2 simple questions

Thread: 2 simple questions

Share/Bookmark
  1. 2 simple questions

Users Country Flag
    Question

Hello!
    I have never used Ring Mount panoheads like R1 and I have 2 simple questions.

1. What design is better: NN R1 + NN Ring Clamps or NN R1 + nodal rail + FAS double clamp + camera L-plate (or standart plate if 8mm fisheye and fullframe body)?
    As I think,
    - NN Ring Clamps pros: weight, size, wind stability
    - NN Ring Clamps contra: weight loading on a lens and bayonet will exceed the rated, less universal design (1 ring clamp - 1 lens only)
    But I don't have opinion about weight of these factors. Is R1 rigid enough to use a nodal rail?

2. What is R1 Stop Plate? How to use it? Is it an additional option or the required part of panohead?
    as an example http://store.nodalninja.com/products...0-4-stops.html
    No image, no text info
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Valent View Post
    Hello!
    I have never used Ring Mount panoheads like R1 and I have 2 simple questions.

1. What design is better: NN R1 + NN Ring Clamps or NN R1 + nodal rail + FAS double clamp + camera L-plate (or standart plate if 8mm fisheye and fullframe body)?
    As I think,
    - NN Ring Clamps pros: weight, size, wind stability
    - NN Ring Clamps contra: weight loading on a lens and bayonet will exceed the rated, less universal design (1 ring clamp - 1 lens only)
    But I don't have opinion about weight of these factors. Is R1 rigid enough to use a nodal rail?

2. What is R1 Stop Plate? How to use it? Is it an additional option or the required part of panohead?
    as an example http://store.nodalninja.com/products...0-4-stops.html
    No image, no text info
    Sorry for the late reply.
    The main purpose of R1 is its compact size and light weight and also the ability to set it up very quickly. You only have one adjustment. When it is done, it can be memorize by an integrated stop plate. There are 2 kind of stop plates. One is adaptable and one is custom made to fit a lens with particular setting. The plate clip to the lens ring to form an integrated part of it.
    Back to your question. if you have an L-bracket already. You may just buy a light weight nodal rail. R1 will support the weight of >2kg. The weakest link is the lens mount. That said, a lot of people hold the lens to support the whole camera. I also see many pros hold the flash to support the whole camera. So if you care your everyday gears and gadgets well, you will have no problem with the lens ring mount. We have paid lots of attention to the safety of lens, our lens ring apply least stress on the lens barrel.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.