Mods made to the M1L to allow for a lens ring mout clamp + Nadir adapter.

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mods made to the M1L to allow for a lens ring mout clamp + Nadir adapter.

Share/Bookmark
    Users Country Flag

DD,

As you can see from my posts on the various forums, I love to think "outside the box".

Back in 2009 (or there abouts) I suggested to Nick the Nadir adapter, ring mount pano head and a ring mount adapter kit for the NN3. Nick and his distributors were not as enthusiastic as I was about the ideas. Fast forward to 2010/2011. We now have the Nadir adapter and a ring mount pano head (kind of, sort of, about 98% there). Can a ring mount adapter kit for the NN3 be just around the corner?

There are most likely people out there who get tired of seeing me make stuff. I say "too bad". Making pano gear is a way to combine two of my hobbies: machining and panography. When I put my camera on a pano head I also hold up my micrometer to see how precise I can position the camera. The level of precision I seek is not required. This is, after all, supposed to be fun.

Do not ever be afraid to "think outside the box" and voice your thoughts. How else will new equipment come to market? Take a look at ( web site omitted due to conflict of interests ) See anything new in the last several years? NOPE.

I am in a very fortunate position that I can actually make pretty much whatever I want in order to bring a concept to life. You do not want to know how much the first ring mount pano head with a built in Nadir adapter actually cost me to make, both in materials and time. Let’s just say that the retail price of the M1L does not come close. Here is the "proof of concept" for the Nadir adapter: www.dlsphoto.net/Panoguide/1st_attempt.jpg Here is the final product: www.dlsphoto.net/NadarBracket/1.JPG. You have no idea how many steps and variations I went through getting from point A to point B. Most of the stuff I make actually works. Some of it does not.

Keep the ideas coming. There is a company out there that actually listens.

Dennis
    Last edited by DennisS; 12-29-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Dennis -- thanks for the encouragement and support. I appreciate your tinkering also. I wish I had your talent and facility to make stuff.
    Users Country Flag

Demon Duck, try this view of Nick, here is a guy that is showing a total involvement in his product, spends his own time and energies answering folks questions in the forums, responds to user's requests, try getting that from the boss of any other company, try the half full approach, not the half empty attitude you seem to be stuck with.
    Users Country Flag

Firstly DennisS your ideas and shopwork are first rate, well done, just one question, do you think that the ability to slide the upper rotator up or down on the vertical rail would have any benefits? cheers and i hope your idea is implemented, i have a 14-24 nikkor, would it be possible to use the device for this lens? cheers bro.
    Users Country Flag

Offhand I see no benefit in sliding the upper pivot up or down on the vertical rail. That does not mean there is no benefit. I think the dovetails are there for aesthetic reasons. One could mount accessories on the dovetails (remote sensor, etc...). I am playing around with a laser pointer to aid in placing the tripod when you slide over for the Nadir patch shot. The vertical dovetails seem to be the mounting point. Not too sure just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidraver View Post
    Demon Duck, try this view of Nick, here is a guy that is showing a total involvement in his product, spends his own time and energies answering folks questions in the forums, responds to user's requests, try getting that from the boss of any other company, try the half full approach, not the half empty attitude you seem to be stuck with.
    From 12-29-2011 10:50 AM:
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    Maybe I'm the only one who is not afraid to speak my mind. Most of the people here hold you in high regard and are intimidated by you. I hold you in high regard and am a little intimidated by you but think it is important for you to hear ideas and opinions that are different than the rest. That may piss you off at times but in the long run -- it will help you produce a stronger product line.
    Nick, what ever happened to the lens ring adapter for NN3?
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    From 12-29-2011 10:50 AM:

Nick, what ever happened to the lens ring adapter for NN3?
    That is probably ready. I will check.
    But we are also releasing new product which will probably make it obsolete.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    But we are also releasing new product which will probably make it obsolete.

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com
+ Reply to Thread