Mechanical shutter release adapter for NN3

Thread: Mechanical shutter release adapter for NN3

Share/Bookmark
  1. Mechanical shutter release adapter for NN3

Nick, a while back you mentioned that you had an idea for a mechanical shutter release adapter that would fit on the NN3/4/5. Any further info about that? I'm trying to figure out how to put a mechanical shutter release on my NEX 3.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    Nick, a while back you mentioned that you had an idea for a mechanical shutter release adapter that would fit on the NN3/4/5. Any further info about that? I'm trying to figure out how to put a mechanical shutter release on my NEX 3.
    Thx for the reminder. I will work on it in the next few months.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

I'm assuming you want to remotely trigger the shutter?

There are a few ways to do this.

1 - Take it apart and extend wires externally. Short the wires to trigger the shutter. Need above average soldering skills.

2 - Servos - wired

3 - Servos - remote

I don't have a NEX 3 but have seen images of it. I think there is a flash mount on top. You could use that to mount a platform for a servo.

Nick

Just my opinion...

From my experience I wouldn't bother with a mechanical trigger to mount on the pano heads as it will depend on camera body and location of shutter. To many variables. It’s best to mount the triggers on the camera body. Not on the pano head. Better yet trigger the shutter electronically.
    Last edited by Rosauro; 01-25-2012 at 08:47 PM.

On the NEX 3 and c3, there is no electronic or infra-red remote control. There also is no standard hotshoe that can be used as an attachment point. There are no attach points on the camera except for the camera strap holders. If you have a way to anchor a mechanical shutter release adapter to a strap holder, that would be the way to do it. None of your suggestions above would work on a NEX 3 or c3.

A proper mechanical shutter cable release adapter would be adjustable. The pano head is the most obvious place to attach such an adapter.

None of your suggestions above would work on a NEX 3 or c3.
    If I had one I could show you. What I suggested would work.

there is no electronic or infra-red remote control
    As I said with #1, you would have to take it apart and get underneath the shutter button. You would have to solder wires to a very small board and extend that externally. You could then modify that connection to any electronic triggering device. This is the cleaness option and no vibrations.

There also is no standard hotshoe that can be used as an attachment point
    As I mentioned I'm only going by images off the net. I believe there is a "screw in" type place for a flash on top.

This is on a C3
    Users Country Flag

There is no way I would trust the very tiny and very very shallow threaded hole that is designed to hold a very light piece of plastic with a flash bulb in it to hold all the side forces a mechanical shutter release would put on the threads.

IT WILL NOT WORK if you try to use the very small threaded hole and mount a shutter release there. I am looking at my NEX-5 right here and I guarantee very bad things will happen if you try to use the flash mount for anything other than the flash.

http://jtec-online.com/lbracket.html

This is an L plate for the NEX camera. I would start here as a base for mounting any sort of remote trigger. Even with this plate you are still making an arm to come all the way back across the camera.

I also think that mounting the release on the pano head is not the answer. Could you imagine what such a universal multi adjustable rig would look like? Nick would be very hard pressed to "keep it simple".

As anyone who follows my escapades knows that I am a very busy "do it yourself" kind of guy. There is no way I would take apart my camera and start soldering stuff. If I was an electrical engineer and had the proper soldering equipment and the knowledge of how to use it, I might follow that path. As for me, I will keep my paws out of the insides of my camera.
    Last edited by DennisS; 01-26-2012 at 12:36 AM.

As I said Dennis I do not own one so I was guessing with the screw flash trigger. I had no idea what it was made of.

I agree that mounting a release plate on the pano head is not the answer.

Soldering is not difficult. I'm not an electrical engineer but have done a lot of soldering. It takes a bit of practice. Or just have a friend do it for you. I felt the same way about taking apart cameras. But once you start you'll be surprised how easy it is.

This type of mod is definitely a custom job. Very do-able... electronically or mechanically.

Here's a sample of the 5. (not mine) ...short the wires and voila!

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    There is no way I would trust the very tiny and very very shallow threaded hole that is designed to hold a very light piece of plastic with a flash bulb in it to hold all the side forces a mechanical shutter release would put on the threads.

IT WILL NOT WORK if you try to use the very small threaded hole and mount a shutter release there. I am looking at my NEX-5 right here and I guarantee very bad things will happen if you try to use the flash mount for anything other than the flash.

http://jtec-online.com/lbracket.html

This is an L plate for the NEX camera. I would start here as a base for mounting any sort of remote trigger. Even with this plate you are still making an arm to come all the way back across the camera.

I also think that mounting the release on the pano head is not the answer. Could you imagine what such a universal multi adjustable rig would look like? Nick would be very hard pressed to "keep it simple".

As anyone who follows my escapades knows that I am a very busy "do it yourself" kind of guy. There is no way I would take apart my camera and start soldering stuff. If I was an electrical engineer and had the proper soldering equipment and the knowledge of how to use it, I might follow that path. As for me, I will keep my paws out of the insides of my camera.
    Yeah, anybody who opens up a camera is just asking for trouble. But a universal cable release adapter might not be so cumbersome as you imply.

http://www.eagleeyeuk.com/erol2eu/erol.html

I've seen a couple of others on the web but they are hard to find.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    Yeah, anybody who opens up a camera is just asking for trouble. But a universal cable release adapter might not be so cumbersome as you imply.

http://www.eagleeyeuk.com/erol2eu/erol.html

I've seen a couple of others on the web but they are hard to find.
    Do you intend to use it remotely, eg on the pole?

NIck

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

I would use a remote release everywhere. Putting your fingers on the camera to release the shutter just makes blurry pictures.

I had a simple shutter cable adapter that fit the hot shoe of my LX3. It was very useful especially when my tripod or mono-pod was fully extended. My fully extended tripod puts the camera well above my head and my mono-pod is 6 feet and with the pano head the camera can be nearly 7 feet above my head. I also want to do some pole panos at 8-12 feet.