Sony NEX 5N + Samyang 8mm on NN R10: Uptilt for closed zenith, lens ring

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sony NEX 5N + Samyang 8mm on NN R10: Uptilt for closed zenith, lens ring

Share/Bookmark
  1. Sony NEX 5N + Samyang 8mm on NN R10: Uptilt for closed zenith, lens ring

[I posted following message also on panoguide.com and will post any useful information I might get from there also here]

Hi all,

I would like to use a Sony NEX 5N (1.5 crop) with a Samyang 8mm fisheye (E Mount, fitting to the NEX without adapter) with a Nodal Ninja Ultimate R10, put on a monopod for a compact panorama travel set.
    I am planning to take just 4 or 5 shots around without zenith or nadir. The zenith should be closed by using an up tilt of the R10. The nadir will be closed by cloning in Photoshop, or in rare cases it will be taken as an additional shot.

So, naturally I would like to have an uptilt that just barely closes the zenith so that the nadir hole does not get too big. Can anyone advice me which uptilt I should order for this purpose? Available for the R10 are 2.5°, 5°, 7.5° and 10°. I guess the answer would also be correct for other cameras with 1.5 crop factor like the Nikon DSLRs.

And an additional question (knowing that this forum is also read by the Nodal Ninja folks) regarding the lens ring for the Samyang 8mm from Nodal Ninja: It is offered for "Sony Mount". Is it really the correct fitting for the "Sony E Mount (NEX)", or is it for the "Sony A Mount"? In the latter case, which lens ring should I get?
    I do already have the lens ring for the Sigma 8mm/f3.5 fisheye (Nikon Mount), can I re-use this ring, maybe just with a different plastic insert?

Thanks so much for all the help!
    Users Country Flag

(copied over from Panoguide)

The Samyang lens will require a Zenith and Nadir shot if you want to close the sphere. On a monopod, you might not be able to properly rotate your caerma around to get full coverage with just 4 shots. It works on a tripod, but might be sketchy on a monopod. A 5th shot might be required. You would still have to pivot the camera up to get the Zenith shot.

The Simga 8mm can do 4 around tilted up 5 degrees quite nicely. That will close the Zenith. A hand held Nadir shot will close the sphere. You state that you have the lens ring for the Sigma lens, do you still have the lens? If so, get a Nikon/NEX adapter. Works great with the R1/R10 head.

This is my current hiking/biking rig:

+ Reply to Thread