Switching NN3 from rotator to pole
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching NN3 from rotator to pole

Share/Bookmark
  1. Switching NN3 from rotator to pole

Users Country Flag

I’m about to purchase Pole Series 1, but am unsure how the attachment of the NN3 to pole works.

When shooting from the tripod, I use an R-D8 rotator. When I have my NN3 on the R-D8 Rotator, there are two small white nylon pegs in the lower horizontal arm that keep the the NN3 from slipping.

When transferring the NN3 from R-D8 to Pole Series 1, do these pegs have to be removed?

What’s the best option here?

Judy

Quote Originally Posted by Judy-A View Post
    When transferring the NN3 from R-D8 to Pole Series 1, do these pegs have to be removed?
    What’s the best option here?
    Hi Judy,

You should not remove the R-D8 from NN3 to attach it on pole ! You can't attach directly NN3 without rotator on top of Pole. Included axe with Pole will allow you to screw directly R-D8 of your NN3 on top of pole ;)

Vincèn

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com
    Users Country Flag

For the safest use of NNs on pole, get our Quick Mount Mini Adapter System.
    http://store.nodalninja.com/products...er-System.html
    It works for poles and RD4/8/16. You can quickly switch between pole and RD8.
    To do so, you need one more plate for your RD8
    http://store.nodalninja.com/products...per-Plate.html

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Judy,

I have done some playing around when the new pole1 system arrived. As mentioned, you can mount the whole NN3 on top of the pole with the screw that is delivered with the pole. This will be a fixed solution. For quick release, you may use the new mini system.

I personally feel this will be a lot of gear on top. I like the R1/R10 option. Of cause you have to buy new equipment.

For an overview of possibilities you may have a look to these pictures. Comments and set up by me. Used on own risk of the owner. Using a pole system means to look out for electrical wires in the surrounding. Download is under ©Nodal Ninja®2010-2011 :

http://homepage.mac.com/hindenhaag/f...0Varieties.zip

I have split my old R1 and use it in my favorite constellation with RD4 rotator below pole as shown in the pics. Lens ring for use on R1/R10 can stay on the lens when using it on NN5/NN3.

Regards,
    Heinz

Quote Originally Posted by Vincèn View Post
    Hi Judy,

You should not remove the R-D8 from NN3 to attach it on pole ! You can't attach directly NN3 without rotator on top of Pole. Included axe with Pole will allow you to screw directly R-D8 of your NN3 on top of pole ;)

Vincèn
    Question: Why do you need a rotator on top of the pole?
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Vincèn View Post
    Vincèn,

The RD8 is a heavy beast and there’s no way I’d want to put it on top of a pole, especially where it would serve no function. I don’t understand your comment, “Included axe with pole ...”

Judy
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Hi Judy,

I have done some playing around when the new pole1 system arrived. As mentioned, you can mount the whole NN3 on top of the pole with the screw that is delivered with the pole. This will be a fixed solution. For quick release, you may use the new mini system.

I personally feel this will be a lot of gear on top. I like the R1/R10 option. Of cause you have to buy new equipment.

For an overview of possibilities you may have a look to these pictures. Comments and set up by me. Used on own risk of the owner. Using a pole system means to look out for electrical wires in the surrounding. Download is under ©Nodal Ninja®2010-2011 :

I have split my old R1 and use it in my favorite constellation with RD4 rotator below pole as shown in the pics. Lens ring for use on R1/R10 can stay on the lens when using it on NN5/NN3.

Regards,
    Heinz
    Heinz,

Thank you! Thank you! Your pictures are wonderful at showing the comparative sizes and details of the components. I now understand how and where the Mini Adapter can be mounted.

I’m using a Nikon D5000 plus Samyang 8mm lens. While the Samyang is very good glass, I’m not that confident in the physical build of the lens casing and mounting collar and it’s ability to support the weight of the entire camera. For that reason, I won’t consider the R1/R10.

Judy
    Users Country Flag

Hi Judy,

Regards,
    Heinz
    Heinz,

Thank you! Thank you! Your pictures are wonderful at showing the comparative sizes and details of the components. I now understand how and where the Mini Adapter can be mounted.

I’m using a Nikon D5000 plus Samyang 8mm lens. While the Samyang is very good glass, I’m not confident in the physical build of the lens casing and mounting collar and it’s ability to support the weight of the entire camera. For that reason, I won’t consider the R1/R10.

Judy
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    For the safest use of NNs on pole, get our Quick Mount Mini Adapter System.
    http://store.nodalninja.com/products...er-System.html
    It works for poles and RD4/8/16. You can quickly switch between pole and RD8.
    To do so, you need one more plate for your RD8
    http://store.nodalninja.com/products...per-Plate.html
    Nick,
    Thanks for the reply. After viewing Heinz’s pictures I now understand how the Quick Mount Mini Adapter System is used. I hope you’ll get some similar pictures or diagrams, along with dimensions and weight info, on to the NN web site.

Your description of the Pole Series 1 says not to mount the poles directly on a tripod. In your opinion, is it safe to mount Pole Series 1 on an RD8 rotator on a tripod, using the Quick Mount Mini Adapter System?

Another question. If I remove the largest, 32mm section of Pole Series 1, can the Quick Mount Mini Adapter clamp be mounted to the bottom of the 28mm diameter pole? Could it then be mounted on the RD8 on a tripod?

If the poles should not be mounted on the RD8 with the mini adapter, another option for me would be to remove the center column of my tripod and insert the 28mm pole section. My tripod is a Benro C-298EC, which uses a 28mm diameter removable center column.

http://www.benro.cn/ensite/EnProduct...&ProductId=404

If this would work it would give me a lighter set of poles for hiking that would provide a modest amount of height when mounted on my tripod.

Judy
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Judy-A View Post
    Your description of the Pole Series 1 says not to mount the poles directly on a tripod. In your opinion, is it safe to mount Pole Series 1 on an RD8 rotator on a tripod, using the Quick Mount Mini Adapter System?
    No. The safety concern is from the torque of pole on the base of pole and tripod top disk. Whatever is added will not change this.
    QM mini should only be used to support a NN pano head, not a pole or anything else that has large torque.

Another question. If I remove the largest, 32mm section of Pole Series 1, can the Quick Mount Mini Adapter clamp be mounted to the bottom of the 28mm diameter pole? Could it then be mounted on the RD8 on a tripod?
    No, the 28mm section does not have anything for mounting a rotator or an adapter.

If the poles should not be mounted on the RD8 with the mini adapter, another option for me would be to remove the center column of my tripod and insert the 28mm pole section. My tripod is a Benro C-298EC, which uses a 28mm diameter removable center column.
    that is fine.

Nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

Judy,

I stripped the NN3 MKII and added the Quick Mount Mini system. I think the pics will explain enough ( Just quick shots ). The clamp rests on the rail, so the white pins may stay in their place.

I suppose Vincen wanted to mention that with NN3 on top of pole the camera is in line with the pole axis, when mounted to R1/R10, it is offsite.

I added a pic of my shaved Samyang mounted to the lens ring. I never had problems with even heavier bodies like D7000/D700 with the stability of the lens.

When you want to use the 28mm segment of the pole, you will end up with an empty tube as shown in the picture. The "rest" will extend to 2,10m. The inside diameter of the tube is 24,78 mm. I would try to add an removable insert to fill the tube before clamping it to the benro?

http://homepage.mac.com/hindenhaag/f...unt%20Mini.zip

Heinz

BTW: Coming from a RD8 Rotator, you have to take off the small black plate that fits to the white pins below the lower rail.
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 03-03-2011 at 05:02 AM.
    Users Country Flag

BTW: Coming from a RD8 Rotator, you have to take off the small black plate that fits to the white pins below the lower rail.
    HI Heinz,

I recommend to keep the black anti-twist plate in the NN3 rail when mounting to the QM mini.

Nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

Judy,

I stripped the NN3 MKII and added the Quick Mount Mini system. I think the pics will explain enough ( Just quick shots ). The clamp rests on the rail, so the white pins may stay in their place.
    Thanks for the photos, Heinz. Since I couldn’t find dimensions for the QM mini on the NN web site, I had no way of knowing exactly how it attached. I see that it's a bit wider than the lower rail of the NN3.

I added a pic of my shaved Samyang mounted to the lens ring. I never had problems with even heavier bodies like D7000/D700 with the stability of the lens.
    Okay, good to know.

The center-column clamp on the Benro tripod is circular and can’t be tightened very far. I doubt that it could exert enough force to damage the pole.

Judy
    Users Country Flag

HI Heinz,

I recommend to keep the black anti-twist plate in the NN3 rail when mounting to the QM mini.

Nick
    Nick, that anti-twist plate was glued to my RD8 when I received it. I don't know what kind of adhesive was used, but it seems quite secure. Does it normally just sit there, unattached?

Without a plate, I see a problem securing the QM mini bracket on the NN3 lower rail, in that there's very little surface area to provide friction.

I also wonder if the plate now glued to my RD8 will interfere with the mounting of the QM mini plate. I suppose it changes the length of screw required?

Please advise.

Judy
    Users Country Flag

HI Heinz,

Nick
    OK, Thx Nick. Makes sense to use the anti twist function for the clamp as well.

Mounting the clamp to the rail with the anti-twist plate inside the rail, make sure the pins of the plate are fixed to the T3 holes. Because of tight fit, it will be easier to take the plate to fix it to the Clamp to T3 holes first, then place this to the white pins inside the lower rail.

Heinz