Smearing top of 360 pano's.

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Smearing top of 360 pano's.

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Smearing top of 360 pano's.

Hi,

Using the NNP points from the website I'm getting a weird smearing at the top of files shot with the Sigma 8mm f3.5 fisheye. This looks like a circle with spikes radiating from it in a virtual tour. I can't seem to get rid of it. I get this with my 16-35L as well though less.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by Ben Rubinstein; 06-04-2011 at 01:28 PM.

The first pano here is a good example:

http://www.studio-beni.net/Town.html

Have a look at the zenith. This was shot with 4 shots at 0 degrees then one zenith shot but it's the same with 3 shots with/without a zenith shot.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Ben,

I feel you are clearly out of NPP. The camera lens axis is moved around the center point of the rotator. When you move down to the nadir, you clearly see a hacksaw cutting to the right. This means you have to move the camera body to the right till you get a round tripod head.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HacksawPicture of Rotator.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	193

http://www.easypano.com/forum/displa...1&TopicID=4162

http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm

Besides following John's comment, I would recommend to try these links to recheck your NPP for lower and upper rail setting. Fortunately there sometimes are faults in the lower and upper rail settings in the Database. What camera do you use?

Regards,
    Heinz

BTW: in this tripod postion to the sun you get shadows of 3 legs. When you turn it around a little bit, you could match the shadow of two legs to one, which gives less work to get rid of the shadow.
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 06-04-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Hi Ben,

I feel you are clearly out of NPP. The camera lens axis is moved around the center point of the rotator. When you move down to the nadir, you clearly see a hacksaw cutting to the right. This means you have to move the camera body to the right till you get a round tripod head.

Attachment 193

http://www.easypano.com/forum/displa...1&TopicID=4162

http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm

Besides following John's comment, I would recommend to try these links to recheck your NPP for lower and upper rail setting. Fortunately there sometimes are faults in the lower and upper rail settings in the Database. What camera do you use?

Regards,
    Heinz

BTW: in this tripod postion to the sun you get shadows of 3 legs. When you turn it around a little bit, you could match the shadow of two legs to one, which gives less work to get rid of the shadow.
    Hi,

I moved the lower rail to the right by a full 1.5cm at 1mm intervals, no difference. :(

This is a blending problem. Most blenders don't support blending the zenith and nadir areas. PTGui's own blender usually gives good results at the zenith but Smartblend tends to give results as in your example. Solutions:

1. Take a zenith shot and make sure it gets used by contriving an actual hole at the zenith left by the other images.
    2. Do two stitches if necessary - one with PTGui's blender and one with Smartblend and merge the two.
    3. Rotate the panorama down by 90 degrees to bring the zenith (and nadir) to pitch=0 where they will get properly blended. Then remap the output image back to its normal orientation.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Houghton View Post
    This is a blending problem. Most blenders don't support blending the zenith and nadir areas. PTGui's own blender usually gives good results at the zenith but Smartblend tends to give results as in your example. Solutions:

1. Take a zenith shot and make sure it gets used by contriving an actual hole at the zenith left by the other images.
    2. Do two stitches if necessary - one with PTGui's blender and one with Smartblend and merge the two.
    3. Rotate the panorama down by 90 degrees to bring the zenith (and nadir) to pitch=0 where they will get properly blended. Then remap the output image back to its normal orientation.

John
    I don't have the smartblend plugin, just been using the regular PTGUI one though I get exactly the same results with APP Giga if that helps.

I just tried your method, I cut the 3 regular (0 degrees) pano's so that the program was forced to use the zenith, etc shot, no luck, still got the smearing.

EDIT Just downloaded Smartblend, looks exactly the same.
    Last edited by Ben Rubinstein; 08-20-2011 at 01:52 PM.

OK, just out of interest I tried doing the pano with a simple ball head rotating around the base, i.e. without the nodal slides. The nodal errors were awful but aside from that, the smearing was exactly the same!

Something very weird going on...
    Users Country Flag

Hi Ben,

Can you send the set of pics?

Heinz
+ Reply to Thread