Pre sale questions

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pre sale questions

Share/Bookmark
  1. Pre sale questions

Actually, I have a ton of questions. But after watching the two very good videos below, my questions went down to a few.

My equipment, a Panasonic GH1 and probably with the 8mm fisheye lens. Might go for the 7-14mm.

After much reading, I can't convince myself to buy the R1. It seems much harder to shoot the nadir and zenith shots. Correct?

The videos featuring the NN3 MKII Starter Package. Correct? With the starter package, do I need to get additional detent rings for 45º (8 shots) and 60º (6 shots) horizontal rotation? What about 90º (4 shots)? Unlikely my equipment setup will permit 4 shots. But I like to know.

Why should I get the NN3 MKII RD8 or RD16? Starter Package will give me bigger nadir footprint? With 6 shots, will the nadir footprint be the same when using either RD8 or RD16. Apart from more stops, what more can RD16 gives?

Curious on RD8 or RD16 feature > "Great in windy locations." What's that? Starter kit not good in windy location?

If I purchase the RD8, is it possible to upgrade to RD16 in terms of parts?

BTW, I'm a newbie on all these.

Thanks.

Users Country Flag

NN3II Starter comes with 0/15º and 45º/60º rings. it is what you need.
    The RD8 and 16 allows you to change the detent options on the fly. It also has independent pan lock which is good for HDR in windy condition. NN3II default rotator controls the tension and pan lock at the same time. it has smaller footprint.
    RD8 can't upgrade to RD16.

Nick
    Last edited by nick fan; 07-08-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Thanks Nick for the reply.

I wish there were videos to describe what you explain. But I managed to find pdf manual on the NN3 standard. Things are clearer now.

The independent pan lock on the RD8 and RD16 is more of a screw lock. Correct?

On nadir footrpint. NN3II Starter < RD8 ≠ or < or > RD16?

Almost ordered, but was shock that the cheapest shipping is almost half the cost of the NN3II Starter. Anyhow, still trying to read more spheric panorama.

Quote Originally Posted by mgsati View Post
    After much reading, I can't convince myself to buy the R1. It seems much harder to shoot the nadir and zenith shots. Correct?
    Correct. The R1 isn't designed for shooting zenith/nadir shots. It's been made possible with the new zenith/nadir adapter for the R1 but the NN3,NN4 and Ultimate M1-S and M1-L are better when you have a lot of shots with zenith/nadir's.

The videos featuring the NN3 MKII Starter Package. Correct?
    Correct.

With the starter package, do I need to get additional detent rings for 45º (8 shots) and 60º (6 shots) horizontal rotation?
    No, they are included.
    What about 90º (4 shots)?
    You will need an additional detent ring for that. Your reseller can supply this.

Why should I get the NN3 MKII RD8 or RD16?
    The R-D8 and R-D16 are easier when it comes to changing the number of click stops for a given panorama. Very useful if you are using different focal length lenses on multiple panoramas. An example might be using a Sigma 8mm to shoot interiors and a 16mm to shoot landscapes.

Starter Package will give me bigger nadir footprint?
    No.

With 6 shots, will the nadir footprint be the same when using either RD8 or RD16.
    Yes.

Apart from more stops, what more can RD16 gives?
    See above. It's much easier to change the stop settings with the R-D8/16 than having to dismantle the standard rotator and swap out detent rings.

Curious on RD8 or RD16 feature > "Great in windy locations." What's that? Starter kit not good in windy location?
    I'll pass on that. I've used the NN3 starter package on a hillside in Scotland. I don't think you can find more windy conditions than that...

If I purchase the RD8, is it possible to upgrade to RD16 in terms of parts?
    Sorry, no.

BTW, I'm a newbie on all these.
    That's OK we all were once...

Badders

Thank you badders for the point-to-point answers.

I think I know what to get. Wish the zenith/nadir adapter is included in all the kits.

Considering hard now as I don't want this to end up as a white elephant? My GH1 is already is.

I think I know what to get.
    What are you going to get?

Badders

Quote Originally Posted by badders View Post
    What are you going to get?
    The NN3 MKII Starter Package and Nadir Adapter for NN3 NN4 NN5.

Trying to figure out on the quick release system and clamp. Is it for the upper rail?

A standard quick release plate can be attached to the base of the NN3 like the above video. Wonder is there a quick release for the upper rail to attached the camera quickly.

