Searching for a better set screw for the RD16

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Searching for a better set screw for the RD16

Share/Bookmark
  1. Searching for a better set screw for the RD16

I have been looking for a alternative for the set screw of the RD16 for quite some time. In my line of photography, I need to fix the RD16 for every tile I take, otherwise I get blurry results and/or the exposure brackets don't line up naturally (night, long exposure brackets), and I need to do this while the setup is almost out of reach, in the dark, in the cold, without affecting/bumping/moving the pano setup. The standard screw is small, difficult to grab (especially with gloves in the cold), and kinda painful after 200 sets:

http://nypano.com/blog/wp-content/up...6/IMG_0627.jpg

Fortunately, Nodal Ninja has a nice turning handle for their rotators, unfortunately it is to be used only as a handle, not as a set screw, hence the thread is about 0.5mm too short, compared to the original set screw:

But a small mod (via drill press filing, or if you have with a lathe), lets you extend the screw easily by 0.5mm:

Unfortunately, the handle is made of anodized aluminium, and doesn't offer much girth or grip, it feels as if it's made for smaller hands. But that can easily be fixed with plastidip (about 4-5 coatings):

Now the handle can be used with 2 fingers, with good grip, and no frostbite, just perfect:

My suggestion for Nick would be:
    Make the thread 0.5mm longer by default, and simply add a 1mm nylon washer when the user want's to use it as a handle, and the silicon rubber ring to use it as a set screw.
    Add curling or a plastic cover to give it more grip.

joergen
    360nyc.com

Hi Joergen,
    Good feedback - actually a handle that could also double as lock knob would be nice accessory.

Bill
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joergen Geerds View Post

My suggestion for Nick would be:
    Make the thread 0.5mm longer by default, and simply add a 1mm nylon washer when the user want's to use it as a handle, and the silicon rubber ring to use it as a set screw.
    Add curling or a plastic cover to give it more grip.

joergen
    360nyc.com
    if you use your modified handle as a pan lock. it is fine. if you use it as a panning handle, there is risk of damaging the thread of the rotator in the long run. This is because when the screw in not in tightened, the area of contact is very small. A better design should be able to adjust the length of thread.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
+ Reply to Thread