Lumix GH2 with 8mm f3.5 fisheye

Thread: Lumix GH2 with 8mm f3.5 fisheye

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Lumix GH2 with 8mm f3.5 fisheye

I plan on ordering the NN4 for my GH2 and 8mm fisheye lens (16mm equiv FF) this weekend. Before I do, I need to know what else I may need.

Do I need to order the camera plate(s) separately?

Is the EZ-Leveler a necessity?

I am considering just ordering the NN4 with the Rotator NN3 MkII knobs kit and use my old QTop quick release which allows for manual 30degree rotations. Have any of you used the NN4 with the QTop?

Or should I stick with the NN4 with RD16?

Many thanks.
    Users Country Flag

If the legs on your tripod slide in and out very easily, you could opt not to purchase the EZ-Leveler and adjust the tripod legs. You do not need to get absolutely perfectly level. Some people swear by leveling devices, others swear at them. It all depends on your personal taste. If you feel you need one, you cannot go wrong purchasing one. It is a one very nice piece of equipment.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Jose and welcome to the forum.

I just checked the e-store, you are right, camera plates are not mentioned to be included. But all my NN panoheads came with the camera plates included, NN3 MKII as well as NN5. And I am sure the CP-2 camera plate is included with NN4 as well.

Leveller question is already answered by DennisS. Works well on my manfrotto 055ProB without one, I use one with my tripods with more sticky legs.

A Nadir Adapter is a must to get quick and easy Nadir shots. Having masked out the tripod in PTGuiPro for example it is a "Nadir on the fly" to stitch it. "Safe" Nadir pics no matter if you need long exposures or use bracketing shots. BTW: it was DennisS to bring up the idea of a nadir adaptor to the forum and thx NN and Fanotec, now we can use it.

I do not understand this: "I am considering just ordering the NN4 with the Rotator NN3 MkII knobs kit and use my old QTop quick release which allows for manual 30degree rotations. Have any of you used the NN4 with the QTop?"

Do you ask for NN4 with standard rotator? Actually, if you can afford it, I would go for NN4 RD16 Rotator. Do you mean a Quick Release System being used on the upper rail to fix the camera?

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 04-16-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Thank you both for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Do you ask for NN4 with standard rotator? Actually, if you can afford it, I would go for NN4 RD16 Rotator. Do you mean a Quick Release System being used on the upper rail to fix the camera?

Regards,
    Heinz
    Several years ago when I was doing panos with a DIY Pano adaptor I used the QTop quick release as the base for the rotations to create multi-row panos. The top plate of the Q-top devise has indentations at 30 degrees which is easily rotated. This setup also allowed me to quickly remove the DIY pano "head" from the tripod.

My desire, in order to save money, is to attached the lower rails of the NN4 with the knobs to the top plate of the Q-top device and then attach the Q-top to the tripod. And the rotations would be done with the Q-top.

It is more easily explained with pictures.

My only hesitation is stability. The RD16 would provide a more stable platform.

As a proof of concept I may order the NN4 only with Nadir adaptor plus knobs. And if I run into problems, I'll order the RD16 with EZ-Leveler later. I think this may be the best and most interesting approach.