R1 or R10

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: R1 or R10

Share/Bookmark
  1. R1 or R10

Hi ... I am new in the R1/R10 system ... i read , read and read the R1 and R10 specs ... the only difference that i saw is that the R1 has the on the fly tilt and R10 has a static tilt...
    Please , can someone give some advice ? I am so confused about this ...
    Which one is the best and why ?

Thanks
    Users Country Flag

Liaock,

R1 - allows for trying out multiple tilt angles.

R10 - fixed angle. A little bit lighter. Less expensive.

If you are the type who likes to play, get the R1. If you know what tilt angle you are want to use get the R10. Neither is "better" than the other. They just function differently.

That's it. Plain and simple.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    Liaock,

R1 - allows for trying out multiple tilt angles.

R10 - fixed angle. A little bit lighter. Less expensive.

If you are the type who likes to play, get the R1. If you know what tilt angle you are want to use get the R10. Neither is "better" than the other. They just function differently.

That's it. Plain and simple.

Dennis

Hi Dennis ,
    Thanks for the reply ...
    I am using a NN5 .. with RD8 ... now i am thinking to do some pole panorama ... as i noticed .. the best is using R1/R10 , right ?
    About more questions ... the R10 has a 10 degrees tilt and the R1 has not ... this is really make some difference ?
    In the acessories has a arca style stop plate , nodal ninja ultimate pole adapter , quick mount mini adapter clamp , quick mount mini adapter system , rail stop for LRP ... do you know what and where this itens is used ? .... there is no description on each item .. so i really have no idea about this itens ...
    Sorry for bothering you...

Thanks a lot again .
    Liao
    Users Country Flag

Liao,

The "best" for pole panos depends on the camera/lens you will use. I have no experience doing pole panos. I will leave it to someone else who has experience instead of giving you my uneducated opinion.

Dennis
    Users Country Flag

Liaock,

Welcome to the forum. You are not boring us because all of us had the same questions.

In case you buy R1/R10 with RD4 rotator, you can connect this combination via the tripod- , monopod- etc -socket at the bottom of the rotator.

Buying R1/R10 head only version, you have to connect the head to a bottom part with the two black screws.

http://store.nodalninja.com/r10-static-tilt-head-only/

Now you can connect it as a "Fixed version" or as a "Quick Release Version" to add it to the head of pole or monopod.

Fixed version: you add the NN Ultimate R1/R10 Pole Adapter with the two black screws below the head as base. The center socket of the adapter fits to the screw on top of Pole, Monopod. Consequence: this system stays on top of pole etc. You take off the camera/lens ring by opening the heads clamp.

In case you want to use your RD8 below the head as base, you have to use RD8 / RD16 to R1/R10 Adapter Kit. Why? It offers the use of the Two Anti Twist Screws on top of the rotator. Workflow: place the two small anti twist screws to bottom of adapter, place the adapter on top of rotator into the two anti twist hole, may be tight fit, and fix it with the big screw through center hole. Then add the R1/R10 head with the two black screws on top of the adapter into the two sockets. Consequence: If you like to use your rotator with your normal panohead, you have to take everything apart.

Quick release version: You use Quick Mount Mini System. Beginning with the mini, you have to get the system. You mount the R1/R10 head to the top of the QMM Clamp with the two black screws. To use it on NN Pole, add the two small silver anti twist screws to the bottom of the clamp. Then you mount the QMM Plate on top of the pole. Take out the two rubber rings out of top of Pole to be able to use the anti twist holes in top of pole. Consequence of this version: You take off your camera with the complete System. Camera, lens ring, R1/R10 head via QMM Clamp. The lens ring can stay in its position in the clamp. Much easier and safer than to take off the camera by opening the lens ring clamp. You lens ring stays in your "NPP" position you have chosen for your camera lens combination.

You can use the Rail Stop for LRP to find your "NPP" position in the clamp back easily. You set the lens ring in your desired "NPP" and fix the clamp. Then you add the rail stop on top of the lens ring by sliding it against the clamp. Fix it. When you take off the lens ring from the clamp and replace it the next time, you just have to slide into the clamp till it is stopped by the Rail Stop. It automatically sits in "NPP" without the need to align the marks on lens ring plate and clamp on R1/R10 head.

