Camera lens combinations that will need the QRC 40B Clamp for use on M1 upper rail 170mm MFR-170

Thread: Camera lens combinations that will need the QRC 40B Clamp for use on M1 upper rail 170mm MFR-170

Share/Bookmark
  1. Camera lens combinations that will need the QRC 40B Clamp for use on M1 upper rail 170mm MFR-170

Users Country Flag

Hello again,

Following my tests about settings concerning M1, you will need this clamp for the combination because you see the rail in the picture:

Nikon D3: shaved Nikkor 10.5,

Sigma 8mm/f3.5

Samyang 8mm/f3.5

Nikon D3 Nikkor 16mm is ok on MFR-170

Tomorrow I will check these lenses with other Nikon Bodies.

http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/show...-shipping-soon

Regards,
    Heinz

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 08-11-2011 at 09:52 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Hi, my next test with fisheye lenses on upper rail MFR170:

Following my tests about settings concerning M1, you will need clamp QRC 40B in combination with QRC 40A on upper rail because you see the rail in the picture:

D300s, D7000, D200, D90 for the use with Sigma 8mm/f3.5 and Samyang 8mm/f3.5

No need for Nikkor 10.5/f2.8 and Nikkor 16mm/f2.8

D5100 even needs QRC 40B for Nikkor 10.5/f2.8 besides for the other fisheye lenses.

QRC 40A and QRC 40B are fixed together so that you can glide forward on the upper rail. I'll send the solutions and settings when I got a QRC 40B in my hands.

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 08-14-2011 at 11:49 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Do you see the rail in the final stitch?
    Users Country Flag

Hi Dennis,

Actually to say I did not try this till now. Depending on the lens camera combination your see more or less of the rail.

I will test this the next days.

Ups, don't know why the pics are turned around being uploaded, it's late and I leave it like this right now. Samyang looks similar to Sigma.

Cheers,
    Heinz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sigma_8mm_D300s.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	253   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sigma_8mm_D200.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sigma_8mm_D7000.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nikkor10.5_D5100.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	193.4 KB 
ID:	250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sigma_8mm_D90.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	254  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShavedNikkor_10.5_D3.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	255  
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 08-14-2011 at 01:02 PM.
    Users Country Flag

Wow. The upper rail does stick out a lot in some of the combinations. I would be interested to see the final stitch. It may be an issue with some of the combinations.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Dennis,

In the meantime I stitched some of the worst showing M1 upper rail lenses like D3 shaved 10.5 and D7000 Sigma8mm/f3.5.

Your question was a good one. It is always worth the time to listen to your comments. I personally have been surprised of the stitching result:

The upper rail does not show in the stitch, I used PTGuiPro. I had contact about this with Nick as well, and it seems that the rail does not show when it shows "inside the overlap area". Might be in cases we shoot "extreme", 3 shots instead of 4 with a lens then can do both and overlap decreases below 20% for example.

I will stay on line with this project. I do not believe this might be a special software solution, 25% overlap should be the same in all stitching software?

@John, what do you think? Do we have to test other software?

So right now, I will take my time to test and stitch the Nikon Branch with bodies and lenses I have available and let you see this later on. Will take some time.

Cheers,
    Heinz

Heinz, My own solution to the long rail problem is to use a QRC-2 adapter that slides along the upper rail in the manner of an NN5. I have two screws fitted into holes in the plate that protrude into the central slot of the upper rail to provide an anti twist feature:

I don't like anything intruding unnecessarily into the image area. Some software will automatically cope with anything that does, though it is always safer to use a mask to be sure. The reduction of overlap it causes is in the important central horizontal band where one would prefer to have maximum overlap to maximize one's options for editing in busy scenes with moving features. With a full circle fisheye , it is inevitable that parts of the upper rotator will intrude on the right hand side, as the entrance pupil is necessarily aligned with the centre of the rotator.

John
    Users Country Flag

John, thx a lot for sharing your solution and your overall opinion concerning this question.

Regards,
    Heinz

Quote Originally Posted by John Houghton View Post
    Heinz, My own solution to the long rail problem is to use a QRC-2 adapter that slides along the upper rail in the manner of an NN5. I have two screws fitted into holes in the plate that protrude into the central slot of the upper rail to provide an anti twist feature:

John
    Hi John,

How have you mounted 2 x anti-twist screws to the QRC-2 plate? The multitude of holes available on my QRC-2 plate are all offset to the slot of the MFR160 rail on my M1-S. Have you drilled your own holes for the anti-twist screws....?

thanks
    Stu

Stu, Here's a photo of the QRC-2 plate with the screws fitted:

http://ge.tt/9JBrxu02/v/0?c

The two screws were made for me by a friend. As I recall, he made them from threaded rods that had a hex socket at one end, He just turned them down to the right diameter and length on his lathe. It only took him a few minutes.

John