Nadir adapter on NN3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nadir adapter on NN3

Share/Bookmark
  1. Nadir adapter on NN3

Users Country Flag

Iíve just purchased the nadir adapter and have been testing it with my hardware, the NN3, supplied camera mounting plate, Nikon D5000 and Samyang 8mm.

So far I havenít been able to cover the nadir in a single shot. The adapter doesnít offset the camera far enough to avoid the tripod legs in the down view.

http://www.judyarndt.ca/nn3/nadir_adapter_nn3.jpg

Iíve been moving the nadir adapter to the end of the NN3 lower rail when taking the outward-swiveled shot.

Iíve tried to reduce the spread of the tripod legs but this leaves the whole rig is too unstable. The legs are now in the narrowest lock position for this tripod.

I can take two shots from the nadir adapter by moving it to the opposite side of the nadir. However, this needs more floor space, is more prone to error, takes more time to shoot and more time to process.

For most floors, I could just patch over the spot but it would be nice to be able to have a no-fuss one-step nadir.

Is anyone else using a similar setup? Any suggestions?

Judy
    Users Country Flag

you can move the tripod further away when using the nadir adapter (outward-swiveled shot), then use view-point correction in ptgui to stitch the nadir shots.
    instead of reducing the spread of legs, you can try raising the center column a bit.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Nick, thanks for the suggestions. I tried the higher center column. It helped a bit, but I had some new errors because the tripod legs were too close together. With a higher column, the whole setup is a little more prone to tilting off level.

As for taking an angled shot and using viewpoint correction, I can do that without a nadir adapter. I bought the nadir adapter to avoid having to use that option.

It looks to me like the nadir adapter would work better on the NN5 and larger brackets where there is more horizontal distance between the tripod center and lens. On my NN3 rig, itís a bit too tight a fit.

Heinz, I wasnít able to view or download your TIFF file. If youíd post a JPEG, it could be viewed in a browser.

Judy
    Users Country Flag

Judy,

Heinz is not suggesting taking an angled shot. Just slide the tripod over and take your patch shot. No need to bring your tripod legs in. You are aware that turning on viewpoint correction is as simple as placing one check mark in one box. I turn it on for all my panoramas no matter how the nadir patch shot was taken. Not having your setup I cannot comment on the triod leg clearance.

Dennis
    Users Country Flag

Judy,

DennisS already explained it. Just take the two nadir shots. In PTGuiPro >advanced, >optimizer, >advanced, >click viewpoint.

http://homepage.mac.com/hindenhaag/f...NNadaptor1.jpg Can you open it? Sorry but my attachment map on NN is full and I can not delete them. Does not work on my mac. Anybody with the same problem?

Actually this is an example of NN5. I just left my tripod legs as they are. The only thing that is important, is that the corner of the adapter of N2 is free from the tip of the third leg from N1. And that there is room between the two legs to leg number 3.

I will try to check it on NN3 MKII tomorrow.

Heinz
    Users Country Flag

Heinz, I'm able to see your JPEG image. Thanks for that.

Okay, Iím not sure Iím understanding you guys ó or maybe youíre not understanding me.

Hereís what I get when I take both shots pointing straight down.

http://www.judyarndt.ca/nn3/nadir_adapter_tiles.jpg

For the adapter shot, I slide the NN adapter to the end of the NN3 lower rail, pivot the adapter 180˚, lock it and shoot straight down.

Iím trying to avoid having to patch the small overlap at the tip of the tripod leg.

Judy
    Users Country Flag

You should not need to adjust your NN. That is the point of the adapter. Take your Nadir, rotate, slide over far enough so you have a clear shot, take the patch, rotate back and you are ready for the next panorama. In your case your camera will not be in the same place horizontally for the patch shot as it was for the Nadir shot. It will, however, be at the same height.

Another possibility is to put a spacer between the upper rail and your camera. This will increase the overhang when you swing the camera out.

