Struggling with getting a building straight

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Struggling with getting a building straight

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Struggling with getting a building straight

I took the attached panorama in Athens just recently ( I wanted to photograph this old library before the looters got to it! ).

Anyway I can't obtain an architecturally straight building. I've tried in CS5 and PTgui the latter software has great options to straighten the image but not enough for this one.

I took the image as a multi row, a friend thinks it's possible that I didn't take a row of images exactly level with the ground. In other words I did a row for the sky facing up, a row for the ground facing down but the one which should have been at zero degrees was perhaps out a bit.

So my question is:
    Is it essential when taking a multi row pano like this to take a row at exactly zero degrees?

Or perhaps someone can offer another opinion.

Many thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Grecian-Library-Panored.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	345  

No, it is not necessary to take a row of images exactly level with the ground. Indeed it is not actually nessary to take the shots in rows at all, though that's the usual way of course. You can easily level the panorama accurately during the stitching using t1 (vertical line ) control points. See http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm - it takes less than a minute.
    John
  3. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by John Houghton View Post
    No, it is not necessary to take a row of images exactly level with the ground. Indeed it is not actually nessary to take the shots in rows at all, though that's the usual way of course. You can easily level the panorama accurately during the stitching using t1 (vertical line ) control points. See http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm - it takes less than a minute.
    John
    John,

Thank you for what appears to be an excellent solution to my problem. I'm tied up with work right now but will get back to this in the morning. Once again thank you.

Andrew Waddington
+ Reply to Thread