help with Samyang/Rokinon 8mm & R1

Thread: help with Samyang/Rokinon 8mm & R1

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. help with Samyang/Rokinon 8mm & R1

Hello - I've just ordered the R1 Adjustable Tilt Ring Mount Package & EZ Leveler II.
    I'll be using the Rokinon 8mm with Nikon.
    Does anyone use this combination? I've tried without success to find info on the NPP for the
    Rokinon lens.
    Any other info & tips you can give (such as # of shots & angles etc.) will be very helpful
    since I am new to this.
    Thanks
    Users Country Flag

What Nikon camera are you using?

I'm using the Nikon d7000
    Users Country Flag

It is my understanding that you will need to shoot 6 images around plus a Zenith and Nadir + Nadir patch in order to cover the entire sphere. Why did you choose the R1? Are you going to shoot only cylindrical panoramas? I believe a NN3 type pano head will work better for you. If you want to shoot 4 around without a Zenith, you should use the Sigma 8mm lens. Tilted up 5 degrees you will get the sphere in 4 shots but will still need a Nadir patch shot in order to cover the entire sphere. I could be wrong about your lenss since I have not used it, instead only read about it.

Thanks for the info DennisS. I thought the R1 would be best from what I've been reading. Could easily be be wrong.
    Users Country Flag

The R1 is a wonderful rig. I use one with a Sigma 8mm lens and a monopod. Your lens has a 180 diagonal picture while the Sigma has a partial 180 circle (with the sides chopped off). I tried the Sigma on my Nikon D3S (a 50th birthday present to myself from myself) and get a full circle. What a waste of pixels.

Wait until somone who uses your same (or close) setup comments before passing final judgement. If you want to return the R1, I am sure your NN dealer will work with you.

This is the only way I was able to use the R1 with the Rokinon (Samyang 8mm):

http://www.360tacticalvr.com/blog/?p=117

Badders