Smearing top of 360 pano's.

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Smearing top of 360 pano's.

Share/Bookmark

Ben, The pointy star at the zenith that you are calling "smearing" is often referred to as a vortex and is a blending problem. See my early response dated 06-05-2011 05:34 AM. It has nothing directly to do with the NPP setting. Are you using PTGui and its own blender?

John

Hello Ben,

The example panos are fine to me, you say there is smearing in it but not visible with regular processing so I think the smearing problem (whatever is was) is tackled.
    I think removing of the dust on lens and/or sensor and removing/reducing the remaining CA is much more important to gain image quality...

Success,
    Wim

PS. John, are you sure you see a vortex in Ben's 2 examples, or are you referring to a different pano ?
    http://www.studio-beni.net/New.html
    Last edited by Wim.Koornneef; 08-22-2011 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Houghton View Post
    Ben, The pointy star at the zenith that you are calling "smearing" is often referred to as a vortex and is a blending problem. See my early response dated 06-05-2011 05:34 AM. It has nothing directly to do with the NPP setting. Are you using PTGui and its own blender?

John

I was John, only downloaded the other engine for the first time yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Wim.Koornneef View Post
    Hello Ben,

The example panos are fine to me, you say there is smearing in it but not visible with regular processing so I think the smearing problem (whatever is was) is tackled.
    I think removing of the dust on lens and/or sensor and removing/reducing the remaining CA is much more important to gain image quality...

Success,
    Wim
    Thanks Wim, the dust/CA will of course be gone on commercial output, I just didn't bother for this testing.
    Users Country Flag

BTW: Thx Wim and John for stepping in.

You got two of the very experts of this forum to get rid of your problem Ben.

Success,
    Heinz

Quote Originally Posted by Wim.Koornneef View Post
    PS. John, are you sure you see a vortex in Ben's 2 examples, or are you referring to a different pano ?
    Wim, I'm referring to the several panos (except the first) at http://www.studio-beni.net/Bart.html .

John

Well! Seems the problem was the HDR program! The weird twisty thing is back again in all its glory! Trying to work out what it's doing that is causing that but it's in line with John's theory that the vortex is software not hardware based. The HDR program is somehow warping the finished stitch. I'm going to try HDR-ing the individual frames pre-stitch to see if that solves the problem.

Oh and I hadn't forgotten my own thanks for all of you who have been so patient with me! I so wanted to believe in my NN5 and thanks to you I now can!

Ben, I'm a little surprised to hear that these vortices are being produced with PTGui's blender, though possibly they are somehow due to subsequent processing. If you care to upload a set of camera images that illustrates the problem (one exposure set only, half size jpegs will do), maybe we can get a better idea of what is going on and be in a better position to offer a solution.

John

-Edit-
    I gather from the last response of Ben that my guess was right and HDR is the culprit.
    Last edited by John Houghton; 08-22-2011 at 03:45 AM.

The HDR program seems to be changing the ratio though only by a pixel or so and that's causing the vortex. I tried filling in the pixel gap with black at the bottom of the frame but it doesn't seem to help though I don't quite understand why.

OK, here is an HDR'd version using the same HDR software but doing the HDR at the single image stage rather than with the stitched file. Hey presto it's fine!

www.studio-beni.net/New2.html

Thanks again for all the expertise and most of all for the patience especially as I was barking up the wrong tree for 95% of the time! I really appreciate your help!
+ Reply to Thread