Coming Soon: Zenith / Nadir Adapter for Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coming Soon: Zenith / Nadir Adapter for Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10

Share/Bookmark
  1. Coming Soon: Zenith / Nadir Adapter for Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10

Users Country Flag

Since their introduction in 2009, Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10 have been the obvious choice for panoramic photographers needing an ultra compact pano head for traveling, backpacking or when weight and size is a concern. When used with a circular or cropped circular fisheye lens, with an equivalent focal length less than 13mm, it is possible to encompass the zenith (up shot) without actually needing to shoot this separately. What this leaves however is the rotator and tripod footprint and / or some blank space at the nadir (down shot) which is usually patched or covered using logos or effects like mirror balls, and other various patching techniques created using photo editing software. There are many however who prefer to take separate nadir, and even zenith, shots by various means to not only improve overall quality at these points but also to create a full 360x180 degree free floating spherical panorama "without" evidence of tripod caps or photo editing. When used with a full frame fisheye lens, with an equivalent focal length of 15-17mm, the zenith and/or nadir shots are mandatory if those areas need to be included. These will usually be taken from a position that is offset from the ideal NPP (no-parallax point), which requires a more complex workflow during post editing.
    Fanotec is proud to announce a compact and easy to use "Zenith / Nadir Adapter". Using this adapter will not only make the lives of perfectionists and full frame fisheye users much easier but will also cut post production times down, making it a perfect companion to the R1 and R10 series heads.

The Zenith / Nadir Adapter allows the users to tilt their R1 / R10 to one of three preset tilt angles, -90 deg or -(90 ±7.5 deg). This will allow all models of R1/ R10 to take nadir shots at exactly -90 deg or -90 ±2.5 deg depending on the tilt angle of R1 / R10 in use. The shift in vertical height of the NPP can be compensated by raising the tripod center column. The included lock ring will aid in remembering the required height compensation. The tripod can be moved laterally to bring the lens back to NPP as close as possible. Together with advanced stitching software, the shooting of a perfect nadir and/or zenith shot is now possible.

Shooting nadir to zenith is as simple as rotating the RD4 rotator by 180 degrees.
    This adapter can also be used with R1 / R10 on a pole or monopod without an RD4 rotator (the rotator should be placed at the base of pole or monopod). The optional Quick Mount Mini is needed to keep the footprint as small as possible to facilitate stitching if using in this fashion.

The adapter together with the lock ring will have an introductory price of only $39.95 and will be available in the first quarter of 2011.
    Last edited by nick fan; 12-14-2010 at 03:24 AM.

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Nick,

this will compensate the gap to shoot an easy zenith and nadir with R1 R10. As often, a very good result and design. Another proof that you listen to your customers. It is worth waiting for it.

Cheers,
    Heinz

fantastic news, i'll definitely be interested in this. Thanks Nick

Brendan

Hi
    Is this compatible with a ballhead on a tripod and the EZ Leveler II?

Excellent idea ;)

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com
    Users Country Flag

Zapyan,

I am not sure but I suppose the adaptor screw uses the same thread as the blue one of the EZ-Leveller II ( Nick ? ): 3/8" which fits most of the tripods and ball head threads.

The R1/R10 System supports fisheye lens camera body combinations only. But this is the smallest and lightest panohead you can use. In combination with the new Zenith Nadir Adaptor for R1/R10, you will be able to shoot these in NPP without a need of handheld shots for example. Great addition Nick.

But this is another thread to the NN5 question.

But think of what you like to use: ball head + Ez-Leveller?

A Serious answer: most of us do not use a ballhead. Tripod, optional EZ-Leveller II in between, R1/R10, NN3 / NN5 on top. In case you use your ballhead on the tripod most of the time, you may use 2 different center columns on your tripod if it is possible, or you use a quick release system to change from Ballhead to NN.

If you like to use your ballhead, you can level with your ballhead and you do not need the Ez-LevellerII. This would be too much.

Hope this helps a little bit,
    Heinz
    Users Country Flag

the zenith / nadir adapter has 3/8" male and female thread. so it works for ballheads and levelers.
    as heinz pointed out, ballhead plus leveler is heavy. use either one. the torque in nadir position is quite large, if you camera is heavy, a good ballhead is needed.

Nick

Fanotec

Hi
    I actually use the NN5 with R16 rotator + EZ Leveler combined with D40 + Sigma Fisheye 3.5.

I saw the R1 and am amazed by its simplicity and lightweight.
    I plan to use the D3100 with the fisheye and other lenses too, like a fixed 35mm for gigapano images.

I planned to purchase a manfrotto ballhead
    http://www.manfrotto.com/product/837...atic_Ball_Head
    with easy clamps for fast attaching/removing.
    The ballhead should replace the EZ leveler.
    a) As I interpret your posts, you say that the leveler is more precise then the ballhead? Shouldn't I upgrade

b) Can the actual R1 be used for gigapanos without fisheyelens ?

c) More often news for 2011 are posted in the forum. Is it possible to get some lights on what will be the upcoming "tools" beside the nadir/zenith adaptor for 2011. I do not want to invest in equipment I know will be updated in a month or two.

Beside I'm more then satisfied with the NN3 + NN5 I own, so I know I get value for money and that my equipment lasts some time.

Thanks for a reply.

