.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    http://www.dlsphoto.net/M1PanoHeadMods/

Scroll down to see the short center column. Since the tripod legs on my Manfrotto tripod are so very easy to adjust, I do not use any type of leveler.
    Hello Dennis,

Yes, I agree.
    Before acquiring my Manfrotto tripod I used a Survey tripod and tribrach, which gave me rock solid platform and the tribrach is perhaps the ultimate leveler as it has a very precise bubble, but its a heavy and cumbersome bit of kit to carry around, so I am very happy with my NN3 and Manfrotto.
    I am just contemplating following Seacat's lead and getting a short column.

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    The short center column will not show in Nadir1 shot.

Sorry, I do not know why my Pics in portrait mode are turned around uploading to Forum. May be someone else knows. Would be nice for me to get to know. The last pic shows Manfrotto 555B center column for comparison.

Cheers,
    Heinz
    Thanks Heinz,
    I will now probaly go ahead and follow Seacat's lead.
    As for the pictures being turned around - who knows?
    In England we balme it on the "gremlins" - no doubt you have something similar in Holland?
    ... that's computers for you, but even sideways they convey the right information!