my first gigapixel in 2012 (3.9 gigapixels)

Thread: my first gigapixel in 2012 (3.9 gigapixels)

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. my first gigapixel in 2012 (3.9 gigapixels)

My first gigapixel panorama in 2012. In total 3.9 gigapixels:

Deep zoom version of this panorama

or at my website more.

Small version of the panorama:

More information:

i used:
    • Canon EOS dslr
    • Canon EF 100-400mm
    • Manfrotto 058B Triaut
    • Gigapan Epic Pro

• GPS: 52°31'2" N 5°26'24" E
    • time to shot: 2 hours and 55 minutes between photo no. 1 and photo no. 2090

Camera settings:
    • Focal length: 400mm
    • shuttertime: 1/800e
    • Aperture: f/10
    • ISO: 100
    • RAW 12 bits 10.1 Megapixel
    • Maximum resolution one photo: 3,888 x 2,592 pixels

This panorama:
    • Number of photos: 2,090
    • Dimensions: 162.272 px (w) X 26.117 px (h)
    • Number of pixels: 3.9 Gigapixel or 3,850.90 megapixel or 3,850.859 pixels
    • picture angle: 236,9 X 78,3 graden
    • size of the panorama: 36 Gb
    Last edited by Seacat; 01-23-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Stitching is good, but wouldn't be better to make fusion HDR in thsi scene?
    This silverlight player is terrible, I recommend Yout to use Krpano it works much better.
    Anyway good job. Can You tell me what software did You use for stitching ?

Quote Originally Posted by FotoPano.net View Post
    Stitching is good, but wouldn't be better to make fusion HDR in thsi scene?
    This silverlight player is terrible, I recommend Yout to use Krpano it works much better.
    Anyway good job. Can You tell me what software did You use for stitching ?
    Thanks!

I used Kolor Autopano Giga 2.5. KrPano is software still not used. Maybe next time...

Johan

Hello Johan,

Despite the fact that there are much larger gigapans around 3.9 gpx is still an impressive number.

I tried to view your gigapan on my iPad but unfortunately I couldn't view it because it needs the Silverlight plugin, perhaps it is a good idea to switch to a player such as Zoomify.

The not so expensive Zoomify HTML5 version is platform independant and performs very well.
    http://www.zoomify.com/html5.htm

The only major drawback of Zoomify HTML5 at this moment is that the included converter, needed to make the image tiles, is not capable to handle images larger then 250 mpx but this will change soon.
    In the mean time the converter included in the free Zoomify Flash version can be used instead as a workaround for gigapans (the tiles of Flash and HTML5 version are using the same format).
    http://www.zoomify.com/express.htm

I suggest you give Zoomify a try, big chance you will like it.

Wim
    Last edited by Wim.Koornneef; 02-02-2012 at 01:44 AM.

I have really bad experience with APG 2.5 (stitching giga panoramas) and used to use 2.09 instead 2.5, but new version 2.6 works fine, try to update it it is faster and more occurate.
    And Your canon SLR is it Full Frame or cropped? I am asking because I am going to change my system from Pentax to Canon due to really bad lenses availability for Pentax, anyway I would like to get one of this 400mm lenses but i think that I will get Fixed Focal Length version for image quallity. There are some cheap old second hand Sigma 400mm lenses on the market, for approx. 200€ I can get it.

I did use version 2.6 for stitching this panorama. But before i was also happy with version 2.5.
    My Canon is cropped. The APC-H, with a crop of 1.3. I never used a Pentax. But i've used Sigma lenses. The only Sigma i still own is the Sigma 8mm f/4 fisheye.
    The Sigma 15-30mm i owned was slow and maked a lot of noise. So go for a second hand Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L ! Even the EF 100-400mm L is not so bad at all!

@Wim: I'll check out if Zoomify is a option, thanks!

Johan

Nice camera friend.... Once post your cam pic friend....