Is a Modular Head preferable for my equipment ?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is a Modular Head preferable for my equipment ?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Is a Modular Head preferable for my equipment ?

Hi!

I've been using my NN3 for almost 5 years now, improving it with the RD16 rotator. I still do my full spherical panos with my 350D + Canon 10-22, but I would now like to use my 7D, which, of course is to heavy for the NN3.

So here's the question. Do I need an Ultimate Modular Head or would the NN4 be precise enough? I would almost only be using a new NN head for a 7D + 10-22, and maybe get, later, a fisheye (and, who knows, a 5D Mk x). So I'm not someone who will often be changing the settings on the pano head. I would prefer to leave the grip on my 7D, but could this be the only reason to get the Ultimate Head?

I'm sorry if you got similar questions, but I looked through the forum, was a bit lost with all the different threads and didn't find the info I needed (or maybe didn't understand everything). Besides the weight capacity and efficiency for setting modifications, what could decide me to get an Ultimate rather than a NN4?

Thank you!

Why would the 7D be too heavy?
    I still use my 5D MarkII with my old NN3 + the very light RD4 rotator when I do not want to carry too much.

The 5D is 810gr The 7D 820gr
    But of course if you really want to use the grip for panoramas you need something different.
    Hans

Quote Originally Posted by AlchomK View Post
    Hi!
    I've been using my NN3 for almost 5 years now, improving it with the RD16 rotator. I still do my full spherical panos with my 350D + Canon 10-22, but I would now like to use my 7D, which, of course is to heavy for the NN3.
    So here's the question. Do I need an Ultimate Modular Head or would the NN4 be precise enough? I would almost only be using a new NN head for a 7D + 10-22, and maybe get, later, a fisheye (and, who knows, a 5D Mk x). So I'm not someone who will often be changing the settings on the pano head. I would prefer to leave the grip on my 7D, but could this be the only reason to get the Ultimate Head?
    I'm sorry if you got similar questions, but I looked through the forum, was a bit lost with all the different threads and didn't find the info I needed (or maybe didn't understand everything). Besides the weight capacity and efficiency for setting modifications, what could decide me to get an Ultimate rather than a NN4?
    Thank you!
    Hi AlchomK,
    Thank you for being a long time user of our products.
    When you mention using battery packs you should lean towards the M1 series. It is probably one of the most stable pano heads on the market today and being modular allows you to customize as your needs change from fisheye lenses to 200mm lenses.
    You could also use the RD16 rotator off your NN3 and rebuild the NN3 with standard MKII rotator ($49). This could act as backup pano head or you can sell NN3 to recoup a few dollars. Nodal Ninja's do well on the used market.
    Seems most folks are opting for M1-L (double dovetail rails) over the M1-s (single dovetail rails). For the extra $100 dollars, remember you're saving about $200 on RD16, the difference in price gives you that added strength which you'll appreciate when shooting HDR and longer exposures.

If budget is a strong factor NN4 with RD16 would also work. As Hans mentioned your current gear (less battery pack) is within the weight limits of NN3 however both vertical rails of NN4 and M1 are slightly longer than NN3 allowing user greater vertical movement if using longer lenses.

Bill
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AlchomK View Post
    Hi!

Thank you!

If you only an upgrade to your NN3, NN4 is a very good choice. Very solid and precise enough. It supports 7D and battery grip too.
    If you want more functions for your investment, then the modular series is a better choice. It is fully quick release enabled. The rails serve as macro slide, lens plate for tele lens with lens ring. Its components work for stereo photography and many more applications only limited by your imagination.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Thank you to the three of you for your complementary advice. I understand better the advantages of the Modular Series. I'll now have to make a choice between these different options... It's always hard to distinguish present and future needs, evaluate what we'll really end up doing in the field and what we might be missing. Well... I suppose that's how it is, we all end up racking our brains: you inventive designers, to create innovative products, and we consumers, to make the best choice between them!
+ Reply to Thread