Wish the zenith/nadir adapter is included in all the kits.
    Considering hard now as I don't want this to end up as a white elephant? My GH1 is already is.
    Hi mgsati,
    If we included the nadir adapter in package it would increase the price by same and some people would feel being force fed products that may not necessarily need. NN3 MKII is good low cost solution and we want to keep prices low so best to have them add-on the items they may need for their particular workflows. We haven't raised the price on the NN3 package for close to 3+ years - actually we lowered the price.
    And you will never have white elephant - products are guaranteed - if you aren't happy simply return it within the resellers allotted time frame for refund of purchase. We ask that you test the products as soon as you get them to make sure they are right for you. We also have a rental program in the US.
    thx
    Bill

Trying to figure out on the quick release system and clamp. Is it for the upper rail?
    A standard quick release plate can be attached to the base of the NN3 like the above video. Wonder is there a quick release for the upper rail to attached the camera quickly.
    Generally speaking, and because the NN3 MKII is a smaller head, the use of quick release system (QRS) on NN3 is generally not recommended as it would skew NPP settings and may not fit. If you had point and shoot this wouldn't be a problem. If you are shooting with SLR or DSLR you should consider stepping into the NN4.
    You can attach any QRS to "base" of NN3 for easy on/off mounting onto tripod.
    Bill
    The

Thanks Bill for the replies.

Still trying to figure the quick release part for the upper rail. Right now, I have a quick release plate RC2 attached permanently to GH1. I had the plate threaded for the Spider Pin to use with the Spider Pro Holster. All I need is to quickly screw in the pin. I like to do things with the minimum amount of chore. I'm wondering if the quick release clamp's bottom rail can be rotated. If it's soldered as it is, then it's useless to what I have in mind.

My opinion on Nodal Ninja is very good. The white elephant part is on me. In 20 months, I only used my GH1 less than 10 times just to shoot one or two images each time. Twice were to shot video to demonstrate a point. You get the idea. Basically I'm buying accessories to increase my GH1 usage.

Still trying to figure the quick release part for the upper rail. Right now, I have a quick release plate RC2 attached permanently to GH1. I had the plate threaded for the Spider Pin to use with the Spider Pro Holster. All I need is to quickly screw in the pin. I like to do things with the minimum amount of chore. I'm wondering if the quick release clamp's bottom rail can be rotated. If it's soldered as it is, then it's useless to what I have in mind.

My opinion on Nodal Ninja is very good. The white elephant part is on me. In 20 months, I only used my GH1 less than 10 times just to shoot one or two images each time. Twice were to shot video to demonstrate a point. You get the idea. Basically I'm buying accessories to increase my GH1 usage.
    For NN3 I do not believe QRS is ideal solution for you. It seems you have very specific needs that may be a challenge to work with. I might suggest trying to take your plate off your camera and just mount normally with NN camera plate - only takes a couple seconds to screw on and off.

Bill
    Users Country Flag

don't get the QRC2. it does not work for you. Get a 3/8" rail plate.
    http://store.nodalninja.com/products...%7D8-inch.html
    and a Manfrotto 323 QR clamp. It can mounts in either 90 deg orientation.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    For NN3 I do not believe QRS is ideal solution for you. It seems you have very specific needs that may be a challenge to work with. I might suggest trying to take your plate off your camera and just mount normally with NN camera plate - only takes a couple seconds to screw on and off.

Bill
    Yup, I'm a challenge. When Apple came up with the first UFO-shaped AirPort router, I managed to create wireless printing with it. Zero hack. No one knew then if it was possible or not. Pure logic should work. I bought that router just because I had an idea for convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    don't get the QRC2. it does not work for you. Get a 3/8" rail plate.
    http://store.nodalninja.com/products...%7D8-inch.html
    and a Manfrotto 323 QR clamp. It can mounts in either 90 deg orientation.

Nick
    I already have the 323 QR Clamp. Guess I will get another for the top rail if I decide to embrace this hobby. In all pure logic with the 3/8" rail plate, everything should come together.

Thanks, guys.

Hello mgsati,

Lots of good advice here, but for what it is worth, I am currently using an NN3 with a 10.5mm fisheye so that I can take zenith and nadir shots when I need to, but I am also using a 4.5mm fisheye with an R1 for busy (with people moving around) locations.

I would recommend the NN3 set up as a starter as it gives you a lot of flexibility.
    I keep the upper arm plate permanently on camera as it does not weigh very much and find it really does not take long to fit the camera to the NN3 with the upper arm bolt.

Hugh.

Thanks Hugh for the recommendation.
+ Reply to Thread