Noob seeks guidance: 4" exposures on top of windy buildings. Will Ultimate Modular handle D3s/70-200?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noob seeks guidance: 4" exposures on top of windy buildings. Will Ultimate Modular handle D3s/70-200?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Noob seeks guidance: 4" exposures on top of windy buildings. Will Ultimate Modular handle D3s/70-200?

Hi all,

First post here and have only shot a few cityscape panos, but I'm hooked. It seems I like sunset shots from pretty extreme locations. I rented a NN5 from BorrowLenses but it came in with some pieces missing, so I had to rig it to work. I'm not sure I got a true evaluation of its stability. The shots turned out well (http://carrollmorganphoto.com/category/skylines/) but I was very concerned about the wind shake in spite of weighting down the tripod and blocking the camera with my body.

It seems like the Ultimate M1-L might be more solid, and I like the Arca Swiss mounting. I understand there is another Ultimate in the works...is that even sturdier?

I have a shoot this week, and rather than rent again I would rather purchase. I shoot Nikon D3s with 14-24 and 70-200. Is it possible to purchase something that will work by Thursday? Obviously, I need input on what to buy.

Thanks!

Carroll Morgan
    Atlanta, GA
    (404)556-6821
    http://carrollmorganphoto.com (blog)
    http://buckheadon-site.com
    Users Country Flag

yes, M1L is more stable than NN5. The M2 will have same stability as M1 as the rails are the same.
    we have more pre-production units ready. But it is not available by Thursday.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Carroll and welcome to the forum,

First of all, great shots.

The best way to solve your problem would be to call the office:

Nodal Ninja®, 3454 N. San Marcos Pl. Ste 8, Chandler, Arizona, 85225 USA
    Customer Service ph: 480-659-9899 / fax: 480-452-0452 Hours: M-T-TH-F 7am-11am
    ©2011 Nodal Ninja®

Try to talk to Bill about your problem. May be they have NN5 RD16 available. Do not get an NN5L because of the weight of your big boys and I like the "Click stop" of the NN5 upper rotator. Otherwise you could ask for a NN4, slightly modifications in upper rotator - 7.5° stops - and rails are a bit shorter. As you already know Upper rail set is 122 for 14-24 @ zoom 14. This should work with the short side of the CP-2 baseplate mounted to the back f the camera. I hope I can test it this evening when UPS is in time.

You can later add on the M1- series by buying one without rotator. You can fix it to the RD16 later on. I am sure you can sell NN5 without rotator easily.

You are right, in extreme wind exposed places like yours on the elevens floor, the system moves a little bit. Because of this I now use a Feisol tripod CT-3372LV.

http://www.feisol.de/neu-feisol-elit...906e5dtjfqps53

NN5 with EZ-Leveller II mounted directly on the plate, not on the center column. This is the most stable version I found with different tripods. You can add extra weight below the plate to a hook.

For 70-200 you need a special set up with upper rail. Send IM if you are interested and I will explain it to you. For use with converter you need a M1-L.

BTW: Most of us use PTGuiPro for stitching, you can download a trial version: www.PTGui.com. Till now no problem with windy conditions.

My D3 14-24 70-200 work fine on NN5.

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 04-18-2011 at 12:37 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Carroll,

Mistake in my last post: URS for 14-24 @zoom 14 is 126

Just tested D3 with 14-24 on NN4: It is ok with URS 126.

To get clearance for +90º Zenith shot, you have to add the NN Nadir Adapter. Otherwise the camera body will stop at the side of the lower rail.

Just did a quick test set up to let you know that NN4 RD16 would be an alternative to NN5 RD16.

Regards,
    Heinz

Heinz,

Thank you for your effort in guiding this noob in the fine art of panos! Sorry I didn't reply sooner but was out on a shoot. So, is NN4 stronger than NN5? If not, I will go with the M1 or M2.

I just rented another NN5 for my shoot and will order a new unit (after I call for assistance...thanks for the contact info!). Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Hi Carroll,

Mistake in my last post: URS for 14-24 @zoom 14 is 126

Just tested D3 with 14-24 on NN4: It is ok with URS 126.

To get clearance for +90º Zenith shot, you have to add the NN Nadir Adapter. Otherwise the camera body will stop at the side of the lower rail.

Just did a quick test set up to let you know that NN4 RD16 would be an alternative to NN5 RD16.

Regards,
    Heinz
    Users Country Flag

Carroll,

NN4 is similar in strength to NN5. For your combi, specially 70-200, you should go for M1-L

Heinz

Thanks, Heinz. I will wait for N1-L.
+ Reply to Thread