Starting from scratch - what to buy?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting from scratch - what to buy?

Share/Bookmark
  1. Starting from scratch - what to buy?

Hello all,

I have been shooting panos for about a year and the results have been good, but I am always looking to better my processes and have heard a lot about NN. I am considering buying and wanted some thoughts from and your experience for what is best for me. Here is my criteria:

* I currently shoot with a Canon 7D, primarily with an 8mm Samyang fisheye lens. I have a Manfrotto tripod that a buddy of mine let me borrowed. I'm not even sure what model it is, but its heavy enough to be used with a video camera

* I am looking to add the capability of shooting with photography poles in conjunction with a tripod

* I am not looking for the cheapest solution, I am looking for the best that will make post-production as easy as possible.

What kind of NN do I need? Leveler? Anything else? I saw a post on tripods already in this forum and know fanotec does not sell them, but am thinking I need another one if anyone has any further thoughts.

I greatly appreciate anyone sharing your ideas. Thanks.
    Users Country Flag

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Not an easy question, cause there are a lot possibilities in the whole NN system.

Let me try to cut it short. 7D with 820g without battery is on the heavier site of camera bodies. If you use heavier lenses in the future, NN3 MKII won't stand it. My recommendation: a irregular NN5/RD16 or the new M1 system. Right now I would go for a NN5 RD16, the rotator is compatible to the new Modular system if you want to change later on because of big boy lenses. You can buy it without rotator.

If you go for NN5 I would add a Ez-LevellerII and the NN Nadir Adaptor.

Now Pole Panos: Get an R1/R10 with RD4 Rotator. Take it apart, use the top of R1/R10 on top of Pole with Quick Mount Mini System, set the pole on top of RD4 with NN Arca style plate or System fixed below the RD4 Rotator on top of a Tripod/Monopod. Pros: Quick release on top of pole with complete lens ring R1 camera mounted system, very easy when your camera comes down by closing the pole segments. Not so easy to off the lens ring with camera from the R1 clamp. Specially on a monopod. Plus using the pole on top of a monopod or tripod above your head in a height you can safely reach with your arms.

If you like to use the new poles with the new footplate and one of the new rotator specially developed for safe use ( Dust ) close to the ground, you should get the footplate, a new "low bottom rotator" and the R1/R10 top without rotator with the pole in between.

My conclusion: NN5 RD16, Ez-LevellerII, Nadir Adaptor, for pole R1/R10 with RD4 Rotator, Quick Mount Mini System, Arca style Quick Release System ( depends on your tripod ).

Tripod depends on your decision. If you like to load heavy equipment on top of the pole, to prevent breaking of pole you need a tripod being able to use the new tripod adaptor. I have just seen pics. It will be out soon. This will ask a center column on the tripod with a screw mount at the lower end of the column: Manfrotto 055ProB, some Gitzos, but I have to get one to give more serious advice.

So now you see why this is one of the not so easy to answer questions. This is my personal response to your question, I own what I am talking about and have tested this equipment to be able to give basic comments. I know some people level without EZ-Leveller II, but specially using NN Nadir Adaptor for me this is a must.

Knowing about your panohead/Pole decisions, I can give further recommends of tripods I use for my different solutions.

Feel free to ask.

Life is not easy, depends on your own decisions and preferences. But living in US, you are close to the center. Chat, mail, or call "US NN headquarter" to check out the different solutions and possibilities to test the equipment. Check the Home page for connections.

A lot of ways to reach Rome.

Cheers,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 03-24-2011 at 11:53 AM.
    Users Country Flag

we will be announcing a new affordable model soon. :-)

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    we will be announcing a new affordable model soon. :-)

Nick
    Tomorrow actually - if you have not opted in for emails in the forum, or newsletter from our e-store, you should do so now for very first notice.
    AOL users take note: You may not receive newsletter due to AOL restrictions - some members have reported our newsletter as spam and as a result we've been blacklisted from sending email to most AOL users.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Bill and Nick,

That's a good start into spring. Looking forward to see it.

And thx for going on and on to get things up to date.

Cheers,
    Heinz

Henz - Wow, thanks for all of the great information! As far as the NN5 vs new Modular, you reference compatibility going forward if I buy a "big boy lens." Are you referring to using a longer lens for a gigapixel application or something similar? If I was going to start doing some gigapixels, would you recommend going ahead with the new Mod system? Also, as far as pole selection, I have read where some of the poles can extend to 20-30 feet. Ideally, I would like to get that high with the poles securely mounted to a stable tripod. My application for this would be something like panos of a golf course where you can get somewhat of a bird's eye view instead of just ground level. Is this possible with the R1/R10 with RD4 Rotator combo you recommended?

Bill/Nick - I am registered to receive notifications but did not get an email with a new product announcement. Can you possibly somehow re-send or private message it to me? Thanks!

- Louis G
    Users Country Flag

Hi Louis,

The newsletter shows the new NN4. Similar to NN5 but has a modified upper rotator with different settings, have a look to the store click on the pics and you will see more explanation.

Big boy lenses are nikkor 70-200, 24-70, 14-24. Check the advice in the explanations on store pages about focal length and max weight. If you want to use a 70-200mm with 2x converter you have to get a M1-L because of upper the rail length. Seacat - look to gallery - uses a shorter canon zoom lens with good results.

