How do you connect an RD16 to an NN5?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you connect an RD16 to an NN5?

Share/Bookmark
  1. How do you connect an RD16 to an NN5?

Just received an RD16 to upgrade my existing NN5 rotator. The unit came with a bunch of parts but no instructions, nor have I been able to locate any instructions for download on the main web site.

I suppose I could just mess around with everything I now have and see what permutation and combination of parts go where to make the thing work, but I'd rather have actual instructions on-hand to put the thing together properly without damaging something.

Did the instructions get missed in the shipment?

Best regards,

Andrew Kulin
    http://www.andrewkulin.com
    Users Country Flag

Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum.

I do not know what is sitting in your kit, but let us take this picture to get you on the road:

http://store.nodalninja.com/products...16-NN5-5L.html

Take off the old rotator from the lower rail. The 2 small silver crews have to be fixed besides the center rotator screw hole from below. They are anti rotation screws which go to the two small holes on top of the RD16. Sometimes you have to force it a little bit to move in.once thee lower rail is set to the rotator with the small silver screws, take the big center screw ( hex on top ) to fix the lower rail to the rotator. From top side of the lower rail through the rail into rotator. Once fixed, screw Nodal Ninja Plate on top of central screw.

The adaptor screw - below the NN Sign on the right hand side - is used inside the bottom of the RD16 to be able to fix the rotator to either 3/8" or 3/4" male screw on top of Tripods, Ballheads etc. Fix it with a coin if use is necessary.

The washers or rings are normally used to fix the lower and upper rail mounting screw inside the rail. Add the mounting knob to the rail, then add the small ring first, moves inside the rail, then add the bigger ring to keep it from falling out.

Hope this helps. If rings or washers serve for something else, I am sure Bill or Nick will correct me. I do not own a standard rotator on NN5. I only changed RD12 to RD16. I know there is another set for NN3 which asks to add plates etc.

Just feel free to ask again if necessary.

Regards,
    Heinz

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewKulin View Post
    Just received an RD16 to upgrade my existing NN5 rotator. The unit came with a bunch of parts but no instructions, nor have I been able to locate any instructions for download on the main web site.
    I'll be uploading a video showing how to do this in a day or two. Stay tuned!

Badders

Badders:

Did you ever get a chance to upload that video?

Best regards,

Andrew Kulin

Kinda.... I've done it but wasn't too happy with it. Anyway since you've asked for it I'll upload just now and then probably make a better one soon. I'll update this post with the link later....

Update: Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHNuG3D0mG8
    Last edited by badders; 01-21-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Badders

Quote Originally Posted by badders View Post
    Kinda.... I've done it but wasn't too happy with it. Anyway since you've asked for it I'll upload just now and then probably make a better one soon. I'll update this post with the link later....

Update: Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHNuG3D0mG8
    The video is fine - makes it really easy to understand. But there is one problem and that is the layout of the NN3 does not remotely match that of the NN5, at least not my NN5.

Attached photograph shows my NN5 opened up (pieces on the upper left, lined up next to the RD16, and bagged pieces of parts below). Lots of pieces but none that I can see that match up with what was shown in the video.

So I took a look at what Hindenhaag typed up and out of the bag of parts I screwed in 2 of the screws with (allan key heads) into the base of the arm (there were 2 sets of 2 different types of these screws - I hope I used the correct set), and the heads of these 2 screws which protruded I popped into the two holes on the RD-16. I then used the new knob and screwed it on tight.

It seems to do the trick. I am however left with a plethora of washers, rubber gaskets and other odds and ends that I have no idea why they were included.

Anyhow I think I got it, although I would still like to see a video showing it being done correctly to confirm it in my own mind.

Thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5397.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	140  

Best regards,

Andrew Kulin
    Users Country Flag

Hi Andrew,

Your lower rail is nearly ready. You just have to take out the brass click screw on the right hand site of the lower rail stop plate. You see two small holes on the right side of the brass click screw. These take the small silver screws in the second bag from the right. The big small screw in the same case may be place into the bottom of the rotator, to function as an adapter screw: in case your tripod screw is smaller: 1/4" in stead of the 3/8" screw. The rubber rings of this bag are use on the threads of the big fixing screw for the vertical rail to keep it in place.

I hope you have a long screw fixed to the "Nodal Ninja top plate". Take off the plate of the screw. Now: once the small silver anti rotation are fixed to the lower rail and the click screw is taken off, you can place the lower rail on top of the rotator. Take the |O zero mark of the rotator in front of you and fix the lower rail standing out to the right hand site. Then take the long screw of the NN Top Plate and fix the lower rail to top of rotator. Then add the top Plate. Ready to go. I think you already did it right.

The bag with the metal,black and white washers, second from the left, contains parts used inside the upper rotator. No need to upgrade your rotator. Rubber rings serve for the fixing knobs of camera and vertical rail as well.

The very tiny imbuskey can be used to adapt the lowest small ring with the degree markings of the rotator to the Zero marking on top of it. You will find two small screws 180° visa versa, open a very little bit, adapt the markings and re-fix. This is added in case the markings are displaced a little bit during assembly.

Hope now you are ready to go.

https://skitch.com/hindenhag/rmsck/a...9-x-1250-pixel

Feel free to ask.
    Cheers,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 01-27-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewKulin View Post
    The video is fine - makes it really easy to understand. But there is one problem and that is the layout of the NN3 does not remotely match that of the NN5, at least not my NN5.
    Yes, the video shows how to connect an advanced rotator to a NN3 and NOT a NN5. The connection method is slightly different hence the reference to the 2 different connection kits in the video. So the method for a NN5 is a little different to a NN3. I'll make another video for the NN5 in due course but thought at least this was enough for you to get the gist of what you'd need to do for the NN5?

Badders
+ Reply to Thread