In praise of the M1 pano head

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In praise of the M1 pano head

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. In praise of the M1 pano head

Users Country Flag

Just took delivery of my very own M1L pano head with the RD16 rotator, Nadir adapter, camera plate and quick release clamp.

What a magnificent piece of photo equipment! It came pre assembled, but knocked down and stored in the protective case. I did not have any of the assembly problems I have read about here. It was basically slide the parts together, calibrate and start shooting.

The precision, the construction, the craftsmenship! WOW!

My last pano head purchase from Fanotech was the Nodal Ninja 3 (without the upper rotator click stops).

Very well done Nick. It was well worth the wait.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    Just took delivery of my very own M1L pano head with the RD16 rotator, Nadir adapter, camera plate and quick release clamp.

What a magnificent piece of photo equipment! It came pre assembled, but knocked down and stored in the protective case. I did not have any of the assembly problems I have read about here. It was basically slide the parts together, calibrate and start shooting.

The precision, the construction, the craftsmenship! WOW!

My last pano head purchase from Fanotech was the Nodal Ninja 3 (without the upper rotator click stops).

Very well done Nick. It was well worth the wait.
    We had the case ready last month. Now the package come pre-assembled and ready to use out of box. Just like other NNs.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

You will love it Dennis,

A short Tip: I do not know which way the lower rail clamp is pre mounted. To Test the LRS setting, I use one of the Hard card you recommended, punched a 7mm center hole and two 6mm hole for the anti twist screw and placed it on top of the rotator directly below the lower rail. 10cm diameter. Using Smooth's circle saw test, in former recommendation the lower rail clamp should be mounted opposite side of viewfinder. You have to mount it visa versa, knob to you. Otherwise you will see the knob in the test pics. Plus you have to cut out the place for the knob in the card to avoid bending.

Cheers,
    Heinz

BTW: If you like, you might mail your rail settings to me compared with mine with your equipment. In case you need the MFR 210 as upper rail you can swap around the MFR170 to lower rail and visa versa. Info for Fisheye lens settings and stitching results can be found in my settings info about Nikon cameras.
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 12-20-2011 at 10:11 PM.
    Users Country Flag

I am planning on using my Nikon 10.5 lens with the ring clamp straight off of the R1. I have some spacing issues to work through as the Nadir adapter is not long enough with the lens ring clamp placed directly into the upper arm clamp. A simple spacer between the upper arm clamp and the upper rotator will solve the problem quite nicely. Besides, the spacer will give me a place to mount my IR remote receiver.

For calibrating, I scavenged a Manfrotto leveler. I use the bottom piece. It is about 4" or so in diameter and has a 3/8" threaded thru hole. I put this directly onto the center column, and then thread a 3/8 set screw into the threaded hole. I then mount the monopod head to this. Any and all pano heads work without any disassembly.

A much cheaper alternative would be to cut a piece of 1/16" aluminum to 4" diameter, then punch a 3/8 hole through. This would go between the pano head and tripod center column. If a pano head manufacturer were to produce these, they could easily put their company logo on them and hand them out for free at trade shows (hint - hint).
    Users Country Flag

This pano head has been in my hands for two days and already I am changing things. Can’t help but tinker.

Using a lens ring mount and the Nadir adapter on this pano head does not work. The Nadir patch shot does not clear the tripod. The camera is too close to the upper rotator. A 3/4" riser block solves this problem. This spacer is needed only when using the Nadir adapter and a lens ring mount. The block also provides a place to mount an IR remote.

Got to love the modular design of the M1.
    Last edited by DennisS; 12-22-2011 at 10:05 AM.
+ Reply to Thread