considering R1 for pole pano's
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: considering R1 for pole pano's

Share/Bookmark

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Nothing to do with stability of NN4. NN4 will be stable on it's own. It has to deal with stability of the pole itself. Dealing with the weight which is set on top, center weight, torque which is set to top of pole because the weight of camera lens combination in most cases is not centered to bottom of pole, etc.
    well thats what i meant, not the actual stability of the nn4, just the weight up there. cutting back on weight/ center of gravity by using a R1.

I've actually come up with a pretty good solution, to support the weight of the nn4 up there.

as soon as it stops raining ill test it out, but I'm 99% sure my solution will work.
    Users Country Flag

We think using a long cable to control the tilt is below customer expectation
    It all depends on how it is implimented. On a tandem bicycle (bike built for two) long cable runs are used for controlling the brakes and shifters. The brakes and derailleurs have stiff return springs. If the upper arm on the pano head had a return spring, you could use the same cable/housing setup a bicycle uses.
    Thumbs up

Now that's a good idea. Something like an index shifter. You could click through several different angles -- and then go back.

Very Good!!!
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    It all depends on how it is implimented. On a tandem bicycle (bike built for two) long cable runs are used for controlling the brakes and shifters. The brakes and derailleurs have stiff return springs. If the upper arm on the pano head had a return spring, you could use the same cable/housing setup a bicycle uses.
    That still requires a 6m cable for 6m pole.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Bike cables are reliable and simple. No batteries. Light weight. Could be on the inside of the pole.

Waiting with interest for your surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    Bike cables are reliable and simple. No batteries. Light weight. Could be on the inside of the pole.

Waiting with interest for your surprise.
    couldn't be on the inside of the pole, unless the pole was a fixed length. the nicks pole design (and any pole design) has to be extendable. and if you just make a 6m cable, what if you do a pano at 3m? then you got 3m of cable to get in the way.

what i have done with my manfrotto stand, it have support cables, but i have 4 different lengths so i can do 4 different heights with no problem. with your idea, it would have to be similar, have a few different cable options supplied, but a quick change connection of the cable would have to be used.

The way bike cables are used is to put them in a cable guide. The guides are fixed to hard points and the cable guide is free to flex and move all it wants and the cable stays the same length. If the cable guide is coiled, it might (but maybe not) be able to be coiled inside the pole. Maybe not for really long poles.

But Nick already said he has another way so this is just all talk.
  8. simple is best?

a 'handgrenade' pin that you pull after the first set is done?

(A cotter pin would be pretty damn small and cheap- available anywhere in case lost, string is provided by the end user)

the trick would be keeping the tension on pulling the pin right so as to not blow the position-

a solution might be two half grooves on both sides of facing plates allowing the axle of vertical motion
    when you align the grooves (camera tilted up) the hole idents would be aligned and would be open facing as near straight down the shaft as practical- keeps the line of force even with the pole.

the tension for the rate of drop could be adjusted by the tightness of the axle.

run it up, shoot the top row, pull the pin and the rig drops, shoot second row.