Pole: yes that would be a possibility. In any case going so high you have to add the new Pole adapter:

http://store.nodalninja.com/products...d-Adapter.html I did not see it yet, but you have to check your tripod to have the right center column to be screwed to it.

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 03-27-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Just be aware that the images in the newsletter and the store does not show you the real product.
    They all show you what I assume is the starter package even if they are selling a head with the large separate old rotators.

Not a very good way to market a new product. Come on Nick and Bill. For the beginner this is very confusing. Its not a professional way of marketing a new product.

Hans
    Users Country Flag

Hans,

before you send a comment like this, you should step deeper inside the site and click the product. And then you see detailed informations. Not just waiting to search for faults - pic with same rotator, this is changed soon - to try to blame Bill and Nick.
    We already have read that you do not like the new products, not designed close to all your wishes and that you now start to recommend other products. I have read several comments of you on how to design "the Panorama head". I have never seen you trying to produce this one on your own.

This will confuse new members on the forum!

I think ggarmen got the information he was looking for. And looking through the forum, he will realize he get's help from a lot of members and the owners as well very soon if there is a question.

So far, so long, I am out now in this discussion.

Heinz
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ggarmen View Post
    Also, as far as pole selection, I have read where some of the poles can extend to 20-30 feet. Ideally, I would like to get that high with the poles securely mounted to a stable tripod. My application for this would be something like panos of a golf course where you can get somewhat of a bird's eye view instead of just ground level. Is this possible with the R1/R10 with RD4 Rotator combo you recommended?

Bill/Nick - I am registered to receive notifications but did not get an email with a new product announcement. Can you possibly somehow re-send or private message it to me? Thanks!

- Louis G
    Hi Louis,

Here is the newsletter.
    http://www.nodalninja.com/newsletter...ernn42011.html
    Pre-order here
    http://store.nodalninja.com/categories/Nodal-Ninja-4/

Yes, R1/10 with RD4 is great for pole panos.

Nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hansnyberg View Post
    Just be aware that the images in the newsletter and the store does not show you the real product.
    They all show you what I assume is the starter package even if they are selling a head with the large separate old rotators.

Not a very good way to market a new product. Come on Nick and Bill. For the beginner this is very confusing. Its not a professional way of marketing a new product.

Hans
    Hi Hans,

Thanks for your feedback and advice. Marketing and documentation are our weaknesses. We will address them soon.
    Glad you have high expectation on us. Sometimes, I hate it. But that is what drives us forward.
    Understanding and forgiving customers like Heinz are great. Demanding customers like you are good. :-)

Nick

Fanotec

Hi Hans,
    The images in the newsletter "are" actual products. The images in the store of NN4 with "advanced rotators" has been updated. The NN4 looks very similar to NN5.

This is a surprising slap to our company coming from such a prominent individual. You are a wealth of information and generous in the time you spend in assisting others in the community forums. I would not have anticipated you sharing publicly your personal views on how you feel we manage our company.

Most people realize we are still a small company with limited resources and doing the best we can. We could outsource marketing to a "professional" firm but this would come at a high cost which we cannot afford. We're proud of our product line and actually think we do very well in our marketing.

For the beginner this is very confusing.
    Our number one question is "what product is right for me?". In the coming weeks we will be creating more detailed documentation and possibly even some videos. Over the last few months we've also been working on a new product selector (javascript) which will go live here shortly in the forum for further feedback before we post on the website. Our product selector page is the second most visited page on the website and this new tool will help end user (beginner to pro) determine what product is best consideration.

We want the customer to feel comfortable with the products they purchase. We believe the NN4 will be the new hot selling item as it will fit the need for most. If customer buys and decides a product is not right for them they can trade up or trade down or return for full refund (inside 30 days). This has never been a problem and part of our commitment to the public of customer satisfaction.

Bill

ps - we will soon be offering a rental program as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    Hi Hans,
    The images in the newsletter "are" actual products. The images in the store of NN4 with "advanced rotators" has been updated. The NN4 looks very similar to NN5.

This is a surprising slap to our company coming from such a prominent individual. You are a wealth of information and generous in the time you spend in assisting others in the community forums. I would not have anticipated you sharing publicly your personal views on how you feel we manage our company.

Most people realize we are still a small company with limited resources and doing the best we can. We could outsource marketing to a "professional" firm but this would come at a high cost which we cannot afford. We're proud of our product line and actually think we do very well in our marketing.

Our number one question is "what product is right for me?". In the coming weeks we will be creating more detailed documentation and possibly even some videos. Over the last few months we've also been working on a new product selector (javascript) which will go live here shortly in the forum for further feedback before we post on the website. Our product selector page is the second most visited page on the website and this new tool will help end user (beginner to pro) determine what product is best consideration.

We want the customer to feel comfortable with the products they purchase. We believe the NN4 will be the new hot selling item as it will fit the need for most. If customer buys and decides a product is not right for them they can trade up or trade down or return for full refund (inside 30 days). This has never been a problem and part of our commitment to the public of customer satisfaction.

Bill

ps - we will soon be offering a rental program as well.
    Bill, when will the rental program start up?
+ Reply to Thread