PS If I post n the wrong forum, feel free to move it.
    Users Country Flag

a) When you loosen the ball head with heavy gear on top, it might be possible that everything crashes down. This depends on the softness and way which is needed to fix and loosen the ballhead to level.
    Ez-Leveller II won't allow the gear on top to move sideways as a ball head does. So for me the Leveller is safer to use and cam stand a lot of torque.

b) R1 / R10 is a modell to be used with fisheye lenses and Ring connection only.

c) you have to have a look to this: this was presented in Tuscon begin of this year besides the new pole etc.

http://moonshine.homedns.org:2655/pa...ts-april-2010/

Aks you lokal dealer about time of delivery begin next year, 2-3/2011

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 12-22-2010 at 03:35 AM.

Hi
    Really appreciate your fast replies
    So majority of upgrades seem to focus n clamp of the NN system and ease of manipulation.

Regarding R1: only for fisheylenses.
    a) But can it not be used with fixed focal length lenses? Why, because of the specific rings?

If I use the R16 with R1 (the one without rotator) I can setup all angle need/require for the specific lens. And Best: I just need one setting for the lens and can use any camera I want.
    I find that system amazing. Hopefully there will be more development in this field as I love the idea to have one lens/panoring combo per lens.

b) Perhaps if autofocus are problematic imagine a system with a card you point at with your camera. Depending on the zoom/focal length set some values appear/sharpen on the card. User can then setup his NP position and start shooting. What do you think of ?
    Last edited by zapyan; 12-22-2010 at 06:56 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zapyan View Post
    Hi
    Really appreciate your fast replies
    So majority of upgrades seem to focus n clamp of the NN system and ease of manipulation.

Regarding R1: only for fisheylenses.
    a) But can it not be used with fixed focal length lenses? Why, because of the specific rings?
    Because R1/10 will move the lens away from the NPP when tilt angle is changed. So R1/10 can only be a single row pano head. For 360x180 deg pano, only fisheye lenses have enough coverage.
    On the other hand, it is possible to make more lens rings for primes, should the they suit for SAFE clamping. Then it can be attached to the new Modular system to form a very compact pano head.

Nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

Yes, you have to use the specific ring.

Have a look: http://store.nodalninja.com/categori...or-R1-%26-R10/ This is what is available right now. Only some very specific zoom lenses like Tokina 10-17mm with it's own ring.

There has to be a place on the lens that can take all forces of the system without disturbing it and which is not moving to take the ring, plus there have to be customers to buy a special made ring. Plus this system originally was designed for 3, 4 or 6 shots around. Light weight, for crowded places, outdoors, can be used on a monopod etc. Now with the new Nadir Zenith adaptor coming early 2011, this is a full system on it's own.

But!? If you like to step into experiments: The clamp of R1 / R10 is a arca style clamp. It will take all arca style camera plates. Wimberley, Kirk, Real Right Stuff etc. Mount this plate in lens axis to you camera body. It has to be a little bit longer than the NPP distance to use the total length of the clamp of R1 /R10 because of torque. Check the amount of stops you need for your lens, might be it is not available on the RD4 rotator. But you can split the R1 into top and rotator. Use a pole in between or the place the top on top of the RD16 with the new quick mini system. Try to play around as I did.

My personal comment: you are fully equipped right now. If you like to shoot in crowded places with little space around you, like to use a pole, take a tiny little equipment on the road, add a R1/ R10, Mini adaptor system, add a monopod, a baby tripod or a tiny nice Gitzo tripod. Or the new bottom to monopods! Brilliant! Thx guys.

There is only one problem left to you: The menu card to pick a dish is expanded month by month. Because Bill and Nick as owners try to give best service and they listen to customers demands. And the result of all this are the new products and the best service I ever met. The only gap you have might be the R1/ R10 in the menu of your equipment. Be sure I know what I am talking about using R1, NN3 MKII, NN5, Pole System, Ez-Leveller II, with several Nikon Bodies and lenses. My intension: to give fair comments based on own experience to try to see a light at the end of a tunnel with growing infos and possibilities, you must not follow up my own faults having spend a lot of money in other systems.

This forum always has been open for new solutions. May be we'll hear about one.

Cheers,
    Heinz

BTW: Feel free to ask

And as you can realize with Nick's answer while I was sending mine, "they listen, no problem to contact, great service"
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 12-22-2010 at 08:26 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Let's try to go back to basics.

Beside everything else, focus has to be set to manual. You can not use autofocus. But this has nothing to do with "NP", non parallax point. NPP is the upper rail setting which serve to have the same view though you are turning around your system. "your are standing on one place just turning around." Always the same point of view to see what is around you.. So you will get a good stitch in the pano. But when you start moving around to take the second view, to the side or forward, you take another point of view. Suddenly you might see another building being hided from the first point of view. This is something different. You can not stitch this. This is NPP you have to find for your camera lens combination at first.

Now the focus problem: your eye will try to adopt to every point you are looking to. But not the lens. Being related to the aperture you use, you can focus to different points. Once you focused, there is a certain room of distance in which you feel everything is sharp. This is the depth of field. Related to the aperture you use on a special lens. And then you will find "hyperfocal distance". A focus setting which is used to a special aperture to get to know that there is sharpness from...."1.5 m to infinity".

Just try to google: NPP, Depth of field, Hyperfocal Distance, etc

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/

If you already know about all this, just ignore the link and my comment. We do not know how much experience you have.

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 12-22-2010 at 09:49 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Make sure they get sent to Vincen in France as I want one pleeeease!

Quote Originally Posted by spiritburner View Post
    Make sure they get sent to Vincen in France as I want one pleeeease!
    Don't worry as soon as they are avalaible, I'll have them in stock

Vincèn

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com
+ Reply to Thread