Problems Calibrating Olympus E-510 W/ 14 - 50mm lense

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problems Calibrating Olympus E-510 W/ 14 - 50mm lense

Share/Bookmark
  1. Problems Calibrating Olympus E-510 W/ 14 - 50mm lense

Hi everyone,

I've been struggling with getting my camera to calibrate correctly with the Nodal Ninja 3. I'm currently shooting at 14mm. I've positioned the vertical arm so that the camera is positioned over the nodal point. I followed a long with a online video which I'm not sure is correct. I positioned the vertical arm so that the cameras was centered over the center of the tripod head (nodal point).

I've positioned the horizontal arm so that it aligns correctly with objects when I pan. When I tilt the camera the object appear elongated. Which leads me to believe that the vertical arm is not positioned correctly. I'm not sure where to go from here. Please share any information you may have in resolving this issue.

Thanks!

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by rcmagraw View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I've been struggling with getting my camera to calibrate correctly with the Nodal Ninja 3. I'm currently shooting at 14mm. I've positioned the vertical arm so that the camera is positioned over the nodal point. I followed a long with a online video which I'm not sure is correct. I positioned the vertical arm so that the cameras was centered over the center of the tripod head (nodal point).
    I've positioned the horizontal arm so that it aligns correctly with objects when I pan. When I tilt the camera the object appear elongated. Which leads me to believe that the vertical arm is not positioned correctly. I'm not sure where to go from here. Please share any information you may have in resolving this issue.
    Thanks! Ryan
    Hi Ryan - are you able to show us an image of your setup so we can confirm it is positioned correctly on the NN3?
    thx
    Bill

Ryan, Your setup of the NN3 may well be adequate. You might try shooting a panorama and seeing how it turns out. However, I'm not convinced that you understand what you are doing, so take a look at these tutorials as well:
    http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm
    http://www.easypano.com/forum/displa...1&TopicID=4162
    John

Bill and John,

Thanks for the replies. I'll work on getting some screen shots later tonight.

Ryan
    Users Country Flag

Hi Ryan,

For first calibration for LRS = Lower rail setting set your center focus ring looking through the viewfinder in the middle of the NN logo. Then follow up the tutorial of Smooth. Imagine a circle saw blade: when the tooth cuts to the right, move the camera to the right. The tooth cuts to the left, move the camera to the left.

Concerning URS = upper rails setting with John's Tutorial: turning clockwise and the reference point follows the movement, move camera forward on upper rail. Turning clockwise and the reference point moves against the movement, move backwards.

For both LRS and URS try to find a point in between: the right point is the point where a mm more to the left or the right the Right Setting or a mm forward or backwards of the Right Setting should show changing the tooth cut from left to right or the reference point to follow or move against cameras movement.

Start from the front of the lens for URS, mostly near the golden ring viewing through your viewfinder watching the reference point and move camera backwards. Move by 5 mm intervals till you find the reference points movement changing from "with to against". Once the reference point changed from "with to against camera movement" move forward one by one mm till you find the URS.

Once you got the tricks to do it, you will find your settings for any other camera lens combination very easy. Even if you get data for your combination, you should test it with your own equipment following the tutorials to compensate small differences to your own equipment.

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 07-06-2011 at 11:03 PM.

I convinced the issue I'm having is barrel distortion. I was able to calibrate my camera at 35mm without any parallax. When trying to calibrate at 14mm I ran to some issues with parallax. Is there anyway to resolve barrel distortion with upgrading the lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by rcmagraw View Post
    When trying to calibrate at 14mm I ran to some issues with parallax.
    I don't understand. What issues are you having with parallax? Barrel distortion ought to be correctable by the evaluation of suitable lens parameters during optimization.

John

Here is my issue. I have found the correct rail setting for calibrating my lens at 35mm. The problem arises when shooting at 14mm. Theoretically, the lower rail should be correctly positioned from calibrating at 35mm. When I go to calibrate the upper rail there is parallax for both pan and tilt. The parallax is expected in tilt but i would assume the pan would be correct. With that said, I go through the same process of calibrating the lower rail and upper and am unable to remove parallax which leads me to believe that it's barrel distortion.
    Users Country Flag

Stop making assumptions. That is your main problem.

Barrel distortion is very large with a 8mm fisheye lens. Panoramas shot with this (and other) fisheye lenses stitch just fine. Do not focus on barrel distortion any more.

Do not assume what works for 35mm works at 14mm. Theoretically the lower rail setting should not change, but I would not assume anything. If your camera is mounted absolutely perfectly square and plumb, then the lower rail SHOULD not change.

You need to go through the entire calibration exercise with your lens set at 14mm.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Ryan,

Just send the set of pics and we will try to fix your problem.

Regards,
    Heinz

Here are some images. Please help

Lower Arm Settings:

Image Overlay:

Middle Image:

Pan Image:

I posted a reply with some images but it looks like it didn't go though.

Upload the images somewhere and just post a link to them here. You can use a free file hosting site such as http://www.zshare.net if you don't have your own personal web space. It's helpful if you parcel all the images together in a single zip or rar archive file using a utility such as 7-zip (for Windows).

Here you go. Sorry it took so long to respond.

Please help :)

shots.zip - 4.43MB

Thanks for the shots, but it's not obvious what they are intended to show. The "middle" and "pan" images seem to be absolutely identical.

John
+ Reply to Thread