Ulitmate M Series Pano Heads

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Ulitmate M Series Pano Heads

Share/Bookmark

Quote Originally Posted by bbc597 View Post
    Was the NN5 the same with its 15 degree stops? (will not hold between the 15 degree stops)
    On NN5 you can unlock that 15º stop mechanism ;)

And the NN5L without the positive stops, how was it able to hold without moving?
    it was able to hold pretty heavy stuffs if it was tighten correctly (I use myself Nikon D3 with lens 14-24 on it without problems :) which is around 2.5kg for whole set ;)

Vincèn

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Vincèn View Post
    On NN5 you can unlock that 15º stop mechanism ;)

it was able to hold pretty heavy stuffs if it was tighten correctly (I use myself Nikon D3 with lens 14-24 on it without problems :) which is around 2.5kg for whole set ;)

Vincèn
    That is something unique in NN5, even > 3 yrs after its release.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Just to be clear, the new M1 upper rotator can only be used at the 7.5 degree stops?
    Users Country Flag

Just to be clear, the new M1 upper rotator can only be used at the 7.5 degree stops?
    yes. you can only shoot at 7.5 deg intervals, 15 deg intervals, 22.5 deg intervals, 30 deg intervals etc
    more than enough for spherical pano makers.

Nick

Fanotec

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    yes. you can only shoot at 7.5 deg intervals, 15 deg intervals, 22.5 deg intervals, 30 deg intervals etc

Nick
    With the longest focal length being ~155mm on a full frame camera mounted in landscape orientation with 15% overlap?

And with the longest focal length being ~230mm on a full frame camera mounted in portrait orientation with 15% overlap?
    Last edited by bbc597; 02-22-2011 at 10:04 AM.
    Users Country Flag

The NN5 had down to 2,5° marks on the upper rotator ring. Besides Vincen's set up I used it with 70-200mm as well without any problem in between the 15° stop mechanism. Even more torque to the upper rotator.

I did not try a NN5L. But I think it should be the same as NN5 upper rotator. I can not remember any question about the upper rotator of NN5L loosing its position since 2008.

Heinz

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    The NN5 had down to 2,5° marks on the upper rotator ring. Besides Vincen's set up I used it with 70-200mm as well without any problem in between the 15° stop mechanism. Even more torque to the upper rotator.

I did not try a NN5L. But I think it should be the same as NN5 upper rotator. I can not remember any question about the upper rotator of NN5L loosing its position since 2008.

Heinz
    Thanks Heinz...However I'm looking for answers on the new M1 upper rotator.
    Users Country Flag

I realized it. The answer was based on your questions. Right now there is no solution to set the upper rotator of the M1 to anything else but 7.5° x settings.

So if you need upper rotator settings besides this with 5° or 2.5° intervals, right now the only solution is the NN5/NN5L depending on your camera lens combination. So if you need this right now, try to get a NN5.

Nick knows about questions about longer focus lenses and their needs concerning rotator steps. He listens to customers questions. Right now, it is 7.5° on the upper rotator for M1.

Cheers,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 02-22-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Cool...

How about the focal length questions from above with the upper rotator at 7.5 degrees?

"With the longest focal length being ~155mm on a full frame camera mounted in landscape orientation with 15% overlap? And with the longest focal length being ~230mm on a full frame camera mounted in portrait orientation with 15% overlap?"
    Last edited by bbc597; 02-22-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    Users Country Flag

You can sort out the answer with all responses I suppose.

Heinz

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    You can sort out the answer with all responses I suppose.

Heinz
    I looked at all the responses, and my questions have not been answered.

Nick, can you help?

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post

Nick

With the longest focal length being ~155mm on a full frame camera mounted in landscape orientation with 15% overlap?

And with the longest focal length being ~230mm on a full frame camera mounted in portrait orientation with 15% overlap?
    Users Country Flag

Right.
    But I would be more conservative in the % overlap. For about 25% overlap and a full frame camera, max focal length is 135mm in landscape orientation and 200mm in portrait orientation.
    To support longer focal length, a bigger and more fancy rotator is needed. I reserve it for M2 which will also serve as a gimbal arm for tele lenses.

Nick

Fanotec

I have to say that after reading this thread and doing some measurements on the images I can only say one thing. Skip it and start again. Perhaps you will then be able to do a decent design which is usable for us who does not want to have 3 different panoheads in the bag for different lenses and cameras.

The number of design flaws on this is simply to much. I now need to find another panohead to recommend to people who asks me.

Hans
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hansnyberg View Post
    I have to say that after reading this thread and doing some measurements on the images I can only say one thing. Skip it and start again. Perhaps you will then be able to do a decent design which is usable for us who does not want to have 3 different panoheads in the bag for different lenses and cameras.

The number of design flaws on this is simply to much. I now need to find another panohead to recommend to people who asks me.

Hans
    hmm, what are the flaws? Please share them. You may save my company, my friend. :-)

ok, there are 2 obvious ones.
    1. upper rail (210mm in photo) is too long and it will get too much into the image.
    I check the NPP database, a shorter rail (170mm) will be just fine. It will be the one which is shipped. Price is adjusted in the listing. Even with this rail, it can still be a problem for smaller fisheye like shaved Nikon 10.5mm. The QR clamp position at the end of upper rail can be adjusted slightly. It will be fine for most users who use similarly sized lenses.
    well, if a user need to use very differently sized (wide angle) lenses, it will need another rail. I know this is unacceptable for you.
    solution: one more clamp can be added under the upper rail QR clamp to slide it along the rail. Each rail has sockets for installing a stop plate at the middle. This will keep the function of integrated stop plate.

2. the vertical head room is not enough for +90 deg zenith shots for some lenses. Right! but a "zenith" shot with smaller tilt angle is just fine. Lots of people do not take +90 deg zenith shot. Well, you can insist taking a perfect +90 deg zenith shot.
    Solution: we will have a nadir adapter very soon that will increase the head room by 30mm. I have checked my database. It should be fine for most lenses that one may want to use for spherical panos. If not enough, I can make a taller one. Nadir adapter proves to be a very helpful accessory. So it is designed to be part of the system. And it works much better than the one on NN3/5. The vertical rail is designed to work for super tele lenses >400mm fl, it is kept short to increase stability and reduce bulk.

Are there other flaws that worth my recall of M1? You will win a demo unit by naming any flaw that I fail to consider during the past few years. :-)

Any design has its pros and cons. The design I choose has greatest versatility and expandability.

Nick
    Last edited by nick fan; 02-23-2011 at 05:47 AM.

Fanotec

Lots of people do not take +90 deg zenith shot.
    I'll have to disagree. This is not the R1 series.

This is the M1 with an upper arm that's suppose to be able to "shoot up"?
+ Reply to Thread