Recommend a good travel tripod?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a good travel tripod?

Share/Bookmark
    Users Country Flag

David,

You are quicker than I am....Re Level before taking Nadir2? Software covers a lot, but to make your life easy doing a bulk of interiors, re level. Yes, often you have to go beyond DPD. With the Feisol I move 32 cm instead of 28cm DPD. Sorry to ask, it's late for me after a busy day, what was your equipment? D300 NN5 10.5?

http://homepage.mac.com/hindenhaag/f...20Adapters.zip

We will get you on the road...

Heinz

BTW: Thx Dennis we now got the Nadir Adapter. As I already mentioned, Software covers a lot. So you can try to do the shots without re leveling. Dennis is using the "free fall out legs tripod of the Manfrotto 055". Plus he is the Master of Monopod. Thx to you Dennis!
    I will have to reset the size of the pics for a quicker download later on. Plus real the power of this forum is that experts like Dennis are "watching" and step in to add on good advice. I like this forum.
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 01-04-2012 at 03:16 PM.

yes, I am using a D300, NN5, 10.5. I think my mistake was that I was not moving the tripod far enough. Next test I will try moving an addition 2 inches beyond the DPD.

I do appreciate the help from you both!

I'm downloading your zip file now.... slow internet now.. over 1 hr download time LOL!
    Last edited by Davidk; 01-04-2012 at 05:15 PM.

If you want a tripod that offers the possibility for doing monopod work look at a Sirui. I replaced my CF Feisol with a CF Sirui and have been quite happy. Last summer I travelled to Italy and was in a quandry as to tripod vs. monopod. The Sirui was a perfect answer. While hiking I went with the monopod, a nice light setup for doing 360 panos. I also had a tripod when needed for low light work. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=&O=&A=details

Waters, thanks. From the pics on BH Photo, it is hard to see. What do you prefer about the Sirui over the Feisol?
    Last edited by Davidk; 01-04-2012 at 05:39 PM.

ok.. here is a set of nadirs. I don't know how to lay one over the other like your example, but here are two separate images.

In photoshop, I put one photo in a layer over another at 50% opacity and it looks like the tripods are touching a bit which means that I didnt move them far enough apart. The grids in the floor don't match because the tripod moved
    Last edited by Davidk; 01-04-2012 at 05:54 PM.

The fact that it can kill two birds with one stone.
    Users Country Flag

David,

Couple of things. May we see a picture of your pano head mounted on your tripod? I am suspecting the Nadir adapter might not be installed correctly. The end of the NN3 should not stick out that far into the Nadir patch shot. If all is ok with your setup, you will need to move over farther. PTGui will handle pretty much whatever you can throw at it. When you get it right the tiles and everything else will line up.

Until you get your rig perfectly calibrated, do yourself a huge favor and do not get so close to an object. You are so close to the cabinet I doubt this pano would stitch without a bunch of Photoshop work. After you have done several panoramas and have gotten to the point where you trust your rig, you can start getting closer to objects.

This pano is a monopod pano with a hand held Nadir patch shot: http://www.dlsphoto.net/Europe2009/P.../Panorama.html It took hours to patch the nadir in order to get the glass, handrail and tile on the floor to all line up. I was right on top of the hand rail. There was no way I would attempt this while I was learning pano work.

There is a knob sticking up out of your pano head. That is too close to the tripod leg in the Nadir patch shot. Reposition the pano head on your tripod in an attempt to hide all of the knobs and such. Rotate your pano head 120 degrees CCW so the knob is directly under the pano head when you take the Nadir shot.

Get a short center column. I can see where the tripod leg crosses the center column.

So much to do but when you get it down, doing panos will be so easy.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Davidk View Post
    ok.. here is a set of nadirs. I don't know how to lay one over the other like your example, but here are two separate images.
    David, You don't need to do any layering in Photoshop before stitching. Both images are handled by PTGui and give a good stitch using masks and viewpoint correction, albeit with the unavoidable small hole where there's a small overlap of hardware:

http://www.johnhpanos.com/ndpan.jpg
    John
    Last edited by John Houghton; 01-05-2012 at 01:51 AM.

John, I was just layering to compare the tripod position for this discussion. Yup that is the same "hole" that I received. You mentioned viewpoint correction. That is something that I have not used yet which might be why I am having problems stitching my nadirs--I will look into that immediately

Dennis, I just got my hardware and software the day before I left for my xmas trip. Outside of the test shots at the house, I have only shot pans of my hotel during the trip. That nadir came from one of the 7 hotel pans that I shot. Not all of them have objects that close.
    This is what it looked like after processing in PTgui:

In addition to the "hole", the table has a couple stitch problems are there are some misalaigned tiles.