Nick, Bill, comments?
    Users Country Flag

Dennis and Heinz,

I finally figured out that you’re telling me I should move the nadir adapter shot back further, even if it's no longer directly over the main pano’s center point.

I tried that this evening and got only minor stitching errors in the floor tiles.

Thanks for your patience.

Judy
    Users Country Flag

Judy,

You have to move the tripod further sideways till you are clear between the corner of nadir adapter and the tip of the third leg. Try to set up a template by manually adding cp. In theses cases I first stitch the shots around, then I add then I add the Z and the Nadir shots one by one. Once the stitch is very good, save it as a template. This will help you in the future.

You are right, we leave old pano's center point. This is why we click viewpoint. Like DennisS I always use it for Z and N pics.

Another thing you could try in is, to move the third leg a little bit towards the tripod center by moving and shortening it. This would open up the space you need.

Every one of us had to make experiences like this. Depends on LRS and the tripod you use. You often have to move beyond 2x Pivot Distance = Distance between center of rotator and turning point of nadir adapter. And then click the viewpoint box in PTGui Pro. What you may try as well is to change Blend Priority from 100% may be down to 20%. This "crops" down to the center of the picture and would not use the outside of the picture circle.

I will try to test it today with NN3.

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 04-18-2011 at 11:20 PM.
    Users Country Flag

Judy.

just tried the nadir shots with NN3 MKII D7000 Samyang 8mm/f3.5. LRS is 50. Without moving the vertical rail to the end, I took the second shot by moving my tripod 2x Pivot distance = 2x 10,4 cm and got clearance between corner adapter to tip of third leg. It is not much room. But masking has to be done with a very small pencil nearly the size of the end of the tripod leg.

Heinz
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    Another possibility is to put a spacer between the upper rail and your camera. This will increase the overhang when you swing the camera out.
    Hi Dennis,
    I looked at the thickness of the NN Quick Release. At 25cm thick, itís 20 cm thicker than my current camera 5mm thick camera mounting plates. However moving the vertical rail outwards 19 cm would put me at the end of the NN3 lower rail, so thereís not enough room. A spacer would also add more weight, which Iíd like to avoid.

Judy
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Another thing you could try in is, to move the third leg a little bit towards the tripod center by moving and shortening it. This would open up the space you need.
    Hi Heinz,
    Thanks for your suggestion to tuck in one of the tripod legs. That works the best of any the strategies Iíve tried.

While shooting the main panoramas, two tripod legs are fully extended. One is tucked in about 10 cm (4 in.) and shortened to keep the tripod level.

http://www.judyarndt.ca/nn3/nadir_adapter_leg_tuck.jpg

The leg can be extended again for stability while moving to and taking the nadir-adapter shot.

This gives me the space I need to take the down shot directly over the main panoís nadir.

Thanks for the help, everyone. It's much appreciated.

Judy

Hello everyone.. My name is Destiny and I am really confused now... I thought it was me doing silly things for why it was not working, but now I realise its not as easy as I thought it would be.

Sorry, what does this mean "You are aware that turning on viewpoint correction is as simple as placing one check mark in one box."

I love this little nadir adaptor thing, its really cute and well made but I am still working out how it works.. HELP!

D...
    Users Country Flag

PTGui has an option for the Nadir patch shot. It is called "viewpoint correction". It is designed for patch shots that are taken at an angle to the ground. There is some different warping logic that kicks in. All you need to do to enable this option is to place one checkmark in one little box on the optimizer tab next to the nadir patch shot. I always turn it on for all panoramas.

oh.. thank you for that... I have PTGui Pro but I never used it.. Soon after I bought it I bought kolor software ptp and apg, so I have been sidetracked in only using that.. Thats really interesting, I will most certainly give it a go...

D....

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    PTGui has an option for the Nadir patch shot. It is called "viewpoint correction". It is designed for patch shots that are taken at an angle to the ground. There is some different warping logic that kicks in. All you need to do to enable this option is to place one checkmark in one little box on the optimizer tab next to the nadir patch shot. I always turn it on for all panoramas.