Ulitmate M Series Pano Heads
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ulitmate M Series Pano Heads

Share/Bookmark
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    Clever mods - curious how the EZ-Leveler-II held up in this configuration as it would appear to fall outside the design limitations. Did the EZ-L lift a bit on the opposite side?
    Bill
    I didn't realize the EZ-Leveler-II had this limitation.
    Works fine when extended out like this with the Canon 5D mk2 and Canon 15mm lens.
    Tested it with the Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II lens and it will work without lifting when in the right orientation.

I guess if needed you could readjusted one of the wheels and re-level it when using a heavy lens.

Next week I will be working on 1 or 2 lower rail mods.

Roger Berry
  2. Nikon D300 w/RRS L-bracket lens settings

Attached is a MSWord doc with lens settings for use with the M1L Ultimate panohead. I am using a RRS L-bracket on my Nikon D300. Hope the information helps out.

I am really impressed at how smooth and easy to use the M1L is compared to the NN5 (which was a sweet piece of equipment just not super easy to change settings). Hopefully a Fanotec logoed carrying case for the M1L will be available for purchase in the near future.

karl
    Attached Files
    Users Country Flag

Hi,

thx for sharing. Could you please specify the lenses cause there are different models on some focus lengths.

Heinz

Sorry for not including the specific lens information on the chart. The lenses listed on the chart are: Tokina SD 11-16mm f/2.8 (IF) DX, Nikon 20mm f/3.5 AI Nikkor UD, Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AF, Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AFS, Nikon 50mm f/1.4G AFS, Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5, Nikon 85mm f/1.4G AFS, Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/4 AI-S.

I measured the thickness of the RRS L-bracket for Portrait position and compared it to the universal camera mount that came with the M1-L and the universal camera mount is 0.5mm thicker. The measurement for thickness was made at the base of the dovetail. So my chart can be modified to match the universal bracket by adding 0.5mm for the Portrait numbers. Since the universal bracket isn't a L-bracket there is no equivalent for the Landscape data on the chart.

karl
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kabkos View Post
    Tokina SD 11-16mm f/2.8 (IF) DX, Nikon 20mm f/3.5 AI Nikkor UD, Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AF, Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AFS, Nikon 50mm f/1.4G AFS, Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5, Nikon 85mm f/1.4G AFS, Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/4 AI-S.
    karl
    Thx a lot for specifying your lenses. I think it might be a good idea to ask you to add the quoted text to your list and send a new attachment. Otherwise it might be hard to follow up and people might miss this comment because of new posts. I tried to but I can not send attachment.

Nice set of lenses that you own. You miss a Samyang 8mm in that set to downgrade.

Regards,
    Heinz

Attached is a revised list with both a RRS L-bracket and Universal Camera Base chart. I have also added to the bottom of each chart a list of the lenses that the chart applies to.
    Attached Files
    Users Country Flag

Thx a lot Karl,

this will help us a lot to set up a certified LRS/URS list for settings.

May be I will contact you later on for the certified list.

Thx for your input taking your time to find out and share this on the forum.

My new M1-L is still passing customs. I am eager to test it. I will let you know about settings with different Nikon equipment. Nick is setting up a testified lens data base with special back plates for M1 to click to NPP. This will take some time. Your response helps us to set up this database.

Cheers,
    Heinz

Special Questions on IM appreciated.
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 05-11-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Hi Heinz,
    I went through my collection of Nikkor lenses and have updated the list to cover the lenses that I would use for panorama work (14 lenses in all). If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

regards,
    karl
    Attached Files

Karl

Very seldom I write on any of the internet forums. Your article on the lenses and their calibration is excellent. I ussually take photos of medical rooms at hospitals, these rooms ussually have tiled floors and ceilings. These type of floors and ceilings can cause serious parallax issues. Head calibration for these type of rooms is critical. During the last several years I have purchased many different types of pano heads and more or less all of them have the same issues. Manufacturers do not have a very good reference list of the various settings and all they do is to refer people to the callibration articles posted on the many ionternet sites. Several months ago I purchased a Nikon 8mm f 2.8 in mint conditions, these lens is also very succeptible to these calibrations points and there is very little support on the 8mm.

Your idea and contribution is excellent and should be continued to make this new head a successful device.

Thanks
    Elliot

Elliot,
    your comments regarding settings for lenses is what made me develop my list of lens settings. I hope the format that I used for the list is intuitive to users.

Since I use the RRS L-bracket I had to modify the list for the different base offset of the universal camera base provided by Fanotec. I looked at the list that I uploaded yesterday and I realize that I failed to make the offset correction. So, with egg on my face here is the corrected lens list. My apologies to everyone for not double checking my work.

karl
    Attached Files
    Users Country Flag

Karl,

Thx a lot for updating the list.

Just one question: why do you say 180mm lens not possible with RD 16. It would take 96 shots on D300. That would be possible with RD16.

Heinz

Heinz, you probably already know this, but don't do like I did and empty all 9 boxes in excitement. Keep the contents in the boxes as it will make assembly easier.

Cheers,

Carroll Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    My new M1-L is still passing customs. I am eager to test it. I will let you know about settings with different Nikon equipment. Nick is setting up a testified lens data base with special back plates for M1 to click to NPP. This will take some time. Your response helps us to set up this database.

Cheers,
    Heinz

Special Questions on IM appreciated.

Hi Heinz,
    you are correct, the RD16 can operate down to 3.75degree increments (96 shots). When I was building the chart I was looking at the rotator head and not the instructions for the rotator, I misread the Degree/2 settings. So, I pulled out the trusty manual and rechecked the lens chart (and boy did I misinterpret the RD16 markings). I have now corrected the lens chart. Glad you caught the error.

Attached is another attempt at getting the data out correctly. My apologies for misinterpreting the RD16 markings.

karl

PS: please feel free to edit and upload the chart, to upload go to the advanced reply section, click on the paperclip, find the file on your computer and upload it to the Nodal Ninja server
    Attached Files

Karl

Excellent....! Great idea and contribution.....!

Thanks
    Elliot
    Users Country Flag

Hi Carroll,

Thx for advice, still in customs. Would be nice to get it soon. May take even weeks. Grrrrr...

Cheers,
    Heinz