Name:	DSC_3432.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	234.4 KB 
ID:	330Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3432.JPG.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	331

The plates stand out 0.65", 16mm. This is done to use full length of the base plate for the upper rail and keep the thin plate moveable to adapt it to your own camera, same as normal CP-2 plate principle.

The top plate touches the camera bodies front by cutting out the lens circle and a corner for the outstanding button.

If you like it, IM your address and I can send it on friday. For nothing to get you out of frustration. May be you could send your CP-2 in reverse to me.

If you like changes, I can try to fit it.

Cheers,
    Heinz

BTW: Body arrived at 5.30 pm, now it is nearly 8pm.

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Hi Demon,

your problems seem to be solved:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3426.jpg 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3428.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	328Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3430.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	329Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3432.jpg 
Size:	234.4 KB 
ID:	330Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3432.JPG.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	331

The plates stand out 0.65", 16mm. This is done to use full length of the base plate for the upper rail and keep the thin plate moveable to adapt it to your own camera, same as normal CP-2 plate principle.

The top plate touches the camera bodies front by cutting out the lens circle and a corner for the outstanding button.

If you like it, IM your address and I can send it on friday. For nothing to get you out of frustration. May be you could send your CP-2 in reverse to me.

If you like changes, I can try to fit it.

Cheers,
    Heinz

BTW: Body arrived at 5.30 pm, now it is nearly 8pm.
    I like the idea. I think you've made a reasonable prototype that could be turned into a useful camera plate for a lot of cameras. The final version would be shortened a bit and the mounting screw that holds the camera to the plate could be moved back a bit. The torque is from the lens so more plate in front of the tripod mount would be a more stable configuration. Or you could turn the plate around and reverse the sliding plate. That would be a better configuration for an NN3. The NEX + Samyang 8mm is really long and sits very far back on the upper rail.

Do I want that plate? Maybe. I've ordered an xCP -- the discontinued camera plate. It's smaller but thicker so it gives the lens proper clearance. I've an idea to make that work with the NEX bottom. I want to try my idea first. If that doesn't work, I'll contact you and see if you can make me one like your prototype.
    Last edited by DemonDuck; 09-21-2011 at 09:25 PM.
    Users Country Flag

Demon,

xCP Plate and Cp-2 base plate have the same dimension and CP has same height as xCP. So lens clearance is the same in height. This construction keeps the lens flange free at the connection side. So there should not be any problem in touching the lens.

This "bloody camera body bottom" is curved all around the tripod screw. So the camera front site besides the lens flange is the only point to fix a anti rotation connection and this has to be as wide as CP-2 thin plate. You can not use the camera bodies side either cause your have a connection - usb or something - close to the bottom. Everything in front and behind the "small tripod mount Hill" is curved and even the spaces are not square. I think there is a possibility to change the tripod mount position to the lens flange site and shorten the base plate to cameras back. I'll think about it and will contact Nick. The base plate is hollow at several places and there is only little room for new threads. I have to get a BWS thread in 3/8 and 1/4 anyway on friday. So let us see. Looking forward to your solution.

I am still waiting for the lens and adapter, so I can send you mine and make a new one for me.

Heinz

Yeah, the bottom of the NEX looks like an after thought. The NEX was not designed for tripod use.

And that's why I suggested, "...make a lens ring adapter for the NN3/4/5 you would save a lot of people a lot of grief. Mounting a camera on an NN3/4/5 is still the weak link in your product line...."

and

"...just a camera plate like the xCP that has four holes in it that can be used to attach to the lens ring -- which has four holes in it?..."

A lens like a Samyang 8mm fisheye is a lot heavier than the NEX. I worry that all that torque would stress the tripod hole too much on the NEX which doesn't look like it has a very tough body.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    And that's why I suggested, "...make a lens ring adapter for the NN3/4/5 you would save a lot of people a lot of grief. Mounting a camera on an NN3/4/5 is still the weak link in your product line...."

and

"...just a camera plate like the xCP that has four holes in it that can be used to attach to the lens ring -- which has four holes in it?..."

A lens like a Samyang 8mm fisheye is a lot heavier than the NEX. I worry that all that torque would stress the tripod hole too much on the NEX which doesn't look like it has a very tough body.
    Such a lens ring will have the same cost of our regular one. Is that what you want? I can try make a few.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Nick, what I'm suggesting is an NN3 camera plate that is compatible with your standard lens ring. The lens ring has 4 holes which screw into the lens ring plate. The plate fits into the Arca QR.

What I'm suggesting is an xCP style plate with 4 holes in it like the existing lens ring plate. The xCP with the lens ring attached can then be mounted in the usual way on the upper arm of the NN3 attaching the lens ring to the NN3. The lens ring costs $80 and the plastic insert costs $15. The xCP plate costs $15.

What I don't know is if the xCP plate and the lens ring will give enough clearance between the NEX and the upper arm of the NN3.

I'm not suggesting a different lens ring. I'm suggesting a different lens ring plate.