Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New member on the forum

Share/Bookmark
  1. New member on the forum

Users Country Flag

Hi,

just had a look to the panos of Carroll. I feel we should share this. The two first panos renting a NN pano head.

With a lot of infos on how she did it as well.

http://carrollmorganphoto.com/

Welcome Carroll to the forum. And I just added your link cause I felt forum members should get to know about your work.

Regards,
    Heinz

Good idea Heinz, panos are really nice, I like it :)

Vincèn

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com

Heinz, that is very kind of you, and thank you and the forum for all the help I have already received. Heinz, would you share a link of your work? I've been following your comments on a couple of forums, so I am interested in what you like to shoot.

I must say that I stumbled in to panos rather by accident. Now that I have done a few I realize I know nothing about it, but I have never been afraid to try something new! This Thursday I will be shooting at least one pano in a long narrow commercial office with a couple of models. It could be pretty interesting or it could be a disaster; hoping for the former!

Thanks again for your kindness.

(BTW, I'm a guy.) Here is a link to my corporate event/commercial photography: http://buckheadon-site.com/
    http://buckheadon-site.com/

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Hi,

just had a look to the panos of Carroll. I feel we should share this. The two first panos renting a NN pano head.

Welcome Carroll to the forum. And I just added your link cause I felt forum members should get to know about your work.

Regards,
    Heinz
    Users Country Flag

Or how he did it.

Welcome, Carroll. :)

Judy
    Users Country Flag

uuppsss sorry.

Thx Judy....

Heinz

Thanks very much, Heinz. I posted something yesterday, but as it has not appeared yet I must have done something wrong.

I really appreciate the help on this board already (especially from you, Heinz).

I kind of stumbled on panos and find that I love shooting something different than anyone has ever seen before. That was the case with the 2 Buckhead shots on my blog. The property manager said that in 12 years no photographer has ever asked for permission to shoot form his roof! I find that astounding. The same is true for the Asheville shot. I spent about an hour calling the local government and then speaking with the contractor (since the building was undergoing modifications) and they permitted me access to shoot an image that noone had ever seen before. It wasn't a great shot because there were no events going on in the City County Plaza at the base of the courthouse.

I believe I just secured access to an Atlanta building that should provide an incredible pano. All just by asking and providing insurance certs and a waiver. I'm looking forward to seeing where this little pano effort ends up...it sure is fun to do!

Tomorrow I will try my first commercial interior pano for a staffing company. The shot is of a long narrow entry and work space. I've never been afraid to try things, so I'm excited to see how this shot works out (including some people as models). I may come back asking for help from this forum to bail me out from a total screw up...hope it's not a TOTAL screw up.

I do have some questions regarding stitching and software. Where should I ask those types of questions?

Thanks again for the warm welcome and assistance!

Carroll Morgan
    Buckhead On-site Photography

Hi,

Regards,
    Heinz

Here are the results of last night's interior panorama shoot. I'm still finalizing my "technical" stuff, but the images are viewable here: http://carrollmorganphoto.com/2011/0...ior-panoramas/

I'm interested in your comments and suggestions. BTW, I spoke with Bill and hope to have a preproduction Ultimate M1-L soon. I'm proud to be a member of the Nodal Ninja family, and I will be sporting a NN logo on my blog (when I figure out how to add it!).

Thanks Heinz and all.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Carroll,

Thx for your kind words, it is a pleasure for me.

You really know how to do your work. What I specially like is the way you approach the theme. And the result is what we see: a very good color and white balanced scene with a lot of different light sources. I like the windows, the balance of the different light sources compared to daylight. There is only one thing I'd like to mention in the second shot: the room besides/behind the green wall with the 'Logo': for me personally this is the point my eyes are forced to look to in the beginning. I feel because it is so light compare to the green "darker wall". On the second view I feel this area is a little bit 'overexposed'. Nothing else.

The first time I get to know about the CLB lens. http://cbllensusa.com/products.htm Seems to be similar to Expo Disc? Or do you prefer this one to Expo disc? Good idea to think about WB Bracketing with these light conditions. Never tried it. What is your workflow in this case?

Anyway, nice to have you as a new forum member.

Once again pleasure,
    Heinz

BTW next time you open up the forum have a look to the top let side: notifications will be Red, cause I have send you an IM.

Heinz,

I do not see your notification of IM. Also, my replies, though I write them promptly, are delayed for moderator's approval. I emailed NN and requested that they approve my above 2, and Derek was kind enough to do so. I assume this one will hang until approved.

I agree on both your points. I shot in RAW and will tweak further prior to delivery of final images. If my exposures were longer I could (would!) have layered my exposures by multi-exposing or turned off the fluorescents during the exposure. The process: cover the lens, open the shutter with all lights off (must shoot at night), turn on fluorescents, uncover lens for correct time, cover lens, turn off fluorescents, turn on incancesdents, uncover lens for proper amount of time, etc. You see the difficulty with panos, permutations and combinations come in to play! I used the WB bracketing and HDR for the first 3 images in this shoot.

