New NEX-5 Bundles
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: New NEX-5 Bundles

Share/Bookmark
  1. New NEX-5 Bundles

    #1

    We are laying the ground work and in the process of redoing many of our all-in-one bundled solutions.
    One of our newest bundles is one centered around the new Sony NEX-5 with APS-C size HD image sensor. Quickly enter the immersive world of panorama photography with this light-weight, easy to use configuration that is a perfect addition to any photo enthusiast's bag! In as little as 4 shots using an 8mm lens it is possible to catch a full cylindrical panorama with extremely wide field of view. And Sony's new "Auto HDR" option you'll pull out a broader range of lights and darks.

    Sample 360x180 degree panorama taken with this bundle doing 4 around with slight tilt down and 1 shot up.
    (5mb file - allow a few moments to load)
    >>>click here for panorama!<<<

    Minor post processing applied before producing panorama. Excuse our messy backyard - we're in the middle of spring cleanup.




    This is a great super lightweight setup and when you're not shooting panoramas use the kit lens and take some fantastic photography.
    Bundle pricing begins at $1,309.75 (only 3 available but more cameras due in soon).
    We're also building configurations with Nikkor 10.5mm and Sigma 8mm lenses.

    To visit store listing click here

    Nodal Ninja
  2. #2
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Sep 2009
    Location: Los Angeles, CA
    Posts: 361

    Bill

    The NEX-5 has a 23.4 x 15.6 mm Exmor APS HD CMOS Sensor. A 4/3rds sensor is only 17.3 x 13.0 mm. The bigger sensor is just one of the reasons the pictures come out looking so gosh darn good.

    It looks like you are using a lens adapter. Does the adapter have an f stop scale on it? With my rig, I had to take a bunch of test shots in order to find the optimum f stop, as my adapter did not have an f stop scale.

    The best focus setting (for me) when using a Sigma lens on this camera is about .6m off from my D300's 1m. Have you done tests to find the best focus setting?

    I think it is funny how you present a kit just after I manually assembled mine. Poor timing on my part.

    Dennis
  3. #3

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    Bill
    The NEX-5 has a 23.4 x 15.6 mm Exmor APS HD CMOS Sensor. A 4/3rds sensor is only 17.3 x 13.0 mm. The bigger sensor is just one of the reasons the pictures come out looking so gosh darn good.
    It looks like you are using a lens adapter. Does the adapter have an f stop scale on it? With my rig, I had to take a bunch of test shots in order to find the optimum f stop, as my adapter did not have an f stop scale.
    The best focus setting (for me) when using a Sigma lens on this camera is about .6m off from my D300's 1m. Have you done tests to find the best focus setting?
    I think it is funny how you present a kit just after I manually assembled mine. Poor timing on my part.
    Dennis
    Hey Dennis,
    I tweaked the listing on sensor - my bad (hate that expression but find myself using it more often).

    No stop markings on the adapter from Cowboy Studio (retail $27). After running dozens of tests and doing comparison shots on every f stop to focus variable "for me" f/11 focused at 3ft on the Rokinon produced the best results. I'm the first to admit I am not has affluent as others when it comes to testing as some will tear down tests pixel by pixel which is good I suppose but I just don't have the time.

    We get asked frequently for lightweight configurations and suggestions on cameras and tripods. We've tried the P5100/6000 Ipix converter lens solution but results were not impressive. After seeing a bit of buzz going around on this camera (prior to your kitchen pano which I was also surprised at the results from such high ISO) I had to run it through it's paces. Needless to say personally I find the results very acceptable. So for us it made sense to offer our customers these bundles. We pay full retail price on most items ourselves but able but knock off a few bucks from profit we make on R1. You can test the pricing yourself and see what I mean.

    We will stay abreast, as best possible, of new stuff entering the market and if we see something that may fill a need to our customers we'll try to incorporate it into our bundles.

    Bill
  4. #4
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Sep 2009
    Location: Los Angeles, CA
    Posts: 361

    Bill,

    I am also very impressed with the quality coming out of the NEX-5. The kitched pano was a very "quck and dirty" pano taken with very little post processing just to see what the worst case scenario would look like. ISO 12800 produces acceptable results when there is just not enough light and you "have to get the shot". After I process about 20 to 30 more panoramas (at a more resonable ISO), I should have a good handle on the settings and workflow.

    Nice to see you offer a bundle. I wish it was around when I went to Europe back in 2009.

    Can you shoot 4 around with this rig and is a Zenith shot requred?

    Dennis
  5. #5

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    Can you shoot 4 around with this rig and is a Zenith shot requred?
    Dennis
    The sample pano was shot doing 4 around (-7.5 tilt) plus one up. You do need to play with PTGui settings a bit to get it right. Once setup the workflow is fast.

    Bill
  6. #6

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    The sample pano was shot doing 4 around (-7.5 tilt) plus one up. You do need to play with PTGui settings a bit to get it right. Once setup the workflow is fast.

    Bill
    I wonder -- did you try rotating the camera so that the diagonal is vertical? I wonder what that would look like?
  7. #7

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    I wonder -- did you try rotating the camera so that the diagonal is vertical? I wonder what that would look like?
    No haven't tried the diagonal since portrait mode worked fine.
    Bill

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •