Slow day at the office

Thread: Slow day at the office

Share/Bookmark
  1. Slow day at the office

Users Country Flag

Don't ask "Why?" Think outside the box and ask "Why not?"

The first thing that comes to my mind as it flops around on the floor is that configuration is probably the most precise configuration possible for a multi-row pano. It would be interesting to shoot a hundred panos in different locations and see how well a template could be applied.
    Users Country Flag

The modular system is a fun to play with. :-)
    The system is still expanding in 2012.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Even now it's fun to play with. Specially with the new Fanotec Camera Plates with Automatic Align System. You hear it click in position, close the clamp and it is precisely centered in the clamp vertically. I love this "CLICK" and won't miss it in the future.

Just dreaming of the rail clicks. I am just busy for it with the new camera plates for Nikonians. Would be nice to find some Canon friends to share their data with us as well.

Cheers,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 01-06-2012 at 06:22 AM.
    Users Country Flag

To be totally honest, I would not use this combination. The upper rotator cannot hold the camera in it's stock configuration. I had to take the extra plunger and put it in the 30 degree hole. The original plunger is in the 90 degree hole. This gives me two plungers holding the camera at 90 degrees. It works ok, but not good enough for everyday use. This is more of a proof of concept rather than an actual real life application. If I were to do this right, I would use another RD4 rotator as the upper rotator and modify it so I would have 4 plungers at 90 degrees instead of 1. That would hold the camera and do away with adjusting a knob when I wanted to rotate the camera. Just like the lower rotator, you grab the camera and rotate it. Nothing to release or turn. One more thing, you can slide the upper rotator up and down along the vertical rail. What is the advantage? None that I can think of.

This pano head is rather fun to play with.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    To be totally honest, I would not use this combination. The upper rotator cannot hold the camera in it's stock configuration. I had to take the extra plunger and put it in the 30 degree hole. The original plunger is in the 90 degree hole. This gives me two plungers holding the camera at 90 degrees. It works ok, but not good enough for everyday use. This is more of a proof of concept rather than an actual real life application. If I were to do this right, I would use another RD4 rotator as the upper rotator and modify it so I would have 4 plungers at 90 degrees instead of 1. That would hold the camera and do away with adjusting a knob when I wanted to rotate the camera. Just like the lower rotator, you grab the camera and rotate it. Nothing to release or turn. One more thing, you can slide the upper rotator up and down along the vertical rail. What is the advantage? None that I can think of.

This pano head is rather fun to play with.
    You should flip the top and base of RD16. The cylinder should be attached to the vertical rail. Then the knob will stay stationary.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Nick,

The issue is not with the plunger rotating, it is that the rotator was not designed to be "rotated" into this position. I suppose you could tighten the locking knob every time, but then you are back to turning a knob in order to make a rotational adjustment. I want to be able to just grab the camera, rotate it, and shoot. I just tried it with a plunger in the 90, 30 and 15 holes. The camera does not slip out of position when gripped by 3 plungers. Reversing the rotator would not gain anything other than the knobs being stationary vs rotating with the camera.

Dennis