NN5L on Pole serie2 ?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN5L on Pole serie2 ?

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN5L on Pole serie2 ?

Users Country Flag

Hi, I'm considering buying a serie2 pole (even if it's much too expensive for my small budget...).
    I use a D700 with a tokina 10-17 shaved on it.

I was wondering if I have also to buy a R10 + ring + quick adaptater or if I can use my good old NN5L instead ?

Thanx !
    Users Country Flag

Hi Jerome,

I would not use the NN5 on top of the pole, heavy and setting a lot of torque on top of the pole. Plus you want to add a D700 with the tokina lens. This in the beginning is a lot of weight in itself.

To give you a better advice, how do you like to use the pole, which rotator, on a small tripod, normal tripod, or on the new rotator footplate directly on the ground? Would ask an RD4 Rotator or one of the new minis. Or as a sort "monopod" without rotator?

Minimum the R10 + ring and for the best also the Quick mount mini system.

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 06-27-2011 at 10:13 AM.
    Users Country Flag

yes, you can use your NN5L. Remove any rotator and attach the lower rail to the pole directly.
    But for pole photography, the lighter the setup, the better and easier.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Jerome,

If you have some time, and I find some extra time, I will mount the NN5 on top of the pole for you and send the pics. May be the next days, at least at the weekend. NN5 with Quick Mount Mini as well. Plus the R1 version. What Rotator do you use with NN5L?

Cheers,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 06-27-2011 at 10:28 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Jerome,

If you have some time, and I find some extra time, I will mount the NN5 on top of the pole for you and send the pics. May be the next days, at least at the weekend. NN5 with Quick Mount Mini as well. Plus the R1 version. What Rotator do you use with NN5L?

Cheers,
    Heinz
    Great, thanx !
    Until now I used a standard monopod handled with my NN5 on it for "pano-journalism" reaching then about 3 meters:
    http://www.360images.fr/visites-virt...-d-angers.html

but it's not very comfortable and I would like to go higher some times.

I guess I would use if with the footplate and a 45° clickstop, I has to be fast to set for shooting and going away quickly...

Thanx for your advices !

Hi Jerome, I have experience of 10,000+ "pano-journalism" panos. What monopod you use now?
    I need that info to give you some tips and maybe a good advice for your upgrade regarding the speed and that "quickly" you talking about.

cheers,
    Dorin
    http://www.livepanoramas.com
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DorinDXN View Post
    Hi Jerome, I have experience of 10,000+ "pano-journalism" panos. What monopod you use now?
    I need that info to give you some tips and maybe a good advice for your upgrade regarding the speed and that "quickly" you talking about.

cheers,
    Dorin
    http://www.livepanoramas.com
    Hi dorin, and thanx for your help !
    I'm using a manfrotto 479B with a NN5L on it with a D700 and tokina 10-17 @ 12mm (4 shots)
    I usually handle the monopod by his bottom at about 1.4 meter and try to keep it at the same position when I turn it... (wich is not very easy...)
    That's why I'm thinking in buying the pole serie2 to have it more stable on the ground and to go higher with my camera !
    If it's quick to pull it out up to 3 or 5 meters , to shoot and then to pull it back then it's what I'm looking for !

Thanx for your advices !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeromebg View Post
    Hi dorin, and thanx for your help !
    I'm using a manfrotto 479B with a NN5L on it with a D700 and tokina 10-17 @ 12mm (4 shots)
    I usually handle the monopod by his bottom at about 1.4 meter and try to keep it at the same position when I turn it... (wich is not very easy...)
    That's why I'm thinking in buying the pole serie2 to have it more stable on the ground and to go higher with my camera !
    If it's quick to pull it out up to 3 or 5 meters , to shoot and then to pull it back then it's what I'm looking for !

Thanx for your advices !!!
    Hi Jerome,

My advice will starts telling that your current monopod has clamps while the Fanotec Poles has kind of twist-lock mechanism, you'll find this slower and less confortable for journalistic VRs. But you'll manage to handle that in some time and that will be fine.

You'll have other great benefits from Fanotec Poles but follow Heinz and Nick's advice and consider using the lens ring at some point in (near) future.
    Is not about only the weight but also the shadow and handelling, with lens ring are much much better than with the NN5

The follows will helps you about you small budget. I recommend buying the Series 1 and now or later the extension for the Series 1 which is the same lower base from the Series 2.

With Series 1 you have, at 0.75 Kg, a range from 81cm to 2.75m and, only if you need more, with the extension, up to 5.50m.
    At certain point in time I hope that some acessories will allow the use of the minirotators as belt rotators wich will extent further more the initial range of the Series 1.

About rotator, the new mini pole rotator is great, I guess you'll find the 45° one suitable and you'll take photos at every other two to achieve the 90° I understand you use now, also the rotator footplate will be very usefull.

You'll find the lower 81 cm more suitable sometimes for journalistic VR than the 1.20m of the Series 2, also much easy to cary.
    Sometimes I need to take from even lower POV then I quick handle the monopod/camera upsided-down, and rotating with 90° should be easier for you than 60° I do
    Then you'll try to keep the pole in the same position like you're sourouding a mast, with practice you'll find that easier in no time even w/o need to look down, keeping your concentration on subjects, the benefits will be POVs more suited for kids and other subjects.

cheers,
    Dorin
    http://www.livepanorams.com
    Last edited by DorinDXN; 07-01-2011 at 06:21 AM.
+ Reply to Thread