Using R1/10 series vs NN 3/4/5 series

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using R1/10 series vs NN 3/4/5 series

Share/Bookmark
  1. Using R1/10 series vs NN 3/4/5 series

Users Country Flag

I'm currently using an NN 3 with a Pentax K-5/Rokinon fisheye. I have the adjustments dialed in now to the point that getting good nadir stitch is usually not a problem. However, living in a large Japanese city, I usually head out to take panoramas on foot or on bicycle so keeping my setup as small and compact as possible is highly desirable.

For those of you who have used both the standard type pano heads and the ring-style, are you able to stitch your apex and nadir shots as precisely as you could with the standard NN3/4/5? Assuming you not changing lenses, are the R1/10s a compromise? Is it more difficult or easier to achieve equivalent results?
    Users Country Flag

R1/ 10 is a compromise. It is a single row pano head. It works best for fisheyes with >170 deg vertical angle of view. For your lens, Zenith and nadir won't be as accurate. But if they are just sky and ground, it won't be a problem.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Nick, your R1/R10 nadir adapter should give good results -- yes?
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    Nick, your R1/R10 nadir adapter should give good results -- yes?
    It requires movement of tripod. Don't expect accuracy better than 1cm.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Here's an example of the Samyang (Rokinon) on a Pentax K5: http://www.360tacticalvr.com/blog/?p=218
    You can't capture the zenith with the R1/R10 with this camera/lens combo without tilting the R1/R10. This means the zenthi/nadir is then offset, even using the R1/R10 nadir adaptor.

Here's an example of how to do this without using the Nadir adaptor: http://www.360tacticalvr.com/blog/?p=117

I used a Pentax Kx for this example, but the concept is identical. I used "viewpoint correction" in PTGUI to patch the zenith/nadir. Note that you can only use viewpoint correction on parallel flat surfaces. So if I'd been on a hillside with a curved dome roof this wouldn't have worked...

Badders

Quote Originally Posted by badders View Post
    Note that you can only use viewpoint correction on parallel flat surfaces.
    What do you mean by "parallel" flat surfaces as distinct from straightforward flat surfaces?
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Houghton View Post
    What do you mean by "parallel" flat surfaces as distinct from straightforward flat surfaces?
    I mean not a slope or curve... (so parallel wasn't the right word to use but this was pre-coffee time...)

Badders

Well, a flat slope is ok for viewpoint correction.
    John
+ Reply to Thread