NN3 with R1/R10 Lens ring

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN3 with R1/R10 Lens ring

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. NN3 with R1/R10 Lens ring

I have a pre MKII NN3 which I use with a Nikon D7000 and a Nikor 10.5 Fisheye.

The D7000 is heavier than the D80 that I used to use. This additional weight causes the upper arm to sometimes slip downards slightly as the camera is rotated. Is there a way to replace the upper arm of the NN3 with a Quick release clamp and an R1/R10 lens ring/clamp?
    Users Country Flag

You can, but you will still have the weight issue. The camera will still be hanging out in the same position as it was when you had an upper arm. You will not gain anything (weight problem wise) by modfying your NN3 with a ring clamp.

Fanotech does not have a kit for the conversion. You have to cobble together parts from their store and your hardware store to get it done.
    Users Country Flag

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Please have a look to the manual: http://www.nodalninja.com/Manuals/NN3_USER_MANUAL.pdf

Important parts of friction of the upper arm are Number 1, 3, 5. Take this section apart and have a look if you can see some wear in form of "impressions or high glossy wear surfaces". Specially on the knob ring which is in contact to the upper rotator. I would use a 400 grinding paper to make these surfaces a little rough. Specially 1 and 5. Then replace 3 with a new one. You may see a wear out on the outer circle of the old washer caused by the ring surface of the knob. May be you add a second washer as well.

The new knobs (1) on the last model have a special insert to fill the space between the knob and the bolt of the upper rotator to get more friction space. May be you can find a small plastic tube to fill the space to get a bigger area to set pressure to the vertical arm.

I would try this procedure in first case.

I will try my D7000 on my NN3 MKII today and let you know about it. It works with D90: 620g, D7000 690g. Not too much more.

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 03-15-2011 at 11:12 PM.
    Users Country Flag

try cleaning the rubber disk with some alcohol .
    friction reduces with dirt accumulated.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Just tested D7000 10.5 urs 83 on NN3 MKII: It works when you fix it tight without moving down.

Regards,
    Heinz

Quote Originally Posted by m.waite View Post
    I have a pre MKII NN3 which I use with a Nikon D7000 and a Nikor 10.5 Fisheye.
    The D7000 is heavier than the D80 that I used to use. This additional weight causes the upper arm to sometimes slip downards slightly as the camera is rotated.
    Because this is an older NN3 the rubber compression washer may need to be replaced if cleaning doesn't work. Depending on how the Nodal Ninja was stored and used directly affects the live span of the rubber. Here in the dry hot desert heat rubber wears more quickly. If you can't find similar sized rubber washer at your local hardware store you can purchase them in our store - http://store.nodalninja.com/products...on-Washer.html

thx
    Bill

Thank you all for your help. Cleaning the rubber washer stopped the slipping.

Martin Waite

Martin Waite
    Hey Martin - gee 4 of us jumped in to help resolve issue over tiny part including manufacturer, dstributor and 2 valued members inside of 24 hours. The important thing is we got you back up to speed.
    thx
    Bill
    Users Country Flag

Martin Waite
    Hi,

Good to know. Sucess with your new equipment.

Heinz

So, there is no Nodal Ninja adapter for lens ring to NN3? Boy that would be a real nice thing to have.

I'm now the proud owner of a Pentax kx and a Tokina 10-17mm. My first DSLR. I think the NN3 would
    be a real nice pano head for that. The new Ultimate is way out of my price range and it's also way
    overkill for the small DSLR's -- my small DSLR anyway. The Pentax kx is one of the smallest if not
    the smallest DSLR.

The lens ring would be good because then I could rotate the camera to get the 180 diagonal on
    the vertical.

Would it really be that hard to build a lens ring adapter for the NN3?
    Users Country Flag

You can cobble one together with off the shelf parts. This should void the warranty.

You will need an R1 pole adapter, the clamp off the R1 (and the two mounting bolts), a 3/8-24 threaded knob (available from many hardware stores), the friction pad between the upper and vertical arm and one of the unused brass detent disks. I put this together when I was first proving out the ring mount concept for a standard pano head.

1) Remove the upper arm. Save the friction washer.
    2) You may have to drill a 3/8 hole into the vertical arm. I do not remember exactly. It has been so long since I did this. My original NN3 has been scavanged and modified so much that it no longer functions.
    3) Bolt the R10 clamp to the pole adapter using the two screws that held the clamp onto the R10 pano head. The clamp off of the R1 will not work due to othe ridge along the bottom.
    4) Place the extra brass detent disk onto the threaded knob. This acts as a large washer. Insert the knob into the vertical rail. Place the friction pad onto the threaded rod. Screw on the pole adapter. You will most likely have to trim down the threaded section of the knob so it will not hit the clamp when you tighten down the knob.

I never said this was pretty. I do not know how well this adaptation fuctions in day to day shooting. I did it just to test the concept. It was a starting point when I was desgining and manufacturing my own pano head. http://www.dlsphoto.net/NadarBracket/NewDesign/1.JPG I am glad to see that Nick has incorporated this feature into the new M1 series. Even though he did not specifically design the M1 with the ring mount in mind, it works due to the modular nature of the pano head.
+ Reply to Thread