Ulitmate M Series Pano Heads

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Ulitmate M Series Pano Heads

Share/Bookmark
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by johnchoy View Post
    I have the NN5 with RD 16. Does it mean I can buy the M1 Rails only ?

John
    all components are available individually.
    for prior NN users who bought new from authorized reseller, please wait for announcement of special discount and arrangement. :-)

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

congrats nick, the new heads looks awesome :)

one question, it looks like the camera mounting clamp can only be attached to the end of the rail, possibly limiting that configs use with fisheyes unless a ring mount is used instead of the camera mounting rail ?

will there be shorter rails or ideally, a camera clamp that can be positioned along the rail as opposed to just the end ? this would allow more versatility with fewer parts to pack in ones bag

ok, one more question, what is the approx weight of the M1-L ?

sam

Sam Rohn :: 360° Panoramic Photography :: Location Scout :: New York City :: www.samrohn.com

PanoPress :: WordPress Plugin for 360° Panoramas in Flash & HTML5 :: www.panopress.org
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Rohn View Post
    congrats nick, the new heads looks awesome :)

one question, it looks like the camera mounting clamp can only be attached to the end of the rail, possibly limiting that configs use with fisheyes unless a ring mount is used instead of the camera mounting rail ?

will there be shorter rails or ideally, a camera clamp that can be positioned along the rail as opposed to just the end ? this would allow more versatility with fewer parts to pack in ones bag

ok, one more question, what is the approx weight of the M1-L ?

sam
    you are a good observer. yes, part of upper rail may get into the image. we have 3 multifuntional rails at the moment. One is thin with a length of 160mm (shown in M1S), other 2 are thick with lengths of 170mm and 210mm. The M1L shown has two 210mm rails. I just find that 170mm rail will be a better fit for the upper rail. So 170mm rail will be the one shipped and M1L price is reduced by $10. even with 170mm rail, significant amount of rail may get into the image for a compact fisheye lens such as a shaved Nikon 10.5mm on FF camera. As you have suggested, a lens ring will be an excellent solution. Besides, we are making one more clamp which can be installed under the upper rail end clamp. This clamp will allow the camera or lens ring to slide along the upper rail. So, there is no real problem here. :-)

M1L with RD16 has a weight of ~1.5kg. The thick rails are much stronger than NN5 and will support tele lens such as 300mm F2.8 very well when the M2 is out. Did I say there will be lots of products to be released this year? :-) The number of product released this year may exceed sum of past 7 years!

M1S with RD8 is about 1.1kg.

Nick
    Last edited by nick fan; 02-14-2011 at 12:56 AM.

Fanotec

Ill wait till the Ulitmate M -series also be for sales with out RD8 or RD16. I've already a RD16 with my NN5.

Nick, i've a Canon 1D MkIII witch will be the best solution for me?

Thanks!

Johan
    Question

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    The number of product released this year may exceed sum of past 7 years!
    Nick
    Will any of your new products be accessories for the NN3? Like a universal lens collar to clamp onto a compact camera adapter tube that would slide along the top rail of the NN3 and hold the camera in perfect alignment -- unlike the T-XX adapters that allow the camera to twist out of alignment?
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Seacat View Post
    Ill wait till the Ulitmate M -series also be for sales with out RD8 or RD16. I've already a RD16 with my NN5.

Nick, i've a Canon 1D MkIII witch will be the best solution for me?

Thanks!

Johan
    We will try to do the best for our beloved customers. To qualify for our upgrade discount, you can buy an M1 without rotator, together with a default rotator for NN5.
    Canon 1D series and Nikon D1/2/3/4 series will need the larger model.

Nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    Will any of your new products be accessories for the NN3? Like a universal lens collar to clamp onto a compact camera adapter tube that would slide along the top rail of the NN3 and hold the camera in perfect alignment -- unlike the T-XX adapters that allow the camera to twist out of alignment?

an updated T-adapter will be released in the near future.
    I will see how I can make a cheap universal lens ring for P&S. :-)

Nick
    Last edited by nick fan; 02-14-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Fanotec

Will the next models have more smaller precise positive stops at the upper rotator, supporting "longer" lenses? If so, any idea of when?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    The first model of this modular system is the M1 which has 7.5 degree precise positive stops at the upper rotator, supporting lenses from ultra wide angles to 200mm telephotos. It allows templates to be used to speed up stitching and reduce stitching errors.
    Bill
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pedro.silva View Post
    Will the next models have more smaller precise positive stops at the upper rotator, supporting "longer" lenses? If so, any idea of when?
    yes, I plan to release M2 to support 400mm lens this year. This require new lower and upper rotators.
    No concrete time yet.

Nick

PS some people show very high interest in the M2 offline. Here is some more info.
    M2 will co-exist with M1. It will be targeting people making high resolution mosaic using lenses >200mm eq. fl. It can also be used to make spherical panos. but it will have larger rotator foot prints. It is bigger, heavier and more expensive. The lower rotator will only have very fine intervals to support >200mm lens. Fisheye users will need to skip lots of stops. Well, one can use other rotators such as RD8/16 instead since it is completely modular.
    Last edited by nick fan; 02-23-2011 at 07:41 AM.

Fanotec

Thank you!
    yes, I plan to release M2 to support 400mm lens this year. This require new lower and upper rotators.
    No concrete time yet.

Nick

No concrete time yet.

Nick
    What will the new M2 upper rotator positive stop(s) be?

Also, will the new M2 lower rotator have fewer detents with the smaller/finer detent settings? (Samller/finer than the current 3.75)
    Last edited by bbc597; 02-21-2011 at 02:56 PM.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bbc597 View Post
    What will the new M2 upper rotator positive stop(s) be?

Also, will the new M2 lower rotator have fewer detents with the smaller/finer detent settings? (Samller/finer than the current 3.75)
    it will have finer detent/ stop to support >400mm eq lens. No more info at this stage as it is still undervelopment.
    It will be achieved by replacing the lower and upper rotator of M1L.

Nick

PS some people show very high interest in the M2 offline. Here is some more info.
    M2 will co-exist with M1. It will be targeting people making high resolution mosaic using lenses >200mm eq. fl. It can also be used to make spherical panos. but it will have larger rotator foot prints. It is bigger, heavier and more expensive. The lower rotator will only have very fine intervals to support >200mm lens. Fisheye users will need to skip lots of stops. Well, one can use other rotators such as RD8/16 instead since it is completely modular.
    Last edited by nick fan; 02-23-2011 at 07:41 AM.

Fanotec

O.K., I got it...thanks.

With the new/current M1 upper rotator and its 7.5 degree positive stops, can I use other settings on the upper rotator besides those at the positive stops?

Quote Originally Posted by bbc597 View Post
    With the new/current M1 upper rotator and its 7.5 degree positive stops, can I use other settings on the upper rotator besides those at the positive stops?
    Nope it won't hold well if you try to lock it between two stops, and very quickly it'll move to nearest stop !

Vincèn

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com

Was the NN5 the same with its 15 degree stops? (will not hold between the 15 degree stops)

And the NN5L without the positive stops, how was it able to hold without moving?
+ Reply to Thread