Camera Mounting Plate CP2 doesn't quite fit my NEX5.

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Camera Mounting Plate CP2 doesn't quite fit my NEX5.

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Camera Mounting Plate CP2 doesn't quite fit my NEX5.

I can get it close to the LCD but there's about a 0.05 (estimate) gap. I think I can shim it with some electricians tape. Also, the hex screw that holds the lipped plate in place is English -- not Metric. I don't know if that's a concern. It boggled me for a few minutes.

Also, the lipped plate is longer than it needs to be and because I have to move it so far forward, it impacts part of my Samyang Lens -- lifting it slightly and causing a slight misalignment.

If you would only make a lens ring adapter for the NN3/4/5 you would save a lot of people a lot of grief. Mounting a camera on an NN3/4/5 is still the weak link in your product line.
    Users Country Flag

for the weight of Nex 5, you don't need any anti-twisting. just pull out the top plate of camera plate so that the lip/ flange doesn't touch the camera.
    for the style of Nex 5, it needs lots of customization of camera/ QR plate.
    We will make yet another lens ring to better match the size of Nex camera and lenses.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    for the weight of Nex 5, you don't need any anti-twisting. just pull out the top plate of camera plate so that the lip/ flange doesn't touch the camera.
    for the style of Nex 5, it needs lots of customization of camera/ QR plate.
    We will make yet another lens ring to better match the size of Nex camera and lenses.

Nick
    Yes, the bottom of the NEX is really weird. Why Sony would make such a weird bottom is a mystery. I think they think no body will use it on a tripod.

And yes, the camera is very light. But the Samyang 8mm is relatively large and heavy so the twisting moment is something to be concerned about. I'm going to try the T II adapter -- when I wake up....
    Last edited by DemonDuck; 09-15-2011 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    Yes, the bottom of the NEX is really weird. Why Sony would make such a weird bottom is a mystery. I think they think no body will use it on a tripod.

And yes, the camera is very light. But the Samyang 8mm is relatively large and heavy so the twisting moment is something to be concerned about. I'm going to try the T II adapter -- when I wake up....
    Just to be complete: the T II won't work because I can't move it far enough back on the upper rail and the little pads press on the LCD.

I'm trying to order an xCP but Bill's store is not cooperating.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    Just to be complete: the T II won't work because I can't move it far enough back on the upper rail and the little pads press on the LCD.

I'm trying to order an xCP but Bill's store is not cooperating.

Maybe I can make a custom fitting for using the camera plate and Nex 5/5N.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

What do you think about a camera plate -- not a quick release system -- just a camera plate like the xCP that has four holes in it that can be used to attach to the lens ring -- which has four holes in it? Two problems solved at one time. A lens ring adapter for the NN3/4/5 and no custom plates needed. And if you really got excited about the idea, you could make a smaller, universal adapter to fit the throat of typical wide angle and fisheye adapters used on compact cameras. Or have I said all this before?
+ Reply to Thread