Ulitmate M Series Pano Heads

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Ulitmate M Series Pano Heads

Share/Bookmark

Wow - 1000 posts! Keep up the good work Heinz! As for the body, I have a D700 w/grip.
    Users Country Flag

Thx Dee Dee,

Be sure I will go on. Cause I like NN and the friends on the forum.

A short consequence of using a grip : you will get a higher LRS = lower rail setting with a higher torque to the system. So you have to re level the system to be in level.

What is the profit of a battery grip? Quicker frames per second, more battery power. Towards the torque on the system. A second fully charged battery in your backpack and there is no need of a battery grip.

A better way to walk around the "bottle neck" during bracketing set up is to use a high speed CF Card with 90mb/sec for example and get rid off the higher torque. This is my personal experience. It also saves a lot of time to back up the info at home.

Even with battery grip using a bracketing setup you might feel the camera is stopping to shoot the last two shots of the bracketing set up. Why? Cause it takes time to store info on the CF card. Meanwhile you are waiting to get the storage ready and the camera will take the last two shots, everything might have changed on site: cars have moved, people are walking around to another place, trees or water with waves have moved.

For me, the better solution is to raise ISO to get shorter shutter speed, high performance CF card and to get along without battery grip. Does not matter if 9/11 pics per second, the last bottle neck is the buffer of the camera shooting in CH mode.

And let me tell you, with or without battery grip, once you get to the bottle neck of storing infos to the CF card and camera inside buffer, you will be stopped. Does not matter with or without a battery grip. This is my personal experience with D700 and even with D3 combined with Sandisk Extreme Pro with 90 mbps. Taking multi row panos with bracketing shots.

There are a lot of guys out there who like the battery grip, for me personally, I do not like it. To me there is no sense to wait for the last 2 pics/second to be backed up to CF card because of the real bottle neck. Storing as quick as possible with a high speed CF card will really be in advantage of the profits of a battery grip.

Cheers,
    Heinz

I'm not saying that I'll be using D700 w/grip for panos. It's just that I normally have it always attached. Probably,I won't be even using 14-24 or even more so 24-70 all that often for panos. Still, since I already own these lenses I might be tempted to give it a try one day. I'll be getting D3s soon so, it'll be similar size to the D700 w/grip. My question stands: Does the nadir adapter solve the issue for the 24-70 on D700 without the grip (or D3s) ?

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    What camera body do you use? Since the 210mm rail is on the way since yesterday from my favorite reseller Vincen / SkiVR FR close to NL, I will test it specially for you when it arrives and I will take Pics from the setup for you.
    Will be at your home today ;)

Vincèn

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com
    Users Country Flag

Vincen, you are so bloody right. I got the whole parcel in safe order.

Opening the parcel I did not succeed to reach the parts. Someone inside was fighting with swords to keep me away from them.. Showing my order papers to him, I succeeded.

This new Nodal Ninjian is really a tough guy.! (parcel included a Ninja Fighter 5x4 cm to protect the products).

Thx to your extraordinary service Vincen, I can test the nikkor 24-70/f2.8 with D3 with the 210mm upper lower rail _M1 for those who are waiting for results..

Plus the Zenith Nadir Adapter for R1 and the stop set for the 10.5 fisheye lens for R1.

Enough to do.

Thx once again and cheers,
    Heinz

BTW: Do you know why France won't get the efforts to shut down all nuclear energy plants like Germany? Cause Sarkozy is to small in height to be able to reach the switch
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 07-01-2011 at 09:41 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Hi and welcome to the forum,

a month ago EVI out BE was asking for a panohead. http://www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/9393/ clicking on EVI you can see the profile and can send an IM.

My experience with our resellers in NL: when they have to order something, it will take weeks to get it. The better stock and delivery is cameranu.nl, Foto Konijnenberg is just second choice.

The best choice to get your hardware as quick as possible in our area is Vincen, french distributor, in Grenoble. Great stock, he gets new equipment continuously in short periods of time, great knowledge, great panorama shooter. I had to wait for MFR 210mm 1 week, 2days of delivery from France to NL. www.magasin/skivr

Success,
    Heinz

For the people thinking "what is heinz talking about in the post above......"

Explanation: Heinz is replying to my fist post on this board, which has for some dark reasons disappeared after a day.

