Bent after intensive use?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bent after intensive use?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Bent after intensive use?

After five years, my first NN3 is finally at the end of its life. I have been using it with a Nikon D70s and later a Nikon D90. Now the upper rail is bent in such a strange way that I wonder if these cameras may have been too heavy for the NN3? See the attached picture.

Pierre
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	NodalNinjaBent.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	227  

Something must have happened. Maybe it got banged from air travel or something. That's a lot of force to bend the arm like that. IMHO....

You could possibly find out if the bending was a gradual process or happened suddenly by sampling old PTGui project files. Increasing twist in the arm will result in increasing roll values. Optimizing the main horizontal row with pitch and roll linked will give an accurate value for the roll angle. Heavy lenses will add to the load on the arm too.

John
    Last edited by John Houghton; 07-23-2011 at 11:35 PM.
    Users Country Flag

Hi,

I too can not imagine that this would appear by normal use. Plus D70s and D90 belong to the lighter camera bodies. What lenses did you use? Think Nick will try answer that question too.

Heinz

Do you also have similar problems with spoons?...

Badders
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pgielen View Post
    After five years, my first NN3 is finally at the end of its life. I have been using it with a Nikon D70s and later a Nikon D90. Now the upper rail is bent in such a strange way that I wonder if these cameras may have been too heavy for the NN3? See the attached picture.

Pierre
    I have no idea. Take John's tip and do a check for your previous panos.
    Any way, you can replace the upper rail if it is the only part problematic.

Nick
    Last edited by nick fan; 07-24-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    We have done minor changes to NN3 over the years. I need to know your version. contact me by email to get the right part. my email is fanotec at g m a i l. com.

nick

Fanotec

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    I have no idea. Take John's tip and do a check for your previous panos.
    Any way, you can replace the upper rail if it is the only part problematic.

Nick
    I will check some old pictures then. Problem is, I'm not that precise with leveling the head before shooting a panorama, maybe that's also the reason that at first I didn't notice that it got bent before. And even now that it is bent, I can still succesfully make panoramas with it.
    I don't think it got bent on my recent flight to Portugal (or back home) either, because I kept my camera bag with the NN3 in it with me as hand luggage. And the only lens I used this with is my Nikon 10.5mm fisheye.

Pierre

And even now that it is bent, I can still succesfully make panoramas with it.
    This is to be expected, provided that you set up the head properly. PTGui will cope with the camera roll quite happily. Indeed some people deliberately roll the camera by as much as 30° when using a circular fisheye on a cropped sensor in order to get the maximum vertical fov. One thing that you might try is to simply bend the arm back to its original flat state!

John
    Users Country Flag

I will check some old pictures then. Problem is, I'm not that precise with leveling the head before shooting a panorama, maybe that's also the reason that at first I didn't notice that it got bent before. And even now that it is bent, I can still succesfully make panoramas with it.
    I don't think it got bent on my recent flight to Portugal (or back home) either, because I kept my camera bag with the NN3 in it with me as hand luggage. And the only lens I used this with is my Nikon 10.5mm fisheye.

Pierre
    Hi Pierre,

Do you use a remote control to trigger the shutter? Do you happened to turn your NN3 by pushing the camera attached?

Nick

Fanotec

Hi Nick,

Pushing the trigger button or turning the NN3 by pushing the camera does not exert so much force on the upper arm that it should bend. I tried to bend it back a bit by hand and I’m just not strong enough :-).
    So yes, something must have happened, because it was not a slow process. I found a recent (May 31) photo with a reflection of the camera in a mirror and as you can see, it is straight. I just wonder what could have put enough force on the upper arm to bend it without me noticing.

Pierre

+ Reply to Thread