Nikon D200 with Sigma 8mm ex dg and NN3

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nikon D200 with Sigma 8mm ex dg and NN3

Share/Bookmark
  1. Nikon D200 with Sigma 8mm ex dg and NN3

Question

Been having focus issues especially with objects far away, could also use more clarity in end result. Anyone have any ideas on good camera settings for the D200 to fix these issues?
    Users Country Flag

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Could you please tell more about your settings, ISO, Aperture, shutter speed, set of focus, did you use hyperfocal distance and did you make a lens test seri to check sharpness to focus settings at different apertures?

Regards,
    Heinz

Quote Originally Posted by Phillips360 View Post
    Been having focus issues especially with objects far away, could also use more clarity in end result. Anyone have any ideas on good camera settings for the D200 to fix these issues?
    Set focus to 1 meter (turn Off auto focus) and tape down focus ring so it doesn't move again.

Set aperture to f/8 and shoot in manual mode only.

Badders

hello Heinz,

Thanks for the quick reply and the welcoming. I am not very familiar with the d200, but I will check my current settings and get back to you. I appreciate you offering to help!
    Thanks,
    P360

I concur with badders.

If you set the focus around 1m @ f8 your depth of field is something like 0.2m to beyond infinity.
    One thing to watch with the Sigma 8mm fisheye is that it is possible to set the focus beyond infinity (i.e. so that white marking line is well to the right of the infinity mark on the lens), which will give you a soft focus.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigma 8mm focus.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	130  
    Users Country Flag

I agree with the other comments of the experienced colleagues.

Most of the lenses do their best over all at f/8 or f/11. For me personally, the Sigma is a good lens, but compared to the nikkor 10.5, it is more sensible to sharpness. Using same settings with the two lenses, Sigma tends to be "soft, unsharp" earlier than the Nikkor lens using different apertures and focus settings.

To get you on the road, use the settings mentioned by Badders and Hugh.

To learn about basics of your lens camera combination, you have to go through a test. Take a road with cars parking along the street. Take different apertures. For each one take a set of focus settings from 0.5 to infinity. Then you will learn about the setting to use to get the right depth of field for your special setting.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/

Cheers,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 12-22-2010 at 09:51 AM.
+ Reply to Thread