To give more advice I should know the camera lens combination. Plus, you should think about the place of an rotator. On top of pole, monopod, below the pole and what rotator do you like to use. Below the Pole the best would be a mini rotator, on top of pole/monopod

you can use your RD8 or buy the R1/R10 with RD4 and spilt this into Head and Rotator. I have R1 with RD4, taken into parts.

You see there are a lot of possibilities. My answer is a bit longer because I tried to explain the consequences and workflows of your decisions. It's not Plug and Play because NN / Fanotec Systems offer a lot of varieties of solutions.

Feel free to ask. This is not boring.

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 01-05-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Hi Heinz ...
    Thanks for your reply ... i am a bite confused yet ... as you wrote that i can use the RD4 or RD8 below the head base .... i want take pole panorama ..since the pole will be at least 2 metros above ... how can i rotate the head ?.. so in this case is necessary to use the rd4 or rd8 since i cannot reach the rotator since is 2 meter high ?
    My camera is fuji s5 pro ( based on nikon D200 ) with battery grip nikon mb200 and lens sigma 8mm 3,5 .

And as you wrote ... " Plus, you should think about the place of an rotator. On top of pole, monopod, below the pole and what rotator do you like to use. Below the Pole the best would be a mini rotator, on top of pole/monopod " ..... how can be below the pole ? i cannot imagine that ...

And the last ... you wrote .. "R1/R10 with rd4 and split into part" ... what is the function and why you split it ??

Thanks a lot ..
    Liao
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by liaock View Post
    Hi Heinz ...
    Thanks for your reply ... i am a bite confused yet ... as you wrote that i can use the RD4 or RD8 below the head base .... i want take pole panorama ..since the pole will be at least 2 metros above ... how can i rotate the head ?.. so in this case is necessary to use the rd4 or rd8 since i cannot reach the rotator since is 2 meter high ?
    My camera is fuji s5 pro ( based on nikon D200 ) with battery grip nikon mb200 and lens sigma 8mm 3,5 .

And as you wrote ... " Plus, you should think about the place of an rotator. On top of pole, monopod, below the pole and what rotator do you like to use. Below the Pole the best would be a mini rotator, on top of pole/monopod " ..... how can be below the pole ? i cannot imagine that ...

And the last ... you wrote .. "R1/R10 with rd4 and split into part" ... what is the function and why you split it ??

Thanks a lot ..
    Liao
    Either R1/ R10 will work for you. You can use 5 deg up for use on tripod or pole. You can also use -5 deg on R10 or -2.5 deg/-7.5 deg on R1. R10 can be used on pole directly. R1 needs a pole adapter or the Quick Mount Mini adapter. If you just want to use R1/10 on pole, you can buy the option "Tilt Head Only". Then use RD8 or pole rotator at the base together with foot plate or tripod adapter.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Liao.

Now knowing your equipment a little better and you want to use a pole, I can give better advice.

1. Use your camera without the battery grip. This is more weight and adds torque to the system and to the lens ring / camera lens connection.

2. R1/R10 head only connected with Quick Mount Mini System to top of pole.

3. Rotator placed below the pole with footplate added. You can use Mini Rotator with 8 shots around and use every second click stop to do 4 shots around you need for Sigma 8mm/f3.5. The Mini Rotators are closed without any knobs to be set against the dust. You can use your RD8 as well, what means you have to disconnect your normal System and re arranged it for pole use. The hole can be closed with silicon plates to protect the rotator against dust. Last option is to buy the set of R1/R10 head, lens ring, and RD4 which can be added to the bottom of the pole too, holes closed with silicon plates.

4. R1/R10 with RD4 come mounted together. You split the assembly to use head on top and rotator below the Pole.

Heinz

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Liao.

Now knowing your equipment a little better and you want to use a pole, I can give better advice.

1. Use your camera without the battery grip. This is more weight and adds torque to the system and to the lens ring / camera lens connection.

2. R1/R10 head only connected with Quick Mount Mini System to top of pole.

3. Rotator placed below the pole with footplate added. You can use Mini Rotator with 8 shots around and use every second click stop to do 4 shots around you need for Sigma 8mm/f3.5. The Mini Rotators are closed without any knobs to be set against the dust. You can use your RD8 as well, what means you have to disconnect your normal System and re arranged it for pole use. The hole can be closed with silicon plates to protect the rotator against dust. Last option is to buy the set of R1/R10 head, lens ring, and RD4 which can be added to the bottom of the pole too, holes closed with silicon plates.

