Canon EOS400D and NN3

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canon EOS400D and NN3

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Canon EOS400D and NN3

I'm trying to decide what mount I need.
    I want to take multi-row panos using a Canon EOS400D and will probably be using a Sigma 105mm fixed focal lens. I had hoped to use the NN3.

My problem is that the data for the NN3 gives a measurement of 107mm for the length of the camera from back of camera to tip of lens. The sigma is way beyond this, in fact even the kit 18-55mm lens is beyond this by 20mm or so.

For a multi row pano do I really need to worry about this measurement, I don't need to point the camera directly up or down, so what is the limiting factor, why is this 107mm measurement so small?
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    I'm trying to decide what mount I need.
    I want to take multi-row panos using a Canon EOS400D and will probably be using a Sigma 105mm fixed focal lens. I had hoped to use the NN3.

My problem is that the data for the NN3 gives a measurement of 107mm for the length of the camera from back of camera to tip of lens. The sigma is way beyond this, in fact even the kit 18-55mm lens is beyond this by 20mm or so.

For a multi row pano do I really need to worry about this measurement, I don't need to point the camera directly up or down, so what is the limiting factor, why is this 107mm measurement so small?
    you need to place the entrance pupil (EP) of lens at the rotation axes. EP can be anywhere near the lens surface to back of sensor plane. the rails must be long enough in order to do so. Without testing the lens, we don't know how long the rail must be.
    if you want to use Sigma 105mm (very long when extended), you'd better get the NN5/5L while they are in stock. They are never as cheap before.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Hi Ashley,

You can't use the NN3 with the 400D and the Sigma 105mm. The upper arm of the NN3 won't support the combined weight and offset distance required.

You need either the NN5 as Nick says or one of the new NN4's that we've just got in stock.

Badders
    Users Country Flag

Hi Ashley and welcome to the forum,

You already got all important infos till now. The difference NN5/NN4 belongs to the upper rotator: NN5 can be set to 2.5° pitch difference: 2,5°, 5°, 7,5°. NN4 is set to 7,5°xx pitch set. I believe NN4 will answer your needs.

Think about adding a Nadir Adaptor - to take the nadirs "On The Go" and this will pay back soon masking out the tripod in PTGuiPro for example -, or may be an EZ-Leveller II depending on the legs of your tripod. Falling out easily opening the stops similar my old Manfrotto 055ProB, you can do without. With a bit more sticky legs on Manfrotto carbon legs or "air protected legs" on Feisol tripods, I use the Ez-Leveller II.

The extra money will pay back soon.

Andrew Badders is one of the three top NN distributors in EU being in "state of art of the moment". I am a normal user of NN Products since years. So my interest as yours is to get pure basic infos. I do not recommend anything else besides my own decision and experience having succeeded in my goal: to be optimally equipped to be ready for the moment. With my own experience with resellers in EU.

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 04-17-2011 at 02:35 AM.
+ Reply to Thread