NN4 assembly

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN4 assembly

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN4 assembly

I just receive my NN4 with the RD16 and now I'm trying to assemble the whole "shebang". No much in the instructions department. I have found:

http://www.nodalninja.com/support/userguides.html and the NN4 section. The complete manual is not that complete and shows the NN3.

The package contained 6 plastic bags without instructions on how to configure...
    1. I need to install the 1/4" screw head. I have found the 3/8" to 1/4" converter. There are 3 rings, 2 tiny thingy and 1 allen key. What are they for?
    2. One package has 3 allen keys with quite a few washers. What's that for?
    3. One package with 2 plates and screws. what for?

I'd like simple instructions:

1. my English is so,so
    2. I'm a clutz...

PS: I don't need the 'howto' for the setups, entrance pupil... I'm currently using a Panosaurus.

Thanks
    Users Country Flag

what you received should be a NN4 No Rotator and RD16, right?

you should find a kit that includes a custom hex screw (big and long one in the picture) and a "logo cap" with Nodal Ninja 4 marking.
    1. mount the lower rail to RD16, matching pre-installed anti-twisting screws at the base of lower rail to sockets in RD16.
    2. Tighten the lower rail with custom screw.
    3. install the logo cap.
    the other parts are replacement parts that you may need when they wear out.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

No, that's not what I received:
    • No large hex allen key, only the small one from your image
    • No nn cap, but there's already one mounted on the lower arm
    • No hex big long screw, but there's only the screw to convert from the 3/8 to 1/4 as shown in your photo.
    • No 2 smaller screws as shown in your image

Are you implying that I can just put the the 3/8 to 1/4 converting screw in without any of the small O ring or the 2 little rubber "thingy"? and not worry about the rest?

I'm asking what may look like dumb question but I'm a klutz. I don;t want to wreck anything at this price.

Thanks

Can you take a picture of what you received? I'm curious by your comment here:

"No nn cap, but there's already one mounted on the lower arm"

For that cap to be mounted on the lower arm, it has to have something to mount onto. So either you've got an R-D16 already mounted on the lower arm or you've got the standard rotator mounted on the lower arm...

Badders
    Users Country Flag

Hi,

could you please send a pic of your set? Then we know what we are talking about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ishot-173 copy.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	319

1 This screw fixes the lower rail t top of RD16. Use the plain screw and place it through the lower rail from top to bottom into top of RD16.

2 These are the Anti Twist Screws of the lower rail. They have to be fixed from below to the lower rail besides the big hole. Fix them to the lower rail and then fix the rail to RD16. Be sure, you fix it to RD16 with the 0° mark facing to you and the lower rail facing to the right. The Anti Twist screws may have a tight fit but press hem softly into place.

Now use 1 through rail from top to fix it to the rotator. Place logo cap on top.

3 Adapter screw to be placed into the bottom of RD16 in case your tripod etc has a 1/4" screw on top. To be fixed with a coin.

Everything used without any rings.

Heinz

BTW: Had the same question reading your comment as Andrew about the lens cap
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 09-15-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by badders View Post
    Can you take a picture of what you received? I'm curious by your comment here:

"No nn cap, but there's already one mounted on the lower arm"

For that cap to be mounted on the lower arm, it has to have something to mount onto. So either you've got an R-D16 already mounted on the lower arm or you've got the standard rotator mounted on the lower arm...
    1. Please note that my English is not my first or second language
    2. The way I received the nn4 is, in the case with the rd-16 that is already mounted on the lower arm

Since there was no documentation and I couldn't find what the allen key was for or the O rings or..., I was worrying.

I will be posting the pictures over the weekend.

Thanks
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by foto-biz View Post
    1. Please note that my English is not my first or second language
    2. The way I received the nn4 is, in the case with the rd-16 that is already mounted on the lower arm

Since there was no documentation and I couldn't find what the allen key was for or the O rings or..., I was worrying.

I will be posting the pictures over the weekend.

Thanks
    you need a 4mm hex key for uninstalling/ reinstalling. Probably, reseller forgot to put it back after assembling your unit. The o-rings are spare parts for knobs which you see have a O-ring.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  8. Photos of NN4 "extra" parts

Here are the photos of what I have received as "extra" parts:

What's the big plate for?

What are the 2 plates/screws for?

2 packages of 5 rubbers to cover the empty holes of the RD16

Not included in the photo, the 3/8 to 1/4 converter (already installed)

Plenty of small parts without any explanation

What's the big plate for?
    It's a second plate for the CP2 included with the head (one with short border, and one with larger, so you can use the one that best fits on the bottom of your camera).

What are the 2 plates/screws for?
    These are rail stops, it's used to remember your settings on each rail (these are extra, you should have already some installed on each rail)

2 packages of 5 rubbers to cover the empty holes of the RD16
    right :)

Not included in the photo, the 3/8 to 1/4 converter (already installed)

Plenty of small parts without any explanation
    all these are some extra spare parts to replace existing ones in case you loose them or if they break.

Vincèn

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com
    Users Country Flag

Some more info:

Name:	NN4 assembly.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	325

When you fit or loosen the NN4 to your tripod, fix the big blue knob and all detend knobs to keep the whole rotator in place when you try to get it loose from tripod/ Ez-Leveller. Do not touch the lowest ring with the degree markings. In case it has moved and the 0° mark on rotator body does not align with ring markings, loosen the small tiny screws on the lowest ring to re adapt. Near 90°/180° marks. It's late, so have a look yourself.

Name:	DSC_2223.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	326

Washers = thin plastics were used to secure the knobs on the upper and lower rail. Now the rubber rings are used to keep them in place.

I'll check my NN4 tomorrow what is used in which place.

Cheers,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 09-19-2011 at 01:52 PM.
+ Reply to Thread