Re: CBL. I never used Expo Disc, because it is a pain to use for someone who uses lens hoods. You put CBL in the scene (like a color card), and center a focus spot on it and do your manual exposure. CBL is good, but stupid expensive, partially because of their fancy packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by carrollmorgan View Post
    Heinz,
    I do not see your notification of IM. Also, my replies, though I write them promptly, are delayed for moderator's approval. I emailed NN and requested that they approve my above 2, and Derek was kind enough to do so. I assume this one will hang until approved..
    Hi Carroll - welcome to the forum and pleasure speaking with you over the phone. On the off occasion some things get held up for moderation approval. We had to tighten security a bit in the forum to tackle the spam attacks so my apologies for the inconvenience and we appreciate your patience.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by carrollmorgan View Post
    I do have some questions regarding stitching and software. Where should I ask those types of questions?
    Some top programs are PTGui, Pano2VR and Autopano.
    see: http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/show...ching-software

Also for other than product support questions www.panoguide.com is excellent resource with large member base.

Bill
    Users Country Flag

Carroll,

concerning expose discs on a fisheye lens et al with attached lens hood you are right. But till now I did not know about CBL.

When I have a look to your examples, I feel a bit like: why do you ask. We can learn from your work which teaches us a lot.

Anyway, to cut IM short, I will send another IM to let you know how to contact directly. Would be a pleasure for me to discuss themes.

Kind regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 04-23-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Heinz,

I know about commercial photography (after doing it for 30 years!), but, oh so little about panorama. That is why I ask. You must realize that I have only shot 4 gigs with NN gear. I also shot one gig (it's the one that got me going down the pano road) only using a ball head. It is here: http://carrollmorganphoto.com/2011/0...nset-panorama/

I want to become excellent at doing this kind of work, and I KNOW I have a long way to go. If Photoshop did a poor job of stitching I would be lost. I need better knowledge of the software and other options. I'm not ready to spend money for PTGui yet. Neither am I sure that is the best way for me to go. I like easy interfaces. ;)

I am happy to share anything I know. That is why I put the "technical" stuff on my blog. I have learned so much from the net, and I have never been concerned about sharing with others. If I can help with any questions I am happy to do so. Let's help each other out!
    Users Country Flag

Carroll,

I believe most of us "got you" looking to your panos. With these few ones you are already far beyond normal users.

Anyway, I believe this forum will try it's best to fill your gaps.

Besides the best support of NN I ever got to know, we like to share experience and help each other out. Thx for your inputs.

Regards,
    Heinz

hindenhaag@mac.com

Heinz,

I thought about your comment "...you are already far beyond normal users". I don't know of many other pano photographers' work so I have no context with which to compare mine, and I try not to compare myself with anyone else. I'm only trying to create excellent images.

I would like to encourage those on this forum (including ME!) to get outside our comfort level. Shoot something different. Take a chance. Strive to make each shot better than the last.

If my first few shots have been successful I attribute most of it to other than photography skill. Like real estate, to me the most important consideration for a pano is choosing the location. I believe it may contribute to more than 50% of the success of the shot, and it is closely tied to a photographer's "vision". That is, you know what will look good in an image so you choose a location that is oriented properly for to allow proper lighting by the sun(set), high enough elevation to give dimension to the image, etc.. I use Google Earth, and I am scouting locations all the time now. I'm in a city, so in addition to great views I'm looking for unobstructed views. No light poles, telephone lines, etc.

Of course, it does no good to find a great view (an elevated building, for example) if you can't gain access to it. I am currently negotiating with 2 corporations for what should be excellent Atlanta panos. Once I find a location I try to determine who owns the building. For 1 of the location I found the building, it had a college's name on it. I called the college, explained my wishes and was referred to the property manager, but they didn't have his contact info. They did refer me to the building's security desk. I called and they provided the name of the organization and a phone number. I called and asked for the name and email address of the building's property manager. We have been emailing back and forth. He asked for a waiver and insurance certificate; I complied. He was on vacation last week, so I patiently wait for his return. Meanwhile I keep looking and building a backlog of locations. The way I look at it, if I don't drop in/call to inquire they will never grant me access. If they say "no" I move on to the next location no worse off.

Locations are important, but the right weather is huge. I always let my contacts know that I am interested in sunset/sunrise shots on clear days (after a cold front passes). I watch the weather and try to give them a 2 day lead time so they can get with security, approve my paperwork and get me access. Unfortunately, we are entering into the high humidity time of the year in Atlanta, which means I am unsure if I will get any decent cityscapes again until autumn. But by then I hope to/should have a list of great locations.

Finally comes equipment and photography skill. I know I will likely shoot 4 second exposures or longer. This means I need stability (tripod (Gitzo), head (soon a NN Ultimate M1-L), cable release, weight it all down, block the rig with my body, etc.). I shoot tethered to my laptop as it helps determine good exposure, whether I have any camera shake, or any focus issues.

Once all the above is in order and I'm on the roof of the location then I can look at the vista and start making decisions. Is the sun setting behind a building so I can get away with shooting before sunset? How fast are the cars traveling? Do I need a 2" or 4" exposure to get the streaks the right length. When is the optimum time to shoot when the street lights, building lights, sky, cars, etc. all look "right" (totally subjective, but the computer helps)?

When I finish I run home and am awed by the end result. I just added more ram to my Windows 7 64-bit desktop, so the next shoot should be faster. Can't wait!

Carroll
+ Reply to Thread