4. R1/R10 with RD4 come mounted together. You split the assembly to use head on top and rotator below the Pole.

Heinz

Hi Heinz ...

The item 02 .. "Quick Mount Mini System" ..is this one ... http://store.nodalninja.com/products...er-System.html ? .... if yes ... what this item ( http://store.nodalninja.com/products...ter-Clamp.html ) is used for ??

The item 03 ... you mentioned "mini rotator" ... this mini rotator is rd4 ?
    also .."Rotator placed below the pole with footplate added" .... what is this footplate ?

Sorry ... it is a lot of acessories that becomes a bit confused how to use it ..

thanks
    Liao
    Users Country Flag

I use both the R1 and R10 on my monopod. After seeing the links to the various parts and accessories, I find myself "dazed and confused" also. Maybe there is a single diagram, illustration or exploded view that brings it all together?
    Users Country Flag

A Quick Mount Adapter System consists of a clamp and plate which you can buy separately. This is how R1 mounted to he top of pole.

This is the footplate. The RD4 shown can be replaced by pole rotators and RD8/16.

If you use Pole 2 and needs better stability, you can use a tripod to support the pole, by means of the tripod adapter.

Fanotec

Click image for larger version

Name:	fl.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	449

Hi Nick Fan ,
    In the photo number 02 of your post ... the foot plate .. this means that the monopod has a distance from the floor and i will be in the air ( i will be holding the monopod ) ? It is very confused ...
    And in the same photo .. the rotator is the rd4 inversed ?

Thanks ...
    Liao
    Users Country Flag

Liao,

I have been busy for you and other users yesterday afternoon to shoot some photos. I have to add text and I think you know more about it.

Yes it is RD 4 reversed, footplate sits on the floor and you place your foot on the arm of it. Yes you have to hold the pole yourself, pole is raised by height of RD4. This is what I meant with "split R1 RD4 into peaces" Use the head on top of the pole with Quick Mount Mini System. This is Clamp and Plate. If you want to use the QMM System for different equipment, you just buy an separate extra plate fixed on different equipment. For example on the center column of your tripod to shoot real estate for example. You can use the clamp on this system too.

Second option for a "pole to tripod fixed version" of it is the use of the tripod Adapter. Then the tripod will hold the pole.

So long,
    Heinz
    Users Country Flag

have a look of how Pole 2 works
    http://www.dmmdh.nl/panos/fanotec/fa...image_016.html
    zoom to pole base to see the footplate.

Nick

Fanotec

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Liao,

I have been busy for you and other users yesterday afternoon to shoot some photos. I have to add text and I think you know more about it.

Yes it is RD 4 reversed, footplate sits on the floor and you place your foot on the arm of it. Yes you have to hold the pole yourself, pole is raised by height of RD4. This is what I meant with "split R1 RD4 into peaces" Use the head on top of the pole with Quick Mount Mini System. This is Clamp and Plate. If you want to use the QMM System for different equipment, you just buy an separate extra plate fixed on different equipment. For example on the center column of your tripod to shoot real estate for example. You can use the clamp on this system too.

Second option for a "pole to tripod fixed version" of it is the use of the tripod Adapter. Then the tripod will hold the pole.

So long,
    Heinz

Hi ...
    After a long , long , long time watching the photos ..i start to figure out how this system works .... i will tell you ..it is complicated ... maybe it is more easy to post a short video on the youtube showing the options that can be done with the acessories ! This will help a lot of people in the same situation as me . And of course will increase the sales of the nodal , because it is not everybody that cames here in the forum to ask how the things works ... and then they give up to buy acessories !!

I have one more question .. in the photos of nick fan .. this acessory ( http://store.nodalninja.com/products...e-Adapter.html ) is used ? if no ..in which situation i can use it ?
    Only with the R1 package ( http://store.nodalninja.com/products...t-Package.html ) i can attach the hole system in the pole or is it need to buy the acessory above ( http://store.nodalninja.com/products...e-Adapter.html ) ??

Thanks
    Liao
    Last edited by liaock; 01-07-2012 at 12:05 PM.
+ Reply to Thread