The hex head on the camera plate broke and the spring broke on the handle of the nadir adapter. I just send them both back for replacement. As soon as they return, i will shoot a pic of my rig and post it.

In regards to the knobs and column that you mentioned, if those are masked out and replaced by the opposing nadir shot, why does in matter if they show? (assuming that I move the tripods farther apart during the nadirs than I have been doing from now on)

Waters suggested above in this thread that I purchase a Sirui tripod which has a very long center column, and you suggest shortening the center column--pretty funny. No wonder I get confused :)
    Last edited by Davidk; 01-05-2012 at 05:25 AM.

thanks for the links. I will read them both
    Users Country Flag

David,

In PTGuiPro you have to go to optimizer>advance, and click the viewpoint tab for the nadir shots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled * - PTGui Pro trial version-1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	448

A too long center column will be seen in Nadir2 just below the corner of the nadir adapter in between the two tripod legs. Specially this is the sensitive area where you need information. In Nadir1 you have the tip of the third tripod leg in this area. Nadir2 must give info below the area of the tip of the leg of Nadir1. When this area is covered by a long center column extending the corner of the nadir adapter in nadir2, you will get the same black spot in the stitched pano similar to your case not moving enough sideways. Masking means you do not see the tripod in the red masked area in Nadir1. But Nadir2 has to give info of the ground below this red masked area. Masked out means you see nothing besides Black. A long center column in Nadir2 will be masked out too: this will be black as well. So then you get a black spot in the stitched pano because you "overlay" black to black, which means no info. That's why we say moves away longer knobs or the 3-way handles of tripod heads. These things may cover areas you need to see in Nadir2 to deliver a picture of this part of the ground instead of a masked out black spot.

Masking does not mean the handle is gone away and because it is masked it does not do harm any longer. When it touches the red masked area in Nadir2, without any free space in between the two red areas of Nadir1 and Nadir2, you create the black spot. Just imaging you did not only move the tripod directly straight sideways but turned it a little bit to the side as well, you might result in the situation that the handle touches the tripod leg combining Nadir1 and Nadir2. Then you have your lovely black spot.

Let me try to explain it like this: use the "thumb jump". Raise your arm in front of your eyes with the thumb showing upwards. Keep the left eye closed, right eye open.The thumb will cover an area of information in the background. Leave the hand in the same position, close the right eye and open up the left: the thumb will "jump to the right" and cover part of the background which is different from the place of the right eye open. With these two Nadir Shots stitched you get info what is to be seen behind your thumb. When you "mask out your thumb" you have the info you need to get a nice picture without your thumb.

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 01-05-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    In PTGuiPro you have to go to optimizer>advance, and click the viewpoint tab for the nadir shots.
    Heinz, That is not quite correct. The viewpoint option is checked only for the shot(s) taken with the tripod shifted sideways. Nadirs shot from the original tripod position don't require any viewpoint correction.

John
    Users Country Flag

In regards to the knobs and column that you mentioned, if those are masked out and replaced by the opposing nadir shot, why does in matter if they show? (assuming that I move the tripods farther apart during the nadirs than I have been doing from now on)
    David,

Hiding the knobs and such helps maximize the free space between tripods. Having more open space between the tripods in each shot gives you a better chance of getting a good patch. You will not always move the tripod over the exact same amount and in the exact same orientation. If you do not get it right, you will end up with a black hole.

Here is my Nadir patch before I removed all knobs:

After removing the knobs I have this this:

It would be best if you can maximize your clearance.

By hiding all the knobs and the quick release clamp I have maximized the open space between tripods. I did not move over any extra distance. I am also using a short center column in order to make sure that the center column does not overlap the tripod leg.

No wonder I get confused :)
    There are way too many ways to do a panorama. The key is to try as many ways as you are able to, then settle down into a comfortable workflow. A shorter center column is needed when the column overlaps the tripod leg. If there is no overlap, you do not need a short center column.

Dennis
    Last edited by DennisS; 01-05-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Hi,

What is the best way to buy Feisol? I have several questions but was not able to find any contact info at

http://feisol.freeiz.com/index.php?r...tegory&path=72
+ Reply to Thread