Indexing Arca clamp

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Indexing Arca clamp

Share/Bookmark
  1. Indexing Arca clamp

Nick:
    I figured out how to attach a R10 pole adapter and Arca clamp to my RD4. Now I need Arca plates with the 5mm X 28mm ( c - to - c ) holes drilled in them so they can index with NN hardware. This will give easy and secure setup and interchange between R10 / monopod and R10 w/ RD4 / tripod.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kirk2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	490  
    Last edited by waters; 01-22-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by waters View Post
    Nick:
    I figured out how to attach a R10 pole adapter and Arca clamp to my RD4. Now I need Arca plates with the 5mm X 28mm ( c - to - c ) holes drilled in them so they can index with NN hardware. This will give easy and secure setup and interchange between R10 / monopod and R10 w/ RD4 / tripod.
    How are you going to make use of plate? what other items are involved?
    You just want to quickly switch your R10 to RD4 and monopod, right? May be I can just make an adapter plate for the monopod.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Nick:

This picture should better explain it. The Arca type plate has two holes drilled to accept the studs on the bottom of your Rd4 to R10 adapter. This will center and lock the plate easily and securely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kirk-3.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	491  

Nick:

One more question. Will the 40mm QR clamp for the M1 Series key into the top of the RD4? Would this clamp accept standard Arca plates? I found an old Arca plate today and drilled the two holes so it would key into the studs on the bottom of the RD4 to R10 adapter plate. It locks in and centers nicely.
    Users Country Flag

Nick:

One more question. Will the 40mm QR clamp for the M1 Series key into the top of the RD4? Would this clamp accept standard Arca plates? I found an old Arca plate today and drilled the two holes so it would key into the studs on the bottom of the RD4 to R10 adapter plate. It locks in and centers nicely.
    Yes, QRC-40A, QRC-55/65, all fit the advanced rotators such as RD4.

Fanotec

Nick:
    A while ago I pointed out the need for an easy way to switch from R10 on monopod to R10 on a rotator such as the RD4. I have found that the process of switching was rather arduous and discouraged me from using the RD4 because in most situations the monopod setup was easier. You brought out the mini quick connect, but it seems that the connection might be a bit tenuous. I believe the Arca clamp connection is bombproof and much more reassuring. A simple Arca plate with two 5mm holes drilled to key in with your system would enable such a connection. This plate could go on the bottom of the RD4 to R10 adapter plate.
    I am wondering what others do to switch between monopod/pole use of the R10 and rotator use.
    Users Country Flag

Switching back and forth is easy. Buy a pano head for each setup. That is what I have done.
    Users Country Flag

Nick:
    A while ago I pointed out the need for an easy way to switch from R10 on monopod to R10 on a rotator such as the RD4. I have found that the process of switching was rather arduous and discouraged me from using the RD4 because in most situations the monopod setup was easier. You brought out the mini quick connect, but it seems that the connection might be a bit tenuous. I believe the Arca clamp connection is bombproof and much more reassuring. A simple Arca plate with two 5mm holes drilled to key in with your system would enable such a connection. This plate could go on the bottom of the RD4 to R10 adapter plate.
    I am wondering what others do to switch between monopod/pole use of the R10 and rotator use.
    I think I will make a monopod top plate adapter for using the QM mini on no Fanotec poles/ Monopod.
    Putting a square clamp/plate between RD4 and R1/10 is not handsome.

Nick

Fanotec

I was thinking in more practical terms; my monopod has an Arca clamp on it so it can be used with my camera. My ballhead has an Arca clamp so it can be used with my camera. I don't want to introduce an oddball attachment system and I don't really care about handsome.
    Users Country Flag

I was thinking in more practical terms; my monopod has an Arca clamp on it so it can be used with my camera. My ballhead has an Arca clamp so it can be used with my camera. I don't want to introduce an oddball attachment system and I don't really care about handsome.
    Good point! I will offer this solution soon. I understand that you have created a solution for yourself, right? If not, I can make you a quick solution by modifying a MFR-Dovetail-35mm.
    http://store.nodalninja.com/products...tail-35mm.html

Nick
    Last edited by nick fan; 01-28-2012 at 12:01 AM.

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

What I don't understand is why would you want to put a rotator on the top of a monopod? The R1/R10 bolt directly to the top. Both have the arca style clamp already. To remove the pano head, just unscrew it. If you are doing a pole pano, the rotator goes on the bottom. Am I missing something?

Nick:

Thanks for your reply. As usual my lack of clarity sows more confusion! I found this Arca plate on Ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:L:OC:US:1123
    I can drill the holes myself so it turns out to be a relatively cheap solution.

Dennis:

My rotator is for the tripod. I look at it this way; for most situations with good light the monopod setup with R10 works like a charm ( no rotator needed ). For low light situations I want to be able to mount the R10 to the RD4 ( on a tripod ). Having an Arca plate on the bottom of the R10 and an Arca clamp on the RD4 & monopod allows me to make the change easily, with a secure connection.
    Users Country Flag

Why not just buy a second R10 with no rotator for your monopod? It is on sale right now for a whopping $69.00. Keep it simple and stop messing around with extra clamps that are not needed.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    Why not just buy a second R10 with no rotator for your monopod? It is on sale right now for a whopping $69.00. Keep it simple and stop messing around with extra clamps that are not needed.

That is also a good solution. After all R10 has QR clamp built-in.

Nick

Fanotec

Dennis:
    I also use the monopod with my camera without R10. My camera has an Arca plate. I found my current setup to work quite well; R10 + Arca plate attaches in seconds to monopod + Arca clamp. If panoramas were my only photographic endeavor your suggestion would make sense, but since panoramas are but a small part of my photography I want the flexibility.
+ Reply to Thread