QR system with index pins for Nikon D90?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: QR system with index pins for Nikon D90?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. QR system with index pins for Nikon D90?

Hi,
    Looking for a QR system that would let me quickly mount/dismount the camera, without needing to re-calibrate the upper arm.
    Having an index pin would be nice as would having a plate compatible with Manfrotto clamps (200PL plates).
    Index pin matters more to me.
    What do you suggest?

Thanks!
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kosmarnik View Post
    Hi,
    Looking for a QR system that would let me quickly mount/dismount the camera, without needing to re-calibrate the upper arm.
    Having an index pin would be nice as would having a plate compatible with Manfrotto clamps (200PL plates).
    Index pin matters more to me.
    What do you suggest?

Thanks!
    We are developing custom camera plates for the Ultimate M series, which supports reproducible mounting and anti-twisting. It only works for Arca Swiss compatible system though.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Nice, but I'd like to get a solution for NN5 :)
    What about ASQRC-2? Is it compatible with http://www.adorama.com/AWSFCPSLR.html ?
    I'm look for something like that.
    Users Country Flag

Sorry to say, but the answer is no, far too small.

ASQRC-2 takes camera plates with a width of 46.7 mm, NN Arca style clamp with a width of 38mm.

I have tested a lot of this "bloody stuff" So many different systems and types and now as an "add on" something like this with an index pin.

Ok seriously: Use NN Arca style clamp on the upper rail of NN5, fix it to upper rail setting and leave it on the rail.

The easiest way for me to get a fixed stop that functions like "the index pin" is to use the NN Arca Style camera plate on it. Means you get the System. The clamp has a silver moveable small plate on each side, being raised, this will stop the camera plate at a definite position. You can use whatever Arca style camera plate you like to use, Wimberley, Kirk, Really Right Stuff, the silver plate will stop them. Without the need of new calibration. And then you have to check how the arca style System fits to the rest of your equipment. Manfrotto QRS are always a little bit special.

http://store.nodalninja.com/products...em-ASQRS2.html

You can even use the small stop screws of third party camera plates to stop the camera plate inside the hollow grooves of NN Arca Style Clamp without using the silver plates. "Cause Nick is listening".

But anyway: using the rail stop plates with normal CP-2 for your special equipment does not need re-calibration. Even without this plate and aligning the marks will give you excellent results. But may be you have your special reason why you are looking for a "click stop".

I just accept that.

Success,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 08-18-2011 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    I have tested a lot of this "bloody stuff" So many different systems and types and something like this with an index pin.
    Erm, that's what I'm trying to avoid :D

You can use whatever Arca style camera plate you like to use, Wimberley, Kirk, Really Right Stuff, the silver plate will stop them. Without the need of new calibration. And then you have to check how the arca style System fits to the rest of your equipment. Manfrotto QRS are always a little bit special.
    Being compatible with Manfrotto QR systems isn't a biggie, mounting the camera in the same position is.
    That said, I'm still confused about which way to go. QRS-2 or ASQRC-2, if ASQRC-2 what plate?
    Users Country Flag

Just use this System, comes with the clamp to be fixed on the upper rail, and the camera plate:

Because this System is thicker than the normal CP-2 plate, you have to adjust LRS = Lower Rail Setting. It adds around 12mm. Normal LRS on NN5 for D90 is 55, so check 67 and test it with Smooth's circle saw method, the best method to fine tune your lower rail setting.

So raise the silver plate at the front side of the clamp, slide in the camera, fix, and on you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bNE-5TVAmg

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 08-18-2011 at 05:57 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Erm, that's what I'm trying to avoid :D

Being compatible with Manfrotto QR systems isn't a biggie, mounting the camera in the same position is.
    That said, I'm still confused about which way to go. QRS-2 or ASQRC-2, if ASQRC-2 what plate?
    Our new Ultimate line QR clamps can also be used on NN4/5. Just mount it on the camera mounting plate or a low profile rail plate. and use our coming QR plates.

nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

Nice, but I'd like to get a solution for NN5 :)
    What about ASQRC-2? Is it compatible with http://www.adorama.com/AWSFCPSLR.html ?
    I'm look for something like that.
    interesting. I am working on the same idea. However, base on my figures, Canon 5D and 50D do not share the same pin if the plate is to be parallel to sensor plane. We will have one plate for all mid range Canon DSLRS from 20D to 60D, 7D and 5DII and another for the rebel from 300D to 600D. We will have 2 plates for all canon battery grips. We will have a few for Nikon DSLRs that utilize a anti-twisting flange.
    All our plates will automatically align the lens axis on our Ultimate line QR clamps. So no need to adjust the lateral position of plate on the clamp.
    The plate is Arca Swiss compatible. So it will also work for ASQRC1/2. of course, you need to align the lens axis manually in this case.

nick

Fanotec
+ Reply to Thread