Camera Mounting Plate CP2 doesn't quite fit my NEX3

Thread: Camera Mounting Plate CP2 doesn't quite fit my NEX3

Share/Bookmark
  1. Camera Mounting Plate CP2 doesn't quite fit my NEX3

There is about a 2-3mm gap between the lip of the plate and the camera.

Did you ever make a shorter, smaller plate that will allow the use of the CP2 on the NEX series cameras?

If you don't intend to make one, can I return my CP2 for credit or something? I paid $20 for a useless piece of gear otherwise. I bought it last year I think I paid $20. I see it's been marked down to $10.

Your Arca compatible plates are very nice but I don't use the QR system.

Probably better if I just sell it on eBay....
    Last edited by DemonDuck; 01-27-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    Did you ever make a shorter, smaller plate that will allow the use of the CP2 on the NEX series cameras?
    If you don't intend to make one, can I return my CP2 for credit or something? I paid $20 for a useless piece of gear otherwise. I bought it last year I think I paid $20. I see it's been marked down to $10.
    Hi DemonDuck,
    Gee you should have brought this to our attention much earlier - this is 10 months after the fact. And asking for refund in public forum rather than asking us directly through email is a bit cheeky. For future reference we want to emphasize we always work with customer to find amicable solutions so we encourage customers to contact us directly (or dealer you made purchase through) especially with concerns on returns. And we are usually very flexibility when handling matters privately (in the office) rather than in a public venue (up on the stage).

Assuming I have the right person and order I see you bought a CP-2 March 25th 2011 for $10.00. We never sold for $20. The CP-2 was basically being sold at cost as Nick wanted Nodal Ninja customers to have low cost solution to replace the CP-1.

Because of the low dollar amount, and realizing times are hard for all of us, I am happy to accept the return so you don't have useless piece of gear. We can issue you a company check for $10.00 or issue store credit - your choice. I will mention also that after what you spend on shipping back and what you paid in shipping to get the CP2 your net gain is really only about $5.00.

I'm not sure Nick has plans yet to make smaller plate for CP-2 (Nick please correct me if I am wrong) so we have to explore other options.

I see too you purchased a T-30-II in 2010 - you might be able to use that as mounting plate.
    Regardless of CP-1, CP-2 or T30 unless you went for dedicated plate as with the newer Arca style you will not achieve true anti-twisting capability on NEX. However any of these lesser expensive plates will still work fine if properly tightened especially with lighter Sony camera.

I hope this is fair and reasonable solution to your concern.
    Let me know what you decide.
    Best
    Bill
    Users Country Flag

* Sorry, had to delete my post. It did not contribute in a constructive manner *

Ok, forget the refund. Just thought I'd ask. Not important. Has it been 10 months?

I actually did mention this problem months ago when I had a NEX 5 and Samyang 8mm and found that the CP2 didn't work. At that time I asked Nick -- here in the public forum -- about it. I thought that he said he was going to make some different plates. And that led to discussions about dedicated plates for specific cameras that Nick said he wasn't going to make. I guess I probably remember that wrong also.

I just recently got a NEX 3 and tried the CP2 again and it didn't work again but for a different reason that it didn't work the first time and so I wrote here again. I also mentioned some months ago that the T-II didn't work with my LX3 and asked Nick about solutions to that problem and I thought he said he was working on a fix for that which I no longer need because I don't have the LX3 anymore. I'm always asking the wrong thing I guess... Oh well...

And by the way, the NEX cameras are light but after putting even a small fisheye on it --
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rok_2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	492
    http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/...mors/rok_2.jpg

it aint so light and the lever arm begins to make itself a problem which is exacerbated on the NEX5/7 because of their weird bottom that makes the mount pad around the tripod mount into a small lump with even less static friction.
    Last edited by DemonDuck; 01-27-2012 at 11:53 PM.
    Users Country Flag

Probably better if I just sell it on eBay....
    Are you using the one with short lip or long lip?
    It is simple to add a spacer between the camera and the lip.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    Are you using the one with short lip or long lip?
    It is simple to add a spacer between the camera and the lip.

Nick
    The slot on both plates aren't long enough to allow either plate to slide far enough forward to snug up to the rear of the camera. The slot needs to be about 4-5mm longer and the plate itself could be about 2-2.5cm shorter because both plates are much longer than the bottom of the camera. The NEX 3 bottom is about 2.75cm wide, the plate is nearly 6cm. So a 3cm plate with a 2.5cm slot that started .5cm from the lip would probably work just fine for the NEX 3/c3. The NEX 5/5n/7 have that weird bottom bump that needs the sculpted plate like you made for your QR system. I wish you would make that sculpted plate with just an ordinary bolt hole but (again) I'm probably the only one who want's that.

A spacer or a cap that fit over the lip of the current plates would work. It would have to be a hard material (not soft) like a dense plastic or the camera could twist. It could be glued to the lip. But then if a person used a fisheye with a large diameter, the fisheye would hit the plate and prevent proper mounting. That's what happens if one uses the old Samyang 8mm and a mount adapter. The plate hits the lens before it can be snugged up against the camera.
    Users Country Flag

The slot on both plates aren't long enough to allow either plate to slide far enough forward to snug up to the rear of the camera. The slot needs to be about 4-5mm longer and the plate itself could be about 2-2.5cm shorter because both plates are much longer than the bottom of the camera. The NEX 3 bottom is about 2.75cm wide, the plate is nearly 6cm. So a 3cm plate with a 2.5cm slot that started .5cm from the lip would probably work just fine for the NEX 3/c3. The NEX 5/5n/7 have that weird bottom bump that needs the sculpted plate like you made for your QR system. I wish you would make that sculpted plate with just an ordinary bolt hole but (again) I'm probably the only one who want's that.

A spacer or a cap that fit over the lip of the current plates would work. It would have to be a hard material (not soft) like a dense plastic or the camera could twist. It could be glued to the lip. But then if a person used a fisheye with a large diameter, the fisheye would hit the plate and prevent proper mounting. That's what happens if one uses the old Samyang 8mm and a mount adapter. The plate hits the lens before it can be snugged up against the camera.
    I am making some custom anti-twisting plates for CP2 and Nex basing on Heinz design demonstrated previously.
    Wait a month or two.

Nick
    Last edited by nick fan; 02-07-2012 at 07:29 AM.

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    I am making some custom anti-twisting plates for CP2 and Nex basing on Heinz design demonstrated previously.
    Wait a month or two.

Nick
    Ok, it's too cold and snowy right now anyway. :-(

Ok, it's too cold and snowy right now anyway. :-(
    put some gloves and you still can shoot here -22ºC at 1600m altitude and -35ºC on glacier

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vincèn View Post
    put some gloves and you still can shoot here -22ºC at 1600m altitude and -35ºC on glacier
    -22C!!!! You are either insane or truly dedicated to photography. For me, if it gets down to 0C -- I just look out the window :-)

Hey Nick, I'll be glad to test your prototypes for the NEX cameras. I don't care what they look like. I have the 16mm + fisheye on a NEX 3. And an NN3.
    Last edited by DemonDuck; 02-07-2012 at 12:29 PM.