I probably offered my Nodal Ninja Ultimate M1-L with RD16 to cheap on ebay. I will not post the link again, otherwise this post will get deleted as well. You easily find it (Only one NN from belgium on ebay)

Anyhow, i will introduce myself (again). I'm new to the forum and just got my hands on a NN M1-L.

Marvelous quality although the downside is the weight which does not make it easy for travelling, which i really like to do.

I working with a D3 and a 14-24mm nikkor, which is to big for a zenith shot. The M1 nadir will change this.

I read in old post that Nick Fan thought the M1 Nadir should be available in july 2011. Now it that month, maybee Nick can tell us more please. Will the M1 nadir be available very soon? Thank you

Setting up and getting the right settings for the M1-L is much more difficult as i thought it would be.

I used several methods and my last 'the grid method', but i still keep small stitching errors although PTgui gives me Optimizer results "This is very good" of "This is good". I'm puzzeld about this and think it must be the setting on the tripod head which are wrong.

I'm using a Kirk BL-D3 (L-bracket) on my D3

I matched the L-bracht midpoint with camera to the midpoint on the clamp on the upper rail and should be in the middle.

I use a lower rail setting of 18,2 and an upper rail setting 14,6

Any one with a similiar setup? What are your LRS en URS?

Tips for the L-bracket to be in the right spot on the clamp? How do you avoid shifting the L-Bracket to high or to low on the clamp when attathing the camera to the tripod head.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zwaagmw View Post
    For the people thinking "what is heinz talking about in the post above......"
    Explanation: Heinz is replying to my fist post on this board, which has for some dark reasons disappeared after a day.
    Hi zwaagmw,
    Your post was more for the selling of your M1L so we merely moved it to the classified section of the forum. You can see the thread here:
    http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/show...495-M1L-w-RD16

Best
    Bill

Hey Heinz.
    How are your tests with the nikkor 24-70/f2.8 going?

Hello there group!

I am thinking about getting a new head mainly for gigapan takes. I'm planning to use it with a 5D (hopefully mkiii in a near future) and right now either with a Canon EF 100mm USM macro or the rather big Canon EF 28-300 L IS USM.

Will the new M series be a good choice for this?

One other thing i don't have too clear is the 7.5 degree "positive" stops of the upper rotator. Does this mean that these are "lockable" stops?

Any other suggestions for this setup?

thanks a lot!

Antonio
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zakato View Post
    Hello there group!

I am thinking about getting a new head mainly for gigapan takes. I'm planning to use it with a 5D (hopefully mkiii in a near future) and right now either with a Canon EF 100mm USM macro or the rather big Canon EF 28-300 L IS USM.

Will the new M series be a good choice for this?

One other thing i don't have too clear is the 7.5 degree "positive" stops of the upper rotator. Does this mean that these are "lockable" stops?

Any other suggestions for this setup?

thanks a lot!

Antonio
    The M1 will support focal length up to 200mm. The upper rotator has 7.5 deg interval and is locked at each interval.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    The M1 will support focal length up to 200mm. The upper rotator has 7.5 deg interval and is locked at each interval.

Nick
    Hi there!

I have a couple of more questions regarding the ultimate m for gigapanning.

Can the vertical lock be freed? (as in NN5) Say that for framing reasons sometimes I like to start my gigapan tilt at -2.5 and then increment by 7.5º steps (this is NN5 style for 200mm).

What would then be the mininal vertical increment? From what i see in the photos there are fixed marks every 7.5º but also I've seen two little calibration marks that should allow +- 7.5/2 ? ... is this right? Is the minimun vertical increment then 3.75º if unlocked?

I've read that the ultimate m2 will account for 400mm lenses ... any ninja-leaks about this?

thanks a lot ... your help will be much appreciated,

Antonio

Can the vertical lock be freed? (as in NN5) Say that for framing reasons sometimes I like to start my gigapan tilt at -2.5 and then increment by 7.5º steps (this is NN5 style for 200mm).
    nope the vertical lock is fixed and can't be released as with NN5 !

I've read that the ultimate m2 will account for 400mm lenses ... any ninja-leaks about this?
    M2 should include an upper lock with smaller steps, but not much details for now have leaked !

Vincèn

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com

Thanks Vincèn ;) ... help much appreciated! ... my NN5vsM1 starts to make sense!

So I'll assume then that the minimal vertical step for m1 is 7.5º (starting at 0º) ... just out of curiosity, what are the two little calibration marks then for?

cheers!

Antonio
+